Skyline "command Performance"

RonLyke

I have a Skyline with cap and body marked "1/10 14c YGF" . (Yellow Gold Filled, I assume). Somewhere I saw a reference to a Skyline that's gold filled over sterling silver called the "Command Performance". On Richard Binder's site, he refers to the Command Performance as solid gold. Is mine likely to be GF over sterling? Did they make GF over anything else?

Thanks,

Ron

(edit---the title should be capitalized)

(edit--14c)

Edited by RonLyke

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BamaPen

• RonLyke

• Addertooth

• mreich1964

The "Command Performance" Skylines had solid 14K gold caps and barrels, so your gold-filled pen is not a "Command Performance" model. The pens with gold-filled cap and barrel were called "Gold Award" and some of those were vermeil, which is gold-filled over sterling silver, while others were gold-filled over brass. The vermeil versions are relatively rare, and were most likely made during the war years when brass was a strategic metal, but silver was not. The gold-filled over brass versions are much more common.

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

Thanks, Bama,

How do I tell the difference without filing the gold off?

I don't know...perhaps someone else here can help with this question.

John

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head:

- Check the color of the metal on the inside of the cap, and if possible, barrel

- Measure the specific gravity of one of the parts and see whether it's closer to that of sterling or brass

Edited by Tweel

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Just a couple of ideas off the top of my head:

- Check the color of the metal on the inside of the cap, and if possible, barrel

- Measure the specific gravity of one of the parts and see whether it's closer to that of sterling or brass

Inside the cap might work, but the barrel on these all-metal Skylines is lined with a separate metal tube which will obscure the inside of the barrel itself.

The Command Performance pens are marked 14K. The Gold Award pens are marked as gold filled.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I understand that now, but as BamaPen said, some Gold Award pens are gold over silver, and some are gold over brass. How does one know which, or is it important (unless we're just talking about bragging rights)?

Another suggestion. If it is vermeil, your will note the silver color at any wear areas, check the pivot point of the lever and possibly where the clip might rub the cap.

"You want to be a writer, don't know how or when? Find a quiet place, use a humble pen." ---Paul Simon

• 3 years later...

I was unable to complete this post without a picture. Picture would have shown silver under rolled gold in the cap of a Gold Award pen.

Update, I deleted all my previous pictures, I hit the maximum limit. The example of the Gold Award in the picture has a silver inside to the cap barrel.

Often on the Gold Award and Command Performance pens, the Celluloid under the cap shell shrinks with time. This causes the shell over the celluloid core

to fit loosely and move downward. This can expose more of the inside of the metal shell. This picture was taken before the loose shell over the cap was

repaired. It gives a good view of the silvery underside of the metal Rolled Gold shell. Under the rolled gold is silver. Why silver? Where there is such a thing

as white brass, but it is brittle due to a high zinc content, as such, white brass cannot be formed and shaped via the methods used to make the cap.

Optionally, it could be a nickel based brass, which is also silver, but that metal does not oxidize like silver does. Here is a rare peek of the inside showing the likely sterling

silver base metal. Some nice white oxidation as well as deeper black oxidation. There is also some shiny, where the celluloid core abraded the gold rolled shell.

**warning** Now that I know the forum as strict picture limits, this picture will go away in a few days. This explains why there are fewer pictures in this forum

than I expected.

Edited by Addertooth