Extra Fine, Fine And Extra Extra Fine Pen Recomendations?

Tayanna

Family is coming to visit me next month from China and said they would be delighted to bring me a few pens that I would be interested in.

I have browsing TaoBao looking at the different pens. I am thinking about getting a JinHao x450 in a 0.5 mm nib and a Hero 136 in a 0.38 nib.

Do any of you have recommendations for pens that are 0.7 mm or smaller? I am partial to the fine and ultra fine nibs. Thanks!

P.S. Links to Taobao are welcome. :D

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Frank66

• bobje

• Tayanna

• garyc

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally would not get the x450. The pens weight at 42 grams total is too heavy to use posted. The body alone (unposted) is 27 grams, is barely OK for me.

So check the specs of the pens you are looking at, so you don't get an unpleasant surprise.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

You may want to check the Pilot 78G or it's newly arrived clone Lucky Wing Sung 659. You may find lots of reviews of the 78G pen in the internet, it requires no recommendations, although it is a Pilot pen, it is readily available in China. The Wing Sung 659 pen is newly arrived and you can find a review here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/304999-lucky-659-wing-sung-659/?do=findComment&comment=3593112 Both pens are light in weight and are extra fine in writing.

Or you can get a Chinese fountain pen that you like with a regular medium-broad nib and replace it yourself with an EF Jowo or Bock nib, this usually cost an extra 10-15 dollars, depending on the nib size (#5 or #6) plus shipping. You may find lots of ways how to do this nib replacement on the internet and on this forum also.

Regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

- Kaigelu 316 Modification (250 #6 Bock Nib / Beaufort Ink Converter)
- Titanium Bock Nib - Kaigelu 316 - Beaufort Ink

- Bock Rollerball Nib In Jinhao 886 Pen - Beaufort Ink Converter

- No affiliation with pen industry, just a pen hobbyist.

- It matters what you write, only for us it matters what we write it with.

Jinxing 28 or Jinxing 26. Very interesting pens that are difficult to obtain in the US. Also called Golden Star, and often mistranslated as Beijing Venus. Seele , a very knowledgeable FPN contributor, has great insight on this topic.

If you're comfortable with Taobao, contributing a tutorial on the Taobao process for this forum would be terrific. EBay is easy by now, and Rakuten is a little tougher for everybody, but still manageable. Taobao is pretty opaque. Let me know by PM if I can help.

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

bobjpage, many thanks for letting us know of the Jinxing 26 and 28 pens, I was not aware of them until now. They sure are worth trying them out! Judging from the reviews you recommended above that I checked, I came to like both pens, the 28 better, they have been added high in my wish list.

When I first joined FPN, bobjpage was kind enough to be the first one to welcome me in the forum. I truly appreciate it bobjpage! So please, let me take this opportunity to congratulate you on your appointment as a moderator of the "China, Korea and Others (Far East, Asia)" and also the "India & Subcontinent (Asia)" sections of the FPN forum.

Best Wishes,

Photios

Tayanna, Photios, here is 2012-13 background from Seele and others on the Jinxing 28 and 26 pens.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter | Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

Bobjpage, thanks for letting us know about these wonderful pens. I had already checked the link you mentioned, both pens are a gem. I found them on Ebay only with the steel nibs. I was not aware of Taobao. i need to check this out, Just give me some time and I will post back again. Until then, warm regards, Photios

Wow! I just wanted to say a HUGE thank you to everyone who has responded.

bobjpage,

I love your suggestion on a tutorial for TaoBao. I will agree. TaoBao is very intimidating and has a huge learning curve. I still have not figured out how to use an American card on it but once I do, I'll see about doing a write up for everyone.

Cheers!

Taylor

Tayana,

Sorry for coming in late.

Personally I quite like to collect and use pens from the less well-known, short-lived, and dare I say "provincial" makers, but that's my own taste really. But if you like fine nibs, one category worth investigating is what they call "accountant", designed to write in old-style ledgers. This means the pen needs to write legibly in tiny writings, with good flow control even with pigment ink, and less prone to drying which makes the hooded nib design more favourable.

Hope this is of some help.

No, I am not going to list my pens here.

.. which makes the hooded nib design more favourable.

Indeed the Jinhao 15 nib is hooded and is a reliable fine writer.

Awesome! Family arrives in about 14 days and I will get to see the pens I ordered. I've got some JinHao pens and some Hero's coming. I think I ordered more pens than I need but I am thrilled with the ones I selected.

I'll be sure to share pictures (and thoughts) when they get here! Thanks for all the suggestions and help!

I think I ordered more pens than I need

Now, that has a familiar ring to it.

Although, you may soon find that you "need" many more.

Ian

I have three Jinhao 15, one black, red and blue. They are nice to have them inked with corresponding color inks. They have F hooded nibs which are really smooth. I would definitely recommend them for smooth fine writing inexpensive pens. They are the imitation of the Waterman Serenite, which is a superb looking pen, also quite larger in size and price; it is quite luxurious and expensive (~$1000).

I have an extra black Jinhao 15 that is leaking ink from the nib hood from the very start, I was reimbursed from the seller. One particular thing I do not like about this pen is that it dries after 1-2 weeks of not using, which is typical of many other inexpensive pens as well. Also, the pens are not too wet also, which can be an advantage to me personally, as the ink dries quickly on the paper.

Please find below a writing sample of the pen comparing it to some other pens. Sorry about the quick jot, my handwriting seems more terrible than it usually is. Also, I personally prefer pens with a stronger clip since I usually like to carry my pens in my pocket, however, with these Jinhao 15s I prefer to keep them on my desk mostly. To be more precise the clip is strong, but rather short for my liking.

Overall impression, the Jinhao 15 is one of the best Jinhaos I have, along with the x450, x750, 159 and 886 which also receive favorable remarks from my standpoint.

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/B5A63316-D5B8-4BA0-A3ED-AC3FC2BAE354_zpsce3uftjg.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/B1A2BF73-D84A-452F-8915-6F5EE070AB14_zpsdrea72bg.jpg

http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah12/phzervas/BB0DAEF0-782B-43B1-9F01-0AE4B15C439D_zpsvyq4wjqd.jpg

Please forgive me for my terrible handwriting, this is a quick writing sample of my Jinhao 15 F comparing it to Jinhao x450 with EF Jowo nib from Anderson pens, and Pilot Lucina M and F nib. The Pilot Lucinas can write even if left unused for months, the same applies a little less so for the Jinhao x450 with the EF Jowo nib. However, my Jinhaos 15 usually will dry out if not used for a couple of weeks. Overall, their nibs are smooth and write as an F nib size fountain pen.

Best regards,

Photios

Edited by Frank66

Photios,

Helpful photographs, as I just ordered a couple of these. The silver center band really seems to complement the blue color well.

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

ITALY AND THE UK

Yes, I like all colors, the burgundy is astonishing in real life, the blue is great too, the black finds most everyday use as I do not like to show off with my pens too much, strange as this may seem for one who posts photos of one's own pens, .. well perhaps a little less modest only in this forum, I guess ...

Best Regards, Photios

Edited by Frank66

I just bought versions in wine, black and red to supplement my blue one. An ebay seller is offering 20% discount on 2 or more :-)

You may find the site or it's app aliexpress easier. It's all in English and really intuitive, being nearly exactly like eBay. You can even see a list of what has arrived, what has shipped, waiting to ship and processing payment. You can also make a wish list. And MOST items are free shipping and no minimum purchase. You can also get coupons to use with the app on your phone or tablet and using it on the phone is much easier than eBay, I think.

May I add one fountain pen in this list of extra fine chinese pen recommendations:

the HERO LISEUR 606 NOBLEST EF nib, extra smooth, never dries even if left unused for months, bought around $18 with box last year. The only bad about this pen is the little silver colored ring on the grip section above the nib, which contrasts with the remaining gold colored finials of the pen. It doesn't show too much, but one of these days, I may try to paint it gold. Other than that excellent pen, highly recommend it, it is an excellent EF writer. Regards,

Photios

• 3 weeks later...

I may be late to this post but figured I'd chime in:

I've been enjoying a Wing Sung 659 with a XF nib

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/231796608336-0-0/s-l140.jpg

and a Wing Sung 9902 (copy of a Sheaffer Triumph nib)

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/121935106058-0-1/s-l140.jpg

Gotta say, I really love these and the filler on the WS9902 seems to be holding up. Each cost under $10 USD.

dan