The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Please Help Id This Vintage Wearever Ballpoint Pen

wearever ballpoint pen identify vintage

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bettibriedad

bettibriedad

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 03:26

I would greatly appreciate the community's help in definitely identifying this vintage Wearever ballpoint pen which I purchased on ebay a number of years ago.  Somehow, I thought that I was ordering a fountain pen but I must have overlooked something because I received an interesting ballpoint instead. I've found practically no references to this pen on the internet and very few photos. The photos I have found are on ebay or other auction sites like here and here  and here.  In Speerbob's listing on ebay, he describes the pen as circa 1957 but gives no other info regarding the model or series.  The closest I've come to identifying this pen so far is with the help of PenHero's site here.  The cap on my pen is certainly the same style as the Wearever Supreme line of fountain pens albeit my cap is gold and the ones in PenHero's images are silver.  Still, the lines at the base of the cap and the style of the clip are almost identical.  As you can see from the photos attached, the pen must have had some kind of replaceable ballpoint/refill.  Certainly those must be long gone by now, but I may try to syringe fill the one I have and cap it in some way with silicon grease, wax or some kind of small stopper.

I realize that this pen isn't really especially valuable from a collector's standpoint, but like many of you I enjoy knowing as much of the history behind my collection of pens as possible.  Thanks in advance for whatever insight you can offer!

Regards,

Chris

002-001.JPG

003-001.JPG

004-001.JPG

005-001.JPG

006-001.JPG

007-001.JPG

Sponsored Content

#2 bettibriedad

bettibriedad

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 April 2016 - 01:30

Anybody? Got anything? Thanks!

#3 Zookie

Zookie

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,131 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2016 - 03:05

Hi! I didn't answer because it's a hard one to pinpoint, and I wouldn't want to give you any false information. That being said, my guess would be that it's from the late 1940s. It might not have had any specific model name or number.
I had one that I converted to use with a BIC Cristal refill, an easy job.
Good luck in your search!

#4 bettibriedad

bettibriedad

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 April 2016 - 02:02

Thanks for the feedback, Zookie!  I really appreciate it.  Would you be willing to share a little more about how you did the conversion with the BIC Cristal refill?  I'm afraid the process is not obvious to me unless it involves dismantling the entire screw-out point section somehow.  Thanks again.

#5 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,194 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2016 - 22:28

Anybody? Got anything? Thanks!

it's always a dilemma. Saying something like, interesting pen but I don't know, so you will have a load of replies which are unhelpful, or looking and going to the next post.

Usually, no answer means people don't know.

You could try to post the question also in the USA forum. There may be members not frequenting this forum who do know. You might get remarks about it not being a FP, but just shrug them off.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#6 wags

wags

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 July 2018 - 14:45

I found one just like this today.   It was in a junk drawer box at an estate sale...

It's a neat old pen, but I've never seen a refill like that...

There was also a sealed "Flair Pen" refill from 1968 in the box.  I didn't even know those could be refilled.  I can't decide if I want to open the package.

mike

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wearever, ballpoint pen, identify, vintage

Sponsored Content

|