Skygold Calligraphy Set

GJMekenkamp

Hello!

Italic writing is something I would really like to learn.

On ebay I found this calligraphy set (SkyGold):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SkyGold-Calligraphy-Fountain-Pen-With-6-Calligraphy-Nib-Original-Brand-New-/281430255450?hash=item41868ce75a:g:m2QAAOSw7PBToU-l

Does anyone know whether this set is good (or at least good enough for a beginner)?

Greetings,

GJ

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GJMekenkamp

• ksm

• naimitsu

• LizB

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about it.

I'd rather go with something of known quality, like Pilot Parallel, Rotring Art Pen or Manuscript.

For beginner I would suggest Pilot Parallel 2,4 mm (or even wider for first tries). It is a prooven desing. You can refill cartridge with bottled ink or use this pen as eyedropper.

Manuscript Italic pens are very good for formal italic, their nibs are sharp (close to dip pen nibs).

Pilot Parallel 2,4 mm

It says there is a 'cleaning-converter', but could I put Quink Bl-Bk in there as well and write with it?

Will 2.4mm be wide enough or too wide on the long term?

Pilot Parallel 2,4 mm

It says there is a 'cleaning-converter', but could I put Quink Bl-Bk in there as well and write with it?

Will 2.4mm be wide enough or too wide on the long term?

Unfortunately, the cleaning converter is only good for that, if that. For whatever reason, it doesn't seem to want to slot onto the feed end and does nothing but wobble. It seems to fit like a normal squeeze converter in my other Pilots, but just does not like my parallels.

I would just refill one of the cartridges that comes with the pen with a blunt syringe or pipette.

Or buy one of the CON-50 twist converters. Those seem to fit just fine.

I don;t know that particular set, but there are a few topics on here that discuss budget calligraphy sets. I have a Sheaffer set, which has a fine (0.8mm I think), Medium (1.1) and broad (1.5) which is OK. It can be a bit dry sometimes. These 3 nibs are ok - for practice, the Broad one seems the best.

I'm sure I read somewhere that it is best to start with a wide nib, so the 2.4mm pilot parallel is a lovely practice pen - but you will be writing letters that are around 2cm tall. You will get through a LOT of paper and ink. The pilot parallels can be converted to eyedropper-filled pens. (I just refill my old cartridges too).

Italic drawn with 2,4mm nib has x-height of 12mm, this gives 36mm from top of ascender to bottom of descender, or 7 lines per vertical A4 page.

A lot of paper, and quite a bit of ink, but our hobby is hard on trees. Big letters are much better suited to show imperfections in curves of your strokes. Later on you can switch to narrower nibs.

I've used Sheaffer Italic Calligraphy with broad nib (2.0 mm), and I hate this pen's performance. I need to push ink into feed every half a page, and it is a hard starter.

So what mm's are you using normally?

I've found a place in my city where they sell these pens, I'll make sure to pay them a visit!

Hey, GJ,

How is it going? While I have not used Sky Gold pens, I have tried a few other sets from India and some Hero low-enders via Singapore. Do work out fairly well, at least, they usually work. But the fiddle-factor is high and usually discouraging to a beginner. Should work out okay but I never especially liked working with pens as light and fragile as the Sky Gold appear to be.

For good practice and learning, nothing beats a few Brause or Wm. Mitchell nibs and a good pen staff. Great for learning, especially if you are looking more at calligraphy and artwork. For everyday writing, any good, quality fountain pen with an italic nib may be acceptable. Of course, that is a fair amount of coin invested. England has some good sales on ebay for Platignum sets, Osmiroid pens, etc. Not sure how much your postage may be.

Then again, haunting your local stationary store may be the way to go. Just keep an eye on things and develop a friendship with the clerks.

Enjoy,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Hello Randal,

Doing great, getting to understand the 'fountain-pen-life' more and more, even started tuning the nib on my Jinhao 450 fountain pen :). How are you?

For the Netherlands I think Pilot Parallel is easier to get hands on, but I will keep an eye on Ebay for the Platignum sets (this is the set Lloyd Reynolds uses in his italic writing series I believe).

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,

GJ

Everybody thanks for the advice.

So in short: learning calligraphy with a bigger nib, about 500 sheets of paper and 2 ink bottles. After that use an italic nib (1.1mm?).