Faber-Castell Writink

Angel91

Plastic pen, means finally a FB pen that can be ED-ed. Not sure about the wooden ones though

I think the wooden ones are plastic pens with just a thin wooden surface. The inner parts are plastic, I guess. So the ED conversion seems possible.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Old_Inkyhand

• Feanaaro

• Angel91

• MrsHobie

well, a wooden pen also can be all made (the body / barrel) from pure wood, just with plastic/metal threads ring on the end.

but I am not sure about fabers, hard to see inside :-D

Edited by pkotrcka

... I believe in purple ink

Seems like a promising beginner model. Has anyone seen them in the flesh in North America? They're not on the US or Canadian FC sites, but I do see them on various European FC sites.

well, a wooden pen also can be all made (the body / barrel) from pure wood, just with plastic/metal threads ring on the end.

but I am not sure about fabers, hard to see inside :-D

Ambition is wood over brass. This one will be definitely wood over plastic, the inside of the barrel won't be wooden. At least that's what a few people (who managed to test the pen) told me.

People are really satisfied with this pen. They say the nib is very nice, some say it is ever better than in Basic. I'm not sure if I would buy this pen for myself, but it could make a nice gift for the younger ones.

I just received an email from FC Canada and the tell me the North American launch will not be for another... year.

:huh:

Their pens are available in several shops that I know of, so I suppose there is a market for them. In any case, I'll probably end up ordering one from Europe!

If you like wood, the WRITInk can be a perfect 'toss around' pen. If you have a wooden Ambition, you should be gentle with it. Avoid flying with it, rapid temperature changes, ink stains... If you use some hand balm, be particularly careful. Sometimes the wood becomes a bit grey if you use it after having applied a moisturiser, even if it is already quite a few hours later.

EDIT: ...but Ambition is a wonderful pen, I hope you'll be very satisfied with it. Give it some time - it writes well out of the box, but it writes even better after a few days of usage. And a bit wetter.

Aha! Mine has been writing very well from the moment I got it, but it's an EF nib; it's been in rotation, I'll try to write more with it. EF sort of doesn't make Tsuyu Kusa justice.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

• 1 month later...

Sorry to grave dig an old thread. I really like the look and price point of the writink. Has anyone managed to get their hands on one yet?

Sorry to grave dig an old thread. I really like the look and price point of the writink. Has anyone managed to get their hands on one yet?

I'm currently quite short of money, so I haven't bough it (yet). I have read a few opinions about it. All are positive, but these are usually based on impressions, not full reviews. People say that the nib is very good and the 3D fingerprint provides a good grip. It is made of durable plastic, but it has a metal tube inside to make the pen heavier and more balanced. I believe it will disappoint those who wanted to convert it to an eyedropper.

Check out this Reddit review.

I'm currently quite short of money, so I haven't bough it (yet). I have read a few opinions about it. All are positive, but these are usually based on impressions, not full reviews. People say that the nib is very good and the 3D fingerprint provides a good grip. It is made of durable plastic, but it has a metal tube inside to make the pen heavier and more balanced. I believe it will disappoint those who wanted to convert it to an eyedropper.

Check out this Reddit review.

The metal tube can be extracted quite easily. Actually mine came out attached to the short cartridge. I am not sure there are no holes at the end of the barrel.

I've just got one of those here in Italy (from the physical school "stiloestile" in Rome. I got the plastic black one, as the wood apparently is yet unavailable. I got a fine, because unfortunately they didn't have extra-fine at the moment. Unlike what the video review of the wood model said, it writes just like a Faber-Castell fine, which is to say thinner than most German fines, but not nearly as thin as a typical Japanese fine. Unlike the Loom-Basic-Ambition-Ondoro nibs, this one has a little bit of line variation if pushed, it's obviously not flex or anything, but you can apply some pressure to go from a fine to a medium-broad i'd say.

The pen has metal in it, I'd say brass from the look (though it's not very heavy, certainly much lighter than the ambition, so it may also be something else), and also a spring at the end of the barrel (which keeps the spare cartridge in place without rattling, if you have one), thus eye-dropping seems out of the question.

Overall it writes well, as expected from F-C, and it is a very nice pen for the price. I'm not sure the grip's shape works perfectly for me, but that's bound to vary a lot from person to person.

I like the sound of these pens, and the price for the resin ones makes them very affordable.

Here's a link to some more pix of all the wood options (scroll down to Novelty Autumn 2016 ....) They don't seem to be available yet, even though we're past September, sigh.

http://www.stonemarketing.com/catalogues/Faber-Castell_2016_Design_Catalogue.pdf

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I also noticed that some converters, the large ones like the ubiquitous Schmidt K5, may not fit because internally the barrel becomes too narrow for them.

Edited by Feanaaro

You are right. The wooden ones are not there yet. I don't know why, though. I am glad you like the resin models. I have become slightly attached to this pen and this thread - what is weird, because I don't own it and I don't work for Faber Castell (Faber Castell, I'm waving to you ;) ).

One of the users of the FOP (one of the Polish pen forums) posted a review of WRITink (the plastic one) a week ago. I'm quite busy, so I didn't decide to translate it, but if you are interested, please shoot me a PM and I will see what I can do :)

Edited by Old_Inkyhand

• 2 months later...

A quick update.

Two people from a Polish pen forum complain about cracking section (photos). They believe it is a design flaw, so I thought you might want to know about it. It is of course much more visible on the white version.

I haven't used mine much in all this time. The F is too wide for my writing. When the wood ones are finally available (if they ever will... any news?) I think I'll get an EF and see how it goes.

Hmm, thanks for posting about the cracking. Still, it's a very nice writer. I've only run one cartridge through mine, no problems yet!

I bought an F-C converter at the same time, but it doesn't fit - the barrel is too narrow so as you screw on the barrel it turns the converter piston.

Anyone know of a converter that does fit?

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

Hmm, thanks for posting about the cracking. Still, it's a very nice writer. I've only run one cartridge through mine, no problems yet!

I bought an F-C converter at the same time, but it doesn't fit - the barrel is too narrow so as you screw on the barrel it turns the converter piston.

Anyone know of a converter that does fit?

Have you tried without the metal tube which came inside the barrel?