Help I.d. This Dip Nib? Cheap Chinese Nib?

TexJake

Howdy All, just looking for a little help/advice here... Looking for an I.D. or a good recommendation of something similar. My apologies for simple stuff here, I am still very new to dip nibs.

A friend of mine have me this when they found out I was interested in calligraphy. It came in a set called "The Calligrapher's Studio" by Claire Secrett. Neither this book nor my initial searches online have turned up an answer as to the maker or name of this nib. I am aware this is a very entry level, basic/cheap nib, but that suits me for now... Although I would be interested in others' thoughts and recommendations.

I like the hooded design, as I can get about 20-30 words on my practice sheets at a time, which is great. Are there other widely available nibs like this that anyone can recommend? Or something better? I haven't been able to find anything similar at the local art store.

Here's a couple pictures, sorry I can't do much better. These photos show the markings as well (or better, in fact) as I can see them IRL.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TexJake

• smk

• Randal6393

• aclef

Hi, TexJake, Welcome to FPN!

Inexpensive or not, no nib that gets such lovely lettering is cheap. I remember seeing similar nibs listed, seems maybe older Esterbrooks? The clamped-on reservoir on the top of the nib reminds me of Tachikawa nibs or Tape nibs. Both nibs are mostly broad-edged, not pointed.

If you want to go modern, there are many excellent pointed nibs available these days. Although the vintage nib crowd doesn't much like them. My favorites are the Gillot 303 or 404, the Leonardt Principal EF, the Brause Rose nib. And there are others around.

Why not go to John Neal Booksellers (www.johnnealbooks.com) and look through their site? Then order 3 or 4 each of the nibs that look promising to you.

Best of luck,

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

Randal,

Thank you for the welcome and the compliment!

I hesitate to present any photos of my practice work, as I have only been really practicing with a dip pen (other than doodling "neat looking" letters with no real regimen) for about a week. Thin lines are still shaky in places, and my shades need more consistency. But I am very much enjoying the process!

Your suggestions for other modern nibs are much appreciated. I have seen some of those names written elsewhere as well, and will consider picking a few of each up to try.

I still would like to try and find some sort of pointed flexible nib that has a reservoir of sorts. I know this one will need to be replaced eventually, and I have an idea of using a nib like this to add a few lines of text to each page of my fountain pen ink catalog/journal. I have read that many fountain pen inks do not cooperate well with dip nibs, mostly due to viscosity and surface tension issues. The 6 or 8 that I have tried with this nib have all performed at least well enough that I think I could use this nib as a part of my ink catalog system's pages. My thinking is that this reservoir helps hold the ink, even when it does not stick to the nib itself very well.

I hope that isn't confusing... And thank you again for the welcome and recommendations!

• 4 weeks later...

Howdy All, just looking for a little help/advice here... Looking for an I.D. or a good recommendation of something similar. My apologies for simple stuff here, I am still very new to dip nibs.

A friend of mine have me this when they found out I was interested in calligraphy. It came in a set called "The Calligrapher's Studio" by Claire Secrett. Neither this book nor my initial searches online have turned up an answer as to the maker or name of this nib. I am aware this is a very entry level, basic/cheap nib, but that suits me for now... Although I would be interested in others' thoughts and recommendations.

I like the hooded design, as I can get about 20-30 words on my practice sheets at a time, which is great. Are there other widely available nibs like this that anyone can recommend? Or something better? I haven't been able to find anything similar at the local art store.

Here's a couple pictures, sorry I can't do much better. These photos show the markings as well (or better, in fact) as I can see them IRL.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Mobile%20Uploads/image_1.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg

Hi there,

Your dip pen nib is made by a Chinese brand called上海燈塔牌 (Rough translation Shanghai Lighthouse Brand), nib number 426 I think.

I think these nibs were made around 90s in China. If you would like to purchase more then it would be easiest for you to purchase them on the Chinese online shopping mall Tao Bao, but it is only in Chinese:

https://world.tmall.com/item/10089585458.htm?spm=a312a.7700714.0.0.RZjk5K

I do know there are online people who does TaoBao group buys, maybe some luck there?

BTW, does this nib have any line variation? I have the nib 126 and it stores a lot of ink but doesn't have any variation at all. It produces a good consistent monoline though. I can see if I can find a handwriting sample if you are interested.

Cheers!

Wonderful info, thank you!! I will definitely have to look into how to purchase from Tao Bao if that is a good source. I have done a little bit of looking around, and the best I could come up with was this "Skyists Comic Pen Set" which includes what looks like the nib I am after, but I don't want to be buying an entire set just for that one nib - I would rather be able to buy several of this nib.

As to your question of flexibility, there is some flexibility in this nib. It is not super soft, or what I have read as "wet noodle," but does offer good variation for my usage. Here's a couple quick shots of some messing around with this nib.

Noodler's Walnut

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Pen/A1313BDC-F6FF-4C0C-86CA-85CE08EEE9C0.jpg

Diamine Sherwood

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Pen/421BDDFA-5344-4311-8F02-AFBF640497C8.jpg

Copperplate Exemplar

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Pen/530A5CBC-A430-48BF-99BB-2CCFA2C52C64.jpg

Sailor Nioi Sumire

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l218/blindmouse4/Pen/8F23067F-9E4C-43E8-B34D-6673F84A03BD.jpg

So, I have found these nibs for sale on TaoBao, and can get them inexpensively, but almost feel like its a waste to get less than 25, since shipping + broker fee (TaoBao requires Chinese bank/payment source, so I'll have to use a broker) will cost the same or more up until about 15-20 of them. Any interest in joining in a purchase of a few of these?

Or anyone else interested? If not, I'll likely just end up with quite a few extras, which is also okay.

Thanks again for the information and pointing me in the right direction!

Frankly, I wouldn’t bother. The few modern Chinese nibs I’ve seen have not been of the greatest quality and I think you’re better off buying Leonardt, Speedball, Hunt, or Brause nibs from John Neal or Paper and Ink Arts. What style of writing do you want to pursue?

Frankly, I wouldnt bother. The few modern Chinese nibs Ive seen have not been of the greatest quality and I think youre better off buying Leonardt, Speedball, Hunt, or Brause nibs from John Neal or Paper and Ink Arts. What style of writing do you want to pursue?

Thanks for the reply!

To be honest, the major reason that I am interested in this particular nib is that I have been able to use it with all of my fountain pen inks with no problems. I realize that is not necessarily an ideal thing to do, but I really like playing with different inks, and using this nib has allowed me to add some new writing to my ink journal/binder.

I'm thinking that I may be better served in this purpose by finding a good flexible fountain pen, I just haven't wanted to spend that kind of money on a pen that I won't use regularly.

But, to answer your question, I am currently practicing Copperplate/Engrosser's Script, but I recognize that this is not a good nib for that in the long run. I do plan to make a purchase of some quality nibs from John Neal Booksellers, I have seen that recommendation repeated here.

Thoughts on using this nib for ink journaling?

Using a different nib should not affect your ability to use fountain pen ink – they’re all just untipped bits of steel, after all. I’d probably buy a Falcon style nib, since they were reputedly the highest-selling style of dip nib and were used for general correspondence. Because of that, NOS nibs are still readily available and because they’re only very slightly flexible they escape the high prices that afflict the Spencerian and OP nibs. There’s a BIN on Ebay right now for 30 Esterbook Falcons at $15 (Ebay auction number 162027472882).

You could also try some of the school nibs, which still sell cheaply.

Edited by dhnz

This nib has a reservoir on the top which might help FP inks flow better as well as hold more ink for general writing purposes. Falcon nibs are quite forgiving in this respect too but might not hold as much ink :-)

- Salman

This nib has a reservoir on the top which might help FP inks flow better as well as hold more ink for general writing purposes. Falcon nibs are quite forgiving in this respect too but might not hold as much ink :-)

- Salman

Im sorry, I might be missing something, but what are you referring to with "this nib" at the beginning of your reply? I am interested in trying these Falcon nibs, and may give that ebay listing a shot, but one of the reasons I was looking to replace this Chinese nib was the reservoir on top helped hold the FP ink quite well.

The reservoir doesn't actually help the nib handle fountain pen ink any better, it just holds more ink per dip. Some fountain pen inks work well, some do not, and the reservoir won't make much difference.

I second the idea of vintage nibs (says the collector of vintage nibs). The Esterbrook 048 Falcon is a good suggestion. They were the top-selling US-made nib for over 70 years. Pretty much any Esterbrook will get you a nice nib. Some are better than others, but the Esterbrook dip nibs were known for consistent quality and durability, especially anything pre-"Made in USA" (1930), but the post-1930 nibs are also great quality for the most part and only suffer in comparison to the earlier Esterbrooks.

But since you're looking to do calligraphy, you will have to look carefully for the right nib, because many of the older nibs are only semi-flexible, to make them work better for rapid business writing. Older 048's can be fairly flexible, but maybe not as flexible as the nib above.

I would look for some vintage Hunt 56's or Palmer 5's or Zanerian 3's. Also, Esterbrook A1's or 333's will flex like you want. You won't find one with the reservoir, but the quality will be very good.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

Im sorry, I might be missing something, but what are you referring to with "this nib" at the beginning of your reply? I am interested in trying these Falcon nibs, and may give that ebay listing a shot, but one of the reasons I was looking to replace this Chinese nib was the reservoir on top helped hold the FP ink quite well.

I was referring to the Chinese nib in the original post. It has a reservoir on top. (sorry for not being clear in my reply)

The reservoir doesn't actually help the nib handle fountain pen ink any better, it just holds more ink per dip. Some fountain pen inks work well, some do not, and the reservoir won't make much difference.

But it does.

The reservoir does help regulate the flow even though this might not have been the primary purpose of it. I believe it is because the bulk of the ink is kept away from the tip of the nib. This is more noticeable with 'wetter' inks i.e. the ones that would normally be unusable without a reservoir.

I have managed to 'tame' a few inks that were unusable with dip pens using a reservoir. Whether a reservoir would make any ink usable is debatable but it does make a difference in many cases.

- Salman

But it does.

The reservoir does help regulate the flow even though this might not have been the primary purpose of it. I believe it is because the bulk of the ink is kept away from the tip of the nib. This is more noticeable with 'wetter' inks i.e. the ones that would normally be unusable without a reservoir.

I have managed to 'tame' a few inks that were unusable with dip pens using a reservoir. Whether a reservoir would make any ink usable is debatable but it does make a difference in many cases.

- Salman

Very interesting to know. Thanks.

“When the historians of education do equal and exact justice to all who have contributed toward educational progress, they will devote several pages to those revolutionists who invented steel pens and blackboards.” V.T. Thayer, 1928

Check out my Steel Pen Blog

"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the mistake is to do it solemnly."

-Montaigne

This has been my experience thus far as well. While I have very limited experience with dip nibs in general, the few others that I have (speedball and hunt nibs from a small package) tend to have problems with some wetter inks, while this nib seems to do okay with them.

Most inks that give me issues are wetter (some Diamine, several Sailor, and many Noodler's), but several of these do mostly okay with this reservoir. If I flex too quickly, or use on more absorbent paper, this "helping" effect is diminished, and I can still end up with puddling or unexpected pooling.

Thank you all very much for your advice and help with this!!

• 1 month later...

Hi.

I have many nibs from the same company,including 100 101 126 426 707 824 ,etc.

among them, 101 (a super fine crow quill nib), 426(as you posted), 824(basically the same as 426) is suitable for Copperplate. 100,126,707 are only suitable for general writing.

i'm very familiar with 426(i have NOS boxes of 426 from different era)

before 90s, the company is named "Shanghai pen nibs factory", and nibs of that era are of good quality, the point is rounded that are not scratchy at all. the edge of the nib is polished as well. The engraved word are very clear on these nibs. Those nibs are not common in shopping website, i get them from a auction website.(about 40rmb(~$6) a box of 100nibs, but this price is no longer available)

Some time after 1993, the company was transformed into "Shanghai Stainless steel Material Factory",and changed their major business into Stainless steel material processing, but still keep producing some popular type of nibs, including 426. But the quality significantly dropped, a little more scratchy, but still working. If you buy 426 on a chinese shopping website, those seller providing a QC certificate in a box should be of this era.

Soon the company ceased producing nibs. But some people managed to get hold of those machines, and start to produce "fake" 426s. These nibs are really bad, often there are only 1 working nib out of 10. The tip is often very scratchy.

if you buy a whole box of them, there will be no QC certificate in the box, or with a certificate not stamped with a date.These nibs are now most common on the market.

ralph

• 3 months later...

So, I have found these nibs for sale on TaoBao, and can get them inexpensively, but almost feel like its a waste to get less than 25, since shipping + broker fee (TaoBao requires Chinese bank/payment source, so I'll have to use a broker) will cost the same or more up until about 15-20 of them. Any interest in joining in a purchase of a few of these?

Or anyone else interested? If not, I'll likely just end up with quite a few extras, which is also okay.

Thanks again for the information and pointing me in the right direction!

Hi there, I'm not sure if you have already ordered some or if you were still hoping someone would reply but this is MY FAVORITE nib ever and I would be interested in ordering some depending on the total cost. Edited by jdcalligraphy

One thought that occurred to me is that your problems with ink may be related to cleanliness of the nib you are using. There are videos on YouTube that explain how to clean oils off a dip nib and prepare it for writing. And if your ink floods the page, a bit of gum arabic added to the ink may help tame it. The Walnut ink you use is a good one, I like it and mix it every once in a while. My personal favorite is Old World Iron Gall ink. Holds up well and creates such lovely swells and hairlines.

Best of luck to you, keep on workin' on the hand.

Yours,
Randal

From a person's actions, we may infer attitudes, beliefs, --- and values. We do not know these characteristics outright. The human dichotomies of trust and distrust, honor and duplicity, love and hate --- all depend on internal states we cannot directly experience. Isn't this what adds zest to our life?

For what it's worth, I have some top resevoirs from William Mitchells "Decro" pen nibs as well as some that fit underneath the nibs (William Mitchells "Poster Pen " nibs), and reuse them by sliding them onto other parallel sided nibs (like many of the G nibs are). They work great. Reusing them on different nibs seems a good idea, and works well, and gives a flexible nib with good ink holding capacity. Of course this is only useful with dip pens not fountain pens