The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

The New M-2!

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 DallasCJ

DallasCJ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2016 - 12:41

The pen looks like a rebadged Indian Camlin pen to me, however, you can buy 10 Camlin 47's for the price of one of these.

Sponsored Content

#22 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 March 2016 - 19:20

If it weren't for these posts that drew my interest I could have lived blissfully in ignorance of these pens.

Well, they are trying to capitalize on the reputation of generally inexpensive and easily maintained vintage pens with modern stuff, an assemblage of modern cheap parts sold at modern pen prices, sky's the limit.  If these sellers had tried to duplicate the design of the originals I can't say I am confident the result would inspire confidence.  Given the constraints, what more would you expect.  

This is like trying to replace the Parker 51 with the Sonnet.   You might end up resting your pens in desk bases to keep them moist and writable overnight, cap lying on the desk base. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#23 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 21:36

It's now on Massdrop, but at a best-case $50 (give or take a cent) it's still not close to worth it. The discussion section has filled quickly with New-Esterbrook hate.

"Oh deer."

#24 Leftytoo

Leftytoo

Miner

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 499 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 March 2016 - 22:31

I have liked the M2 better than the J series, enough to have bought a dozen of the old ones, including a couple of NOS M2s.  These new ones actually looked good.  I am not so sure about the converter, but I wonder if the converter would fit a Phaeton.  I like the yellow color.  I agree they are getting warmer, if the pen writes decently. 

Being sold by MassDrop as a piston filler. And the ebay photos show a clear ink window and you can see the plunger filler. If it works OK and is dependable, that's a lot of pen for the money.

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

#25 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 00:43

Being sold by MassDrop as a piston filler. And the ebay photos show a clear ink window and you can see the plunger filler. If it works OK and is dependable, that's a lot of pen for the money.

Only if you don't attribute any value to your sanity or your soul.

Plenty of great original, "real" Esterbrooks for that kind of money without going over to the dark side.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#26 Rach31

Rach31

Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:03

Don't forget they add to the confusion by throwing in free cartridges (standard international which will not work in the pen you buy, but why does it need to makes any sense?)

#27 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• 12,875 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 01:56

Another Chinese pen.  Ho, hum.  

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#28 gweimer1

gweimer1

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:27

Pajaro - if you're looking for a converter for a Phaeton, you might try a Platinum 500.

#29 lestylo

lestylo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 March 2016 - 16:32

The pen looks like a rebadged Indian Camlin pen to me, however, you can buy 10 Camlin 47's for the price of one of these.

Sure does bears a strong resemblance to these Camlin pens from India which sell on ebay for $6 each. 

http://www.ebay.com/...y-/371013969786

#30 DallasCJ

DallasCJ

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 17:15

Look at a Camlin 47. Same pen-piston filler, ink window, brushed stainless cap, body-colored jewel.

#31 benbot517

benbot517

A Dapper Chap

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 March 2016 - 23:15

The drop is no longer available. It was closed early. Esterbrook decided that maybe massdrop isn't the best place to be selling their pens. I wonder why that is...

"Oh deer."

#32 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 00:02

That's a frightfully garish-looking pen.  Wasn't the whole point of the original (read, real) Esterbrooks that they were a good, reliable pen for not a lot of money?

Also, I should like to know if they're compatible with the classic Esterbrook nibs.  I expect not, but I'm willing to be advised otherwise.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

#33 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 18,447 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 03:22

That's a frightfully garish-looking pen.  Wasn't the whole point of the original (read, real) Esterbrooks that they were a good, reliable pen for not a lot of money?

Also, I should like to know if they're compatible with the classic Esterbrook nibs.  I expect not, but I'm willing to be advised otherwise.

Even if they are compatible with the classic Estie nibs... who cares?  I was in an antiques mall near Fairmont, WV today and could have bought *two* J pens (both with 9xxx) nibs, for the same amount of money as they're asking for this pen on the Bay of Evil....

BTW -- Anyone in that part of the world (i.e., northern WV) wanting a REAL Esterbrook?  I passed on them because I already have those nibs, but there's a green with a 9450 nib and a copper with a 9550 nib....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#34 gregamckinney

gregamckinney

he's just this guy, you know?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 31 March 2016 - 14:23

"...maybe Massdrop will love me?......oh."

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

#35 trdsf

trdsf

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 19:40

Even if they are compatible with the classic Estie nibs... who cares?

My thinking is, if they're not, then they have even less reason to call them Esterbrooks.  The only Estie I can think of that wasn't compatible with the nib system was the Phæton (I am prepared to be corrected by anyone who knows better, of course), so that was very much the exception, not the rule.

There's a pretty straightforward checklist, I think.  Esterbrooks have interchangeable nibs, were not manufactured by another company and then re-branded, and were reasonably inexpensive.  The modern "Esterbrook" fails on all three counts, and as far as I'm concerned, they have nothing to do with Esterbrook pens or the reasons so many of us are fond of our vintage Esties.

Just buying the rights to a name that wasn't in use any more isn't good enough.  Certainly not good enough for me to want to slot any of these in alongside my Js, LJs and SJs.

"Well, believe me, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway."
--Crow T. Robot, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie
My Flickr, if you're interested

#36 DustyR

DustyR

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 March 2016 - 21:28

fail

#37 lestylo

lestylo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 00:43

This is STUNNING.

Now on a related linkedin site:

"The New Esterbrook M2 Series, a modern remake of an Esterbrook Classic."

"Mar 31, 2016     The New Esterbrook M2 , a modern remake of am Esterbrook Classic is now available at authorized Esterbrook retailers. Available in six stunning colors, Canary Yellow, Fire Engine Red, Spring Green, Midnight Black Navy Blue and Pink.  Available as both a Fountain Pen and Roller Ball.  Visit www.esterbroopens.com for additional information on this stunning new Esterbrook Series." Apparently there is a new pen called Esterbroo.

Here is the link:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/new-esterbrook-m2-series-modern-remake-classic-robert-e-rosenberg

There are so many Authorized Esterbrook Retailers that I can't keep up with the list. And will someone please explain to him the meaning of the word "stunning".

#38 shock_milan

shock_milan

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 01:37

I saw whoever made these pen-shaped plastics at last D.C. pen show... They were strangely unenthusiastic about their products. I don't even understand why, but their attitude and the table set-up just did not fit the atmosphere of the show. (Except the box.)

I'm just sad. That's all.

#39 Hobiwan

Hobiwan

All I ever wanted was a nice pen to write with...

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2016 - 07:29

I'm just sad. That's all.

Maybe we're all just a bit sad that obviously, “due diligence” was not done before the big debut. 

If you’re gonna do something “Esterbrook”, you need to understand (or at least have a good idea of) what the “Esterbrook experience” is all about. We know what it is, but from a strictly personal viewpoint. A cold business-like approach to the subject requires, IMO, a different look.  Could one boil down the whole Esterbrook experience into a few words that would say it all?

What I came up with were three words: Original, Innovative and Unique.  And a cursory look at the Company's history would easily reveal it.

In 1858, they came to America, created a new steel alloy (“Ester-chrome”) to last long and resist the damaging effects of ink, then produced many types and widths of nibs, and other variations for the calligrapher and artist. An old ad I once saw offered a sampler of 12 points for 10 cents by mail order (could that be when the phrase “dime a dozen” was coined?)

With their first foray into the field of the fountain pen during the early part of the 20th Century, they again showed originality.  They didn't market just another nice eyedropper or lever-filling writer with the pens made for them by Onoto, DeLarue and later Conway Stewart.  Theirs was the Relief series of pens, with unique chiseled nibs.  I don’t know if other penmakers produced a Relief pen, but I myself never found one that wasn’t an Esterbrook one way or the other.

They waited to produce their own US-made fountain pens until they first solved the problems of [a] making a good, fountain-pen worthy nib out of steel (the folded point end); and [b] a consumer-friendly means of changing out the nib (Re-New Point) without requiring a pro to do it.  This made all their fountain pens unique.  Continuing to make all their pens accept Renew Points showed their intent to make pens that could literally last a lifetime or more (as long as there were replacement points and sacs available). And for the starting price of a buck.  Note that the year 2032 will mark the 100th anniversary of the Dollar pen.

The Visumaster.  Again, not just another “visulated” pen. This attempt (sez me) by the Company to break into the middle-class market with a steel point features a whole new plastic color design for barrel and cap, and a one-piece clear section, part of which is covered by a sleeve that matches the barrel and cap.

There are other examples, but by now I’m sure you get the point.  From the start, whenever Esterbrook put out a product, seems there was always something original, innovative or unique about it.  And it's that quality which made anything labelled “Esterbrook” stand out from the rest of the crowd.  

So fast-forward to today and ask the question, “How can one even make a fountain pen today that’ll somehow be original, innovative or unique enough to put the Esterbrook name on?”   I don’t have an answer, myself.  But without making something that showed at least one of the above qualities, I'd be, as they say in poker, "drawing dead", and wouldn't bother playing the hand.

Best Regards
Paul

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
– Albert Einstein

#40 DriftingSands

DriftingSands

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 01 April 2016 - 08:19

Okay, I'm new to Esterbrook pens, owning a single black J with a 1551 nib, and having looked at their current offerings, I have to ask this: whiskey tango alpha foxtrot?

Sponsored Content

|