The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Conway Stewart Celluloid

celluloid ink stain 22 floral

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Propman

Propman

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 15:06

Hello FPNers,

I am seeking some help/advice.  I recently acquired a new Conway Stewart 22 with, generally, no discoloration.  However, it appears that at some point in time, ink has seeped under the celluloid between the section and the barrel and left a very small stain.  Knowing the 22's aversion to water, I am concerned about attempting any type of cleaning.    Thoughts or suggestions?

-Propman- 

Attached Images

• 20160319_084321.jpg
  • 20160319_084259.jpg

"You want to be a writer, don't know how or when?  Find a quiet place, use a humble pen."  ---Paul Simon

Sponsored Content

#2 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 15:54

Given I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, I'd leave well enough alone unless it's due for a resac. 

#3 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 16:22

I'd leave it alone too. 

What a lovely pen! Congrats.

#4 Propman

Propman

Extremely Rare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 19:01

Thanks for the feedback.  I tend to agree.  The sac is petrified but, as I will not be inking the pen, I have no intention of replacing it at this time.

"You want to be a writer, don't know how or when?  Find a quiet place, use a humble pen."  ---Paul Simon

#5 northlodge

northlodge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 22:18

I was convinced that there were only six of these in existence, constantly being passed around the planet via ebay. This one is clearly better than the other six, so I can be certain seven were made ;-)

seriously, this looks a particularly nice example, and probably one of the few that are worth anything like the prices being demanded. I think I would be tempted to remove the petrified ink sac. I would not be too concerned with the ink staining, but I suspect most could be removed whilst the sac is being removed. 

#6 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 March 2016 - 22:29

How can you resist a resac & using it?

#7 peterg

peterg

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,065 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 23:36

Easy, it's just a 22. Not an exciting pen but, because of its case, its value has increased by a factor of 30. Logic would suggest that there is nothing special about the nib and the case is very prone to discolouration which would halve its value.

It is one of those that really is only  a collector's pen

#8 Lam1

Lam1

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,434 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 00:04

Easy, it's just a 22. Not an exciting pen but, because of its case, its value has increased by a factor of 30. Logic would suggest that there is nothing special about the nib and the case is very prone to discolouration which would halve its value.

It is one of those that really is only  a collector's pen

I'm usually in the camp that thinks pens must be used, but I must admit that your logic is impeccable! 

#9 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,935 posts

Posted 20 March 2016 - 01:35

it's Gorgeous!  

Sure don't want to encourage anything that might damage it in anyway..

IF, it were mine, and it's Not.. I might consider removing the sac, Very Conservatively cleaning, reassembling with no sac, and if the fancy struck me, using it carefully as dip pen, every once in awhile. 

It's one of the few florals that really captured my eye.

Thanks for sharing with us.

edit to add: keeping As Is, is a fine choice too!

Edited by pen2paper, 20 March 2016 - 01:37.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#10 Propman

Propman

Extremely Rare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 March 2016 - 02:50

Pen to paper,

What you described is exactly what I did this afternoon.  I was concerned about removing the section - but, fortunately, a slight turn with my section pliers and it released immediately.  The nib was in one piece but, I removed it to minimize the chance of future discoloration.

Thanks everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: celluloid, ink stain, 22, floral

Sponsored Content

|