Aurora Optima Abissi

Kactus

Aurora Optima Abissi 365 Fountain Pen Review

Size / Weight

The physical features are like any other modern Aurora Auroroloid Optima. It is ever so slightly shorter than a Pelikan M600 but slightly stouter. The weight is 21.5 grams and the length is 5.0 inches capped.

Nib / Feed

The nib / feed is also just like any modern Aurora fountain pen from the Elite, Prestige, Special or Limited Edition range (except Leonardo, Nobile, Palladio and miniatures). It sports the “large” No. 6 size 18K yellow gold nib and the usual ebonite feed. The nib / feed unit has the advantage of being removable. These feeds are great and even after a couple of days of no use I can pick up my Aurora and it writes straight away without hard start.

There are always a lot of comments that Aurora nibs are stiff or toothy. Perhaps this is true on the smaller models such as the Optima where ergonomics come into play. As an Aurora fan I believe this comes down to nib maintenance – tine alignment and tip smoothing. From my experience a properly tunned Aurora nib is just as smooth as any other. Like any sports car they are not just plug and play, they require a little attention before racing away.

Filling System

As with the other high range Aurora FP they utilize a piston filler. IMO the modern Aurora piston filling mechanism is one of the best on the market. This typifies the solid construction and quality of the Aurora FPs. The Optima also provides a generous sized ink window for capacity viewing.

Price / Value

Everything is relative to each and every one. But comparative to similar products from other brands the Optima is probably in the ball park, perhaps slightly more expensive. It is up to you to decide if the features described here provide the value for the price.

Appearance

Following release of promotional material, Aurora’s first release of 2016 was anticipated to repeat the success of the 365 released in 2015. As the first pre orders for the Abissi have begun to be distributed, variances in the appearance from the advertised material have been identified. Unlike the Blue and Green psychedelic swirls and marbling advertised a barely marbled dark blue / black background with squiggly purple and green ribbons design has been reported in some places.

From looking closely at my model different results are observed depending upon how much light is present. In strong light the subtle marbling is washed away leaving just the squiggles. But in dimmer light the dark blue marbling is still visible. So I will be very interested in other people’s observations once more deliveries are received.

Personally I think the dark marbling is a great colour although a bit limited in the depth and definition. However, I think the squiggles are ghastly. This is the first time I have to say Aurora has produced something inferior looking.

The only other point of note is the cap band does not feature the Greek key pattern but the bold black line or ring. This is consistent with the 365 and also present on earlier Optima’s.

Conclusion

Firstly, one of the marketing points I still have not understood with this release is why is it called the 365? It is not the same design as the 365. It is released in 366 units for the 2016 leap year. Wouldn’t “366” be better marketing and less confusing? Did Aurora have minimum order quantities from the printers for the packaging materials for last year’s 365?

On performance and quality this pen is like any other Aurora Optima, it is reliable, high quality and high performance. The debate with this pen will be around the appearance. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder the dark design will be divisive at best. There have already been reports of units being returned instantly due to dissatisfaction.

If this model is called The Abyss, then the promotional material presents something you might find in the Caribbean but I think a lot of people will be receiving something more like the Mariana.

post-112820-0-67720500-1458374813_thumb.jpg

post-112820-0-33364100-1458374835_thumb.jpg

post-112820-0-95621200-1458374849_thumb.jpg

post-112820-0-20072900-1458374864_thumb.jpg

post-112820-0-68108800-1458374878_thumb.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• whichwatch

• Chrissy

• Merackon

• Dr. Saleem Ali

This is a good review, Kactus. Thank you.

All of my Optimas are performance champs and aesthetically lovely. I am glad the performance of the Abissi is up to Aurora standards, but it is disappointing to hear about the aesthetic flop. And on an LE. It is surprising, but I guess even the finest of manufacturers have their failures. They fell into an abyss of their own making? :P Thanks to your honesty, the Abissi is not on my want list.

Thanks for your honest review.Congrats to have the pen brand you love it .I wish you to enjoy for a life-time.

Mine arrived today and after all the discussion over the appearance, I couldn't wait to see it. I think Kactus's comments are right on.

I had expected something along the lines of other Auroloides and perhaps last year's 365 which I have. I expected green and blue flakes with clear distinct hues. What I see in mine depends a lot on the lighting, as Kactus suggested.

My home office is fairly dark, and the pen looked almost black with some hints of dark green. In a brighter room, I saw mostly dark green and somewhat lighter green, with very little blue. Then I went into an area where sun was shining in. The result was dark green and mid-green flakes or marbling, with those blue squiggles people have reported and Kactus showed in his photos.

The pen I had anticipated being one of the best looking of the year was quite the opposite. It took me five minutes to check it in different lights, two minutes to conclude that if I had picked it up from a table at a dealer or pen show I would quickly put it back down and never even consider buying it, and five minutes to contact the dealer from whom I bought it and ask to return it for a refund, a request that he of course cheerfully honored.

Well, with regards to appearance, it's all personal taste, isn't it? I've bought hundreds of pens, usually sight unseen except for pictures, and this is the first time I ever had this kind of reaction. Aurora apparently made some sort of change which was not properly communicated and has surprised both dealers and consumers. Perhaps instead of "Abyss" they should call this "A Mess" - a mess of their own making. So disappointing!

My personal reaction only. As always, your mileage may vary.

Edited by whichwatch

• 3 weeks later...

Mine arrived today and after all the discussion over the appearance, I couldn't wait to see it. I think Kactus's comments are right on.

I had expected something along the lines of other Auroloides and perhaps last year's 365 which I have. I expected green and blue flakes with clear distinct hues. What I see in mine depends a lot on the lighting, as Kactus suggested.

My home office is fairly dark, and the pen looked almost black with some hints of dark green. In a brighter room, I saw mostly dark green and somewhat lighter green, with very little blue. Then I went into an area where sun was shining in. The result was dark green and mid-green flakes or marbling, with those blue squiggles people have reported and Kactus showed in his photos.

The pen I had anticipated being one of the best looking of the year was quite the opposite. It took me five minutes to check it in different lights, two minutes to conclude that if I had picked it up from a table at a dealer or pen show I would quickly put it back down and never even consider buying it, and five minutes to contact the dealer from whom I bought it and ask to return it for a refund, a request that he of course cheerfully honored.

Well, with regards to appearance, it's all personal taste, isn't it? I've bought hundreds of pens, usually sight unseen except for pictures, and this is the first time I ever had this kind of reaction. Aurora apparently made some sort of change which was not properly communicated and has surprised both dealers and consumers. Perhaps instead of "Abyss" they should call this "A Mess" - a mess of their own making. So disappointing!

My personal reaction only. As always, your mileage may vary.

Aurora Optima Abissi 365 Fountain Pen Review

Size / Weight

The physical features are like any other modern Aurora Auroroloid Optima. It is ever so slightly shorter than a Pelikan M600 but slightly stouter. The weight is 21.5 grams and the length is 5.0 inches capped.

Nib / Feed

The nib / feed is also just like any modern Aurora fountain pen from the Elite, Prestige, Special or Limited Edition range (except Leonardo, Nobile, Palladio and miniatures). It sports the “large” No. 6 size 18K yellow gold nib and the usual ebonite feed. The nib / feed unit has the advantage of being removable. These feeds are great and even after a couple of days of no use I can pick up my Aurora and it writes straight away without hard start.

There are always a lot of comments that Aurora nibs are stiff or toothy. Perhaps this is true on the smaller models such as the Optima where ergonomics come into play. As an Aurora fan I believe this comes down to nib maintenance – tine alignment and tip smoothing. From my experience a properly tunned Aurora nib is just as smooth as any other. Like any sports car they are not just plug and play, they require a little attention before racing away.

Filling System

As with the other high range Aurora FP they utilize a piston filler. IMO the modern Aurora piston filling mechanism is one of the best on the market. This typifies the solid construction and quality of the Aurora FPs. The Optima also provides a generous sized ink window for capacity viewing.

Price / Value

Everything is relative to each and every one. But comparative to similar products from other brands the Optima is probably in the ball park, perhaps slightly more expensive. It is up to you to decide if the features described here provide the value for the price.

Appearance

Following release of promotional material, Aurora’s first release of 2016 was anticipated to repeat the success of the 365 released in 2015. As the first pre orders for the Abissi have begun to be distributed, variances in the appearance from the advertised material have been identified. Unlike the Blue and Green psychedelic swirls and marbling advertised a barely marbled dark blue / black background with squiggly purple and green ribbons design has been reported in some places.

From looking closely at my model different results are observed depending upon how much light is present. In strong light the subtle marbling is washed away leaving just the squiggles. But in dimmer light the dark blue marbling is still visible. So I will be very interested in other people’s observations once more deliveries are received.

Personally I think the dark marbling is a great colour although a bit limited in the depth and definition. However, I think the squiggles are ghastly. This is the first time I have to say Aurora has produced something inferior looking.

The only other point of note is the cap band does not feature the Greek key pattern but the bold black line or ring. This is consistent with the 365 and also present on earlier Optima’s.

Conclusion

Firstly, one of the marketing points I still have not understood with this release is why is it called the 365? It is not the same design as the 365. It is released in 366 units for the 2016 leap year. Wouldn’t “366” be better marketing and less confusing? Did Aurora have minimum order quantities from the printers for the packaging materials for last year’s 365?

On performance and quality this pen is like any other Aurora Optima, it is reliable, high quality and high performance. The debate with this pen will be around the appearance. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder the dark design will be divisive at best. There have already been reports of units being returned instantly due to dissatisfaction.

If this model is called The Abyss, then the promotional material presents something you might find in the Caribbean but I think a lot of people will be receiving something more like the Mariana.

attachicon.gifIMG_4186a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4184a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4183a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4201a.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_4193a.jpg

Thank you to both of you! Without your comprehensive reviews I think I might have made the mistake of succumbing to temptation and purchasing one of these, instead of saving some money and buying a Blue Optima Auroloide as my first Aurora. I think that if you both hadn't been as informative I may have had a somewhat poor first impression of pens.

• 1 month later...

I would like to come in here.

Interesting. Sounds and looks as though Aurora may not have been so passionate about their Brand as much as Collectors.

Although I have been offered one LE, am considering it to be fair. However, I strongly feel Aurora to register on a refresher of 'Customer Services'.

On a slight different note, have had dealings with Aurora directly with the factory/offices in the past, most certainly on the issue of repairs and did conclude after 2/3 attempts that a lack luster attitude of 'Take it or Leave it'.

However, I have since found the distributor or rep of Aurora in the UK to be most helpful, courteous and sincerely fair.

I travel to the UK from India almost every 3 months and had an issue with my Optima as seen to have ink leakage around the transparent window . The retailers in India, regret did not show welcoming interest to have the problem fixed.

During my visit to the UK early this year, contacted the Rep who without hesitation suggested I forward the Optima to him for due attention and would also send the same to the factory on by behalf. Although purchased in the Middle East, I somewhat expected to pay for the service, repair was to be carried out under warranty. So much so that this Rep. offered me a loan Aurora pen so as not be without a quality writing instrument.

After about 4-5 weeks I was re-united with my be-loved Optima. This whole experience was relatively stress-free. The Rep in UK for Aurora made it so and by golly he believed in the Brand.

So the moral is, there are dealers out there who will assist within their remit but I would like to see a parallel par-excellence counter service from manufacturers in support.

Secondly, for Aurora in their line of defense, its good to see dealers can approach owners directly and ascertain - easily approachable a good sign of business dealings however, the key for Aurora is to design flexibility as customers' habits and demands change.

I would like to come in here.

Interesting. Sounds and looks as though Aurora may not have been so passionate about their Brand as much as Collectors.

Although I have been offered one LE, am considering it to be fair. However, I strongly feel Aurora to register on a refresher of 'Customer Services'.

On a slight different note, have had dealings with Aurora directly with the factory/offices in the past, most certainly on the issue of repairs and did conclude after 2/3 attempts that a lack luster attitude of 'Take it or Leave it'.

However, I have since found the distributor or rep of Aurora in the UK to be most helpful, courteous and sincerely fair.

I travel to the UK from India almost every 3 months and had an issue with my Optima as seen to have ink leakage around the transparent window . The retailers in India, regret did not show welcoming interest to have the problem fixed.

During my visit to the UK early this year, contacted the Rep who without hesitation suggested I forward the Optima to him for due attention and would also send the same to the factory on by behalf. Although purchased in the Middle East, I somewhat expected to pay for the service, repair was to be carried out under warranty. So much so that this Rep. offered me a loan Aurora pen so as not be without a quality writing instrument.

After about 4-5 weeks I was re-united with my be-loved Optima. This whole experience was relatively stress-free. The Rep in UK for Aurora made it so and by golly he believed in the Brand.

So the moral is, there are dealers out there who will assist within their remit but I would like to see a parallel par-excellence counter service from manufacturers in support.

Secondly, for Aurora in their line of defense, its good to see dealers can approach owners directly and ascertain - easily approachable a good sign of business dealings however, the key for Aurora is to design flexibility as customers' habits and demands change.

I was very interested to read this reply as I have been unsuccessful in tracking down the Aurora Distributor within the UK. Please would you mind letting me know who this is by PM if you don't wish to publish it on this thread?

I finally got to see one of the Abissi 365s "in the flesh" during a visit to Dromgoole's in Houston--my reactions were similar to whichwatch's.

The photo of this pen in the original promotional material is completely misleading. The "ghastly squiggles" are not visible at all, and the photo looks quite different, and far more attractive, than the real thing. While the previous 365 is one of the most beautiful finishes Aurora has ever produced, the Abissi is a disaster.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I am so happy that I bought the previous 365 from 2015 and not this version. Why did Aurora carry on with this 2016 issue when they knew it had gone wrong?

I saw quite a few at the recent Chicago Pen Show and had a long chat with Kenro, the US Distributor. By the way, the Kenro folks are absolutely terrific and other countries would be lucky to have distributors as good as this group. They are fully aware of the discussion that has erupted over this pen.

There was quite a variety in the Abissi pens I saw at the various dealer tables in Chicago. Some had rather pronounced blue squiggles, others didn't show them to near the same degree. This might well be due to variations in lighting within the ballroom, which was OK but certainly wasn't bright. In all cases the base material was a very dark green with none of the brightness present in Aurora's other auroloides, including last year's 365. I really found myself wondering if there had been more than one batch of raw material produced.

I certainly don't like the blue squiggles, but even without them I I don't particularly care for the dark, somewhat muddy green color. It's all personal taste, of course. Some may love the pen.

I would certainly suggest that one sees the actual pen before buying it. If ordering the pen sight unseen, I would suggest the buyer ensure he has the right of return for a full refund of an unused pen within a few days for any reason.

On a more positive note, Kenro said they had seen one actual piece of the about-to-be-released Monviso and they said it is beautiful. Based on that comment, and hoping that Aurora has learned the lesson of the Abissi, I have placed a pre-order for a Monviso. Fingers crossed!

I saw that pen at FPH - where it was hidden away on a lower shelf of the display case. It looked black, like the pictures in the review, and since I'm not a fan of squiggles and swirls in my pens, I didn't go and study it more closely. If it was only a very dark Auroloide, I may have been tempted.

That same day, I heard that OMAS has closed for good. Though I stopped collecting the pens a few years ago after spending good money on some catastrophic material failures, the news saddened me. I do hope that Aurora is doing well financially, for it is one one of the last Italian pen manufacturers to make their pens completely in-house.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang