Ink Review - Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine (Ink Of The Year 2016)

namrehsnoom

Ink Review : Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine (Ink of the Year 2016)

post-127228-0-39762200-1458337092_thumb.jpg

Pen: Lamy All-Star Ocean Blue, M-nib

Paper: Rhodia N° 16 notepad 80 gsm

post-127228-0-92002100-1458337171_thumb.jpg

Review

In 2011 Pelikan introduced the Edelstein series of boutique inks, available in a variety of colors:

• aventurine (green)
  • jade (light green with bluish undertones)
  • mandarin (orange)
  • onyx (black)
  • ruby (dark red)
  • sapphire (purple-blue)
  • topaz (light blue)

The initial offering did not include a blue-black, but in 2012 Pelikan was quick to remedy this, and added tanzanite to the line-up to complete the offering. The overall theme of the Edelstein ink series is the gemstone - each color corresponds to the beautiful color of a gem. The inks themselves are presented in 50 ml high-value bottles, which are truly stunning, and an ornament on every desk.

After releasing the original line-up, Pelikan started the tradition of releasing a yearly "Ink of the Year". These inks are produced for a year only, and quickly become bottled treasures. Once inventories are depleted, these inks are gone forever.

• 2012 : turmaline
  • 2013 : amber
  • 2014 : garnet
  • 2015 : amethyst

The ink of the year 2016 is "aquamarine". Pelikan itself describes the color as "neither blue nor green; it's something in between". This is also the second time that Pelikan turned to its Facebook fans to help choose the color. And I must say - they've chosen wisely. I really like the color of this ink, and - as Pelikan stated - it sits nicely between blue and green. In my opinion, it's very similar to other blue-greens I like:

• iroshizuku ku-jaku : this one remains my favorite, and is a touch more on the blue side
  • diamine schubert (music collection) : this one leans more towards the green side

post-127228-0-76719300-1458337120_thumb.jpeg

Pelikan Edelstein inks are known to be on the dry side, but this is a wetter ink, with drying times in the 20 second range. It behaves beautifully on a wide range of paper:

• Rhodia N°16 notepad 80 gsm - drying time ~20 seconds, no noticeable feathering, no show-through and no bleed-through
  • Paperblanks journal paper - drying time ~20 seconds, no noticeable feathering, a ghost of show-through, no bleed-through
  • Generic notepad paper 70 gsm - drying time ~20 seconds, no noticeable feathering, a ghost of show-through, no bleed-through
  • Moleskine journal - drying time ~10 seconds, no noticeable feathering, show-through and some bleed-through

This definitely is a very well-behaved ink. Water resistance is on the poor side, but still acceptable. The color disappears quickly, but a greyish ghost image of your writing remains, which is still perfectly readable even after 30 seconds under running tap water.

post-127228-0-38439000-1458337111_thumb.jpg

Conclusion

Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine is a very well-behaving ink, even on lower quality paper. Blue-greens are not for everyone, but if you happen to like them, this one is definitely a winner. A stunning color worthy of a gemstone !

My overall score: A

post-127228-0-55723700-1458337130_thumb.jpeg

post-127228-0-35412400-1458337142_thumb.jpeg

post-127228-0-91854300-1458337153_thumb.jpeg

post-127228-0-76027100-1458337162_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bo Bo Olson

• visvamitra

• namrehsnoom

• oregano

Good review. I really love the gemstone you presented up top! Don't know why I overlooked the Schubert. I have it and I even looked at it!!

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for the review, especially the gemstone comparison! :) I like this ink, and have some cartridges on the way, but I can't decide if I should get a bottle. I do have Ku-Jaku, after all.

Thank you for the review. My B&M should have it this week and my name is on a bottle.

Yes, the gemstone comparison is brilliant accent :) Should be done for other Edelsteins as well :)

Hi Mike & Vis - thanks for your encouragement. I do have some plans for more Edelstein reviews, with the gemstone comparison as the opening line. The bad thing is ... I think I've been bitten by the ink virus ;-) - I seem to have a craving now to add more and more inks to my collection, just to try them out and seen how they compare. Well, for now it's a fun virus, and I really don't mind being infected !

Thank you for the comprehensive and fun review, I love the color aquamarine so I was really keen to read more about it. Also very cool photo of the ink swirling in that bottle!

Very nice review! Thanks for the effort.

The picture of te corresponding gemstone is a really nice touch.

I don't know why, but I'm always amazed at how different the color of an ink can be when comparing the color of the liquid and its color on paper. This is more of a blue/grey color on paper as compared to the cyan of the liquid. Regardless, they really nailed the color of the gemstone on this one.

• 7 months later...

I love saving money and not having to buy other inks....some like the Japanese are to me hard to get.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

This or ku-jaku, decisions decisions argh. I think I'll go with Ku-jaku, anyone else on the same boat as me? 😅😅

Currently Inked = Pilot Custom 823 - 14Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Kakadu LE #100/100 - 18Kt Gold 'M' Nib -- Visconti Homo Sapiens London Fog LE #785/888 - 23Kt Pd "1.3mm Stub" Nib -- Pelikan 100N Transitional - 14Kt Gold 'OF' Nib -- Pelikan 400 - 14Kt Gold 'KF' Nib (All Inked with Pelikan 4001 Blue-Black) -- Pelikan M200 West Germany - SS 'OBB' Nib

On Gmund Blanc Beige, creme, 170g...the paper that lost to the same in 120g (E35=50sheets)....it shades well...takes a second to turn a bit more green than teal.

And a few other Gmund papers.in the 110-110-120g range, it drys teal and has some shading.

Gmund just happened to be the papers near by. I had gotten the free samples and paid a $ a page for other samples.

It is my first teal...and am happy with the amount of shading.

Paper has always made a difference in the shading of an ink.

I had thought Lamy Turquoise a nice basis color; but a little Blaaaa. Until I tried it on 90g like the tests in Ink Review showed...the shading...rather than not shading on 80g. Paper makes such a difference. Look at any of Sandy1's ink reviews which is really a paper review.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 1 month later...

Great review. Thank you. I like the actual aquamarine for comparison.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

• 1 month later...

I just can't quite get with the Aquamarine program. I want to like it, but there are so many other inks that seem so much more interesting to me...

fpn_1487281623__2017-02-16_155650.jpg