The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

To Waterman Carčne Owners

ink blots waterman carene carene

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 marcelo

marcelo

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2016 - 18:58

Hi!

I think you all who took part and helped will enjoy reading this:

http://www.fountainp...l-tell-you-why/

:)  :)  :)

Marcelo

Edited by marcelo, 27 April 2016 - 22:18.

Sponsored Content

#62 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 19:21

It is known that the lining of boxes, glue, and the chemicals used to cure leather give off fumes that may damage pens.

In case I have a bash at making a pen box, what linings and glues should be avoided, RMN?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#63 RMN

RMN

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,215 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2016 - 21:23

In case I have a bash at making a pen box, what linings and glues should be avoided, RMN?

Can't help you with the technical part of that. I remember a report about a pen being stored in a box with a synthetic liner, and it warped the barrel.

Also some of the chemicals in curing and tanning leather can be harmful. Actually that leather preparing process is complex. Have a look at wikipedia for the details.

One should even be careful not to store ebonite and celluloid together for a long time. Or at least have good ventilation.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, KEEP INSIDE, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

#64 Ghost Plane

Ghost Plane

Indescribable

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2016 - 22:56

Hi!

I think you all who took part and helped will enjoy reading this:

http://www.fountainp...l-tell-you-why/

:)  :)  :)

Marcelo

Thrilled for you!

#65 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,481 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:18

Very good news indeed. Thank you for updating us on your success.

#66 Ernst Bitterman

Ernst Bitterman

Nil Magnum Nisi Bonum

• Member - Gold

• 8,044 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 April 2016 - 17:54

Dang... there was a thread in the Italian forum, I think, about a vinyl inner box lining degrading and leaving a fabric imprint on the barrel of something very nice and rather expensive.  You can see why I haven't tried to run a search, with that degree of precise and accurate criteria to enter.

Edit:  also, I shouted hooray on the results thread already, but why not twice?  Hooray!

Edited by Ernst Bitterman, 28 April 2016 - 17:55.

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

#67 Flounder

Flounder

Forum Moderate

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 18:57

That's good to hear. I'm unlikely to line with vinyl, but if there's a particular glue to beshrew that's taboo in your view, I'll eschew.

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

#68 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,976 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 19:29

It was an Omas in its original Omas box, when Omas briefly changed their packaging.

As is common practice, the owner kept the pen unused in the original box only to find the pen body marred by contact with the original Omas box material.

To their credit, Omas did rectify the situation with pen owner.

Again I'm never going to claim expertise. There are others here who rightly can advise.

In my study, I do see direct results of incorrect storage. Pulling objects for a program delivered last night I found three of my own non-pen objects suffering plastics degradation, (last inspection 6ish months ago). One metal part completely rusted. Metal too nearby celluloid that became unstable. These were shared with the audience with suggestions for airy, dry, dark environment, by material. For my objects in airy dry natural materials, such as baskets, or mylar, and polypropylene - two materials used in acid-free archival storage.  (see: museum conservation practices, online)

Pens often have The plastics + metal that's problematic. Enclosing These, and in contact with the wrong material is the issue. So know your pen's material, and store safely for those materials.

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#69 Meltemi

Meltemi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2016 - 17:33

I have similar problems with the clip but I'm not 100% sure if it is rust. I have the Black Sea model with the golden finish. 

I like flowers, mother of pearl, dip nibs, blue, green or red inks. I also like flowers, Frida Kahlo's paintings and Josephine Baker's songs. Did I mention flowers and mother of pearl?

#70 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,481 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 17:45

I have similar problems with the clip but I'm not 100% sure if it is rust. I have the Black Sea model with the golden finish. 

It may be tarnish to the gold plate. Try a metal polish. The clip base is brass which cannot rust...it can though corrode.

#71 WMH

WMH

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 July 2016 - 19:45

Hi Marcelo -- Could it be that this is a counterfeit pen? Perhaps a defective pen picked up on the gray market? Where did it come from? Just a thought.

#72 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 July 2016 - 00:41

Are there kknown counterfeit Carenes?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#73 Force

Force

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• 6,481 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 01:57

Not that I am aware of. I would think too much work to produce an almost identical fake.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink blots, waterman carene, carene

Sponsored Content

|