• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• pen2paper

• Left FPN

• Ghost Plane

It is known that the lining of boxes, glue, and the chemicals used to cure leather give off fumes that may damage pens.

In case I have a bash at making a pen box, what linings and glues should be avoided, RMN?

Latest pen related post @ flounders-mindthots.blogspot.com : vintage Pilot Elite Pocket Pen review

In case I have a bash at making a pen box, what linings and glues should be avoided, RMN?

Can't help you with the technical part of that. I remember a report about a pen being stored in a box with a synthetic liner, and it warped the barrel.

Also some of the chemicals in curing and tanning leather can be harmful. Actually that leather preparing process is complex. Have a look at wikipedia for the details.

One should even be careful not to store ebonite and celluloid together for a long time. Or at least have good ventilation.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Dang... there was a thread in the Italian forum, I think, about a vinyl inner box lining degrading and leaving a fabric imprint on the barrel of something very nice and rather expensive. You can see why I haven't tried to run a search, with that degree of precise and accurate criteria to enter.

Edit: also, I shouted hooray on the results thread already, but why not twice? Hooray!

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

It was an Omas in its original Omas box, when Omas briefly changed their packaging.

As is common practice, the owner kept the pen unused in the original box only to find the pen body marred by contact with the original Omas box material.

To their credit, Omas did rectify the situation with pen owner.

Again I'm never going to claim expertise. There are others here who rightly can advise.

In my study, I do see direct results of incorrect storage. Pulling objects for a program delivered last night I found three of my own non-pen objects suffering plastics degradation, (last inspection 6ish months ago). One metal part completely rusted. Metal too nearby celluloid that became unstable. These were shared with the audience with suggestions for airy, dry, dark environment, by material. For my objects in airy dry natural materials, such as baskets, or mylar, and polypropylene - two materials used in acid-free archival storage. (see: museum conservation practices, online)

Pens often have The plastics + metal that's problematic. Enclosing These, and in contact with the wrong material is the issue. So know your pen's material, and store safely for those materials.

• 3 weeks later...

I have similar problems with the clip but I'm not 100% sure if it is rust. I have the Black Sea model with the golden finish.

I like flowers, mother of pearl, dip nibs, blue, green or red inks. I also like flowers, Frida Kahlo's paintings and Josephine Baker's songs. Did I mention flowers and mother of pearl?

I have similar problems with the clip but I'm not 100% sure if it is rust. I have the Black Sea model with the golden finish.

It may be tarnish to the gold plate. Try a metal polish. The clip base is brass which cannot rust...it can though corrode.

• 2 months later...

Hi Marcelo -- Could it be that this is a counterfeit pen? Perhaps a defective pen picked up on the gray market? Where did it come from? Just a thought.

Are there kknown counterfeit Carenes?

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.