To Waterman Carène Owners

marcelo

Hi FPNers!

Ink penetrated and form those blots below the metal surface. I can assure you I'm very careful using the pen and nothing exceptional happened.

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii33/mmmcosta/Watches/Carene_zpswik2vhyw.jpg

Have this ever happened to your Carène?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Marcelo

Edited by marcelo

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• marcelo

• pen2paper

• Left FPN

• Ghost Plane

aren't these just stains on your ceiling that reflect in the chrome plating :-)

seriously .... I own several Carenes and this has never happened to mine ...

Edited by ceac

aren't these just stains on your ceiling that reflect in the chrome plating :-)

seriously .... I own several Carenes and this has never happened to mine ...

Unfortunately not. Well visible ink dots.

It's hard to tell from the photo if its something staining the metal (like ink) or there is metal corrosion. Hard to believe that ink would go from the inside of the pen to here. I suppose it's possible that ink outside the pen could stain it, but somehow that doesn't seem likely.

Modern pens have many construction materials and techniques. Some of the metal you see may have multiple layers of plating. Sometimes its not the top layer that corrodes or rusts or oxidizes, but a layer underneath the top.

What do the spots look like under a 10x loupe??

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

It's hard to tell from the photo if its something staining the metal (like ink) or there is metal corrosion. Hard to believe that ink would go from the inside of the pen to here. I suppose it's possible that ink outside the pen could stain it, but somehow that doesn't seem likely.

Modern pens have many construction materials and techniques. Some of the metal you see may have multiple layers of plating. Sometimes its not the top layer that corrodes or rusts or oxidizes, but a layer underneath the top.

What do the spots look like under a 10x loupe??

Hi markh! Thanks for the reply.

They do look like ink, and one more thing: the same happened with the trim. :huh:

Have to ask what ink you're using. I carried my Carenes into some pretty extreme places and never had that happen. But all of mine are roughly pre-2008 purchase and never got loaded with iron galls or some of the experimental inks/shades/brands.

Sorry to see this marcelo,

Appears to be the LE Island Sands too.

Aside from ink what have you used to clean the pen, and also how what it stored? (appears from exterior issue not interior)

It's metal with some sort of very tough enamel-like, perhaps anodized finish, not plastics, but still some products could harm the finishes.

Hopefully someone will have suggestions to restore without recoating the surface.

A gentleman here, "Force" has renovated several Carene and may be of help.

GP, I know yours are widely traveled, have you seen anything like this on exterior? Lagoon & Sand are LE's about the same time as yours.

Edited by pen2paper

No. Have to wonder if something like ammonia got on it. I've seen this effect on silver when people have sprayed bleach and ammonia-based cleansers around silver candlesticks. But that normally polishes out, even if it takes some serious work to do it. But if it's corrosion... some of my aircraft strippers would do that. Trich or Methylene chloride would eat a surface. But they would tend to leave pitting rather than a surface effect. (Musing aloud here)

Edited to add - we might need to drop this thread into the Waterman Forum and let Force have a look. He's stripped damaged Carenes on purpose to resurface or plate them. I suspect his technical knowledge far surpasses mine. I'll leave a link in here so folks can follow it, but think we'll get more expertise in the dedicated forum.

Have to ask what ink you're using. I carried my Carenes into some pretty extreme places and never had that happen. But all of mine are roughly pre-2008 purchase and never got loaded with iron galls or some of the experimental inks/shades/brands.

It's a good question, GP, but only Waterman ink - bottle and cartridge.

This one shows it better:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii33/mmmcosta/Watches/Carene_2_zpsdh1ifkjd.jpg

Edited by marcelo

It's a good question, GP, but only Waterman ink - bottle and cartridge.

With that info and GP's comment, do take this to the Waterman Forum. "Force" has renovated several abused Carene's back to good condition and may have suggestions to remove these marks without further damage.

My 2 cents is Waterman ink is an unlikely culprit. If this is not a failing finish issue of this particular pen, it's likely to be an external issue such as cleaners or storage. Contact with chemicals perhaps the tanning of leather pen or briefcase?

You say the trim has similar blotches.

I would like to see pics of that too, if possible, please.

As with the others, I have some doubts as to what causes this.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

Got nothing similar with my half-a-year ownership Carene amber GT

The problem seems to be external. I do not thing, your inks from cartridge or converter inside the pen made this through the barrel.

I can suggest some aggressive liquids or even it's condensated vapours contacted and corroded the surface (plating).

Similar things happen on the cases of cheap chinese "gold"-alike "plated" watches. Even just from owner's sweat. So it can simply be the QC fault or your inappropriate special liquids usage/storage. Or maybe even not your :)

If it IS ink stains, and you post the cap, could it be that some ink is lingering in the cap and dropping onto the end of the body?

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

If it IS ink stains, and you post the cap, could it be that some ink is lingering in the cap and dropping onto the end of the body?

You make a very good point. If so, gentle wipe with a soft (Non-abrasive) jewelers cloth should remove surface spotting on the trim. (avoid colored cap & body).

That's what I thought, because it tends to leak a bit and I have washed the cap some times because of ink into it, but what about the trim? Maybe the metal from the trim and the end of the body suffered some kind of action from an external agent other than ink, but my hand does not sweat and the pen has always been kept in a dry place.

I also don't think it is a QC issue, since when I bought the pen it was in perfect condition. One day, more than a year after the purchase, the end of the body and the trim showed up like this. :blush:

Edited by marcelo

are we just seeing stain marks or is the surface broken, flaking, revealing corrosion?

Just stain marks. No sign of corrosion, abrasion or wear.

You say the trim has similar blotches.

I would like to see pics of that too, if possible, please.

As with the others, I have some doubts as to what causes this.

D.ick

Thank you for the reply. Here is the trim:

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii33/mmmcosta/Watches/Screenshot_2016-03-19-01-59-10_zpsrr8p9aqp.png

not expert here, but I'm seeing corrosion. Has this been stored in a leather pen case, (tanning solutions), or airtight with celluloids?

from what I know, Waterman ink would not do this. Because I see green corrosion at the edge of the body, not just trim, I doubt it's a defect of the trim.

I'm sure it can be restored, but if it's returned to the same environment that caused it the issue will return.