Yet Another "what Should I Buy?" Thread.

displacermoose

The Emotion barrel is metal with wood around it. So it's heavier than most plastic/resin pens.

Edit to add that it's not heavy to the point of being uncomfortable. The weight gives it a substantial feel that I find very desirable.

Thanks for the clarification.

If it is really a special occasion, go a little higher and get a Nakaya. You can get short and fat or long and fat and a pen that will last several lifetimes and be a joy to use every time.

http://www.fototime.com/6D2FA537CEFE35C/large.jpg

Nakayas are light, like writing with air. The urushi coating is finger friendly, does not slip when wet, allows you complete control with a very light hand, is relaxing, looks great, is nearly impervious to potential damage and will only get better with each generations use.

You have accomplished something. You deserve a reward that will remain significant for at least a lifetime. Yes it is slightly above your current maximum budget but if amortized over the next fifty years or century is frugal.

Quality last longer than mere money.

Oh, I definitely have a Nakaya in my future, never fear (probably for Christmas either this year or next). For me, this process is not just finding the perfect pen, but the perfect pen for this specific occasion. I don't really associate Nakayas with academia and academic prose; I feel like I'd be too inclined to wax poetic when writing with one.

I don't about this stuff. However, if it is a "big" grant, and my first one, I would have a pen made.

I'm leaning more and more in that direction, actually. "Big" means "living expenses for a year and working space in one of the finest academic libraries in North America," so yeah, it's a pretty special thing.

Fat? Slip cap? Waterman Carene and (I BELIEVE) Sheaffer Legacy. Might be a touch heavy to use for you, might not. Oh, and congratulations!

I'll look into it. And thanks!

Here's a link to a picture I took of my Lamy 2000 and my Pilot CH 92, side-by-side, if that helps: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6nrc0f82f8u52vv/AAC7TYyKUUT7uAWvcIS9MtVVa

Edit: trying to attach picture

attachicon.gif2016-03-17 13.57.47.jpg

That is enormously helpful, thanks.

I'm going to correct myself a little bit on this. I think my mind played a trick on me, in that the 823 is definitely longer and heavier, but in terms of diameter, it's a close call. The main part of the barrel is essentially the same, with the section on the 823 just a tiny bit bigger. The diameter of the cap is also larger on the 823. Sorry for the imprecision.

It's the section that is the real kicker for me. My 3776 is comfortable 80-90% of the time, so as long as the section is the same size or a bit bigger then the 823 is very much in the running.

I have similar hand issues and my favorite pens are: Newton Townsend in his medium size, Franklin-Christoph model 66, Pilot 823, 912 and VP, Sailor 1911L, Platinum 3776, Delta Unica and Pilot Kakuno. All have somewhat thick sections (or just not thin...) and balance well in my hand.

Thank you for the information. Since I have a 3776 that really helps me get a better handle on how these pens compare.

Yet another Sarah.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• displacermoose

• Pensei

• rwilsonedn

• Gudi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Another vote for the 823. It is a wonderful full size pen. If you need to do a lot of writing the ink reservoir is second to none. As for the screw top, I just open it and leave it that way for a month or so till the ink is gone.

Another vote for the 823. It is a wonderful full size pen. If you need to do a lot of writing the ink reservoir is second to none. As for the screw top, I just open it and leave it that way for a month or so till the ink is gone.

I think I've narrowed it down to the 823 or something custom. If I go with a custom pen I'm going to have to do some nib hunting since it just seems wrong to get an ordinary JoWo nib on a made-to-order body.

Yet another Sarah.

Hello FPNers! I just won a big fellowship to finish writing a book, and I am thinking about buying a pen to celebrate and commemorate the occasion--what else would I buy, right? I have some thoughts, but I'd like to get some input from the brain trust here.

I'm looking for a workhorse with some style, something not too flashy that feels right for academic writing. I typically prefer pens that are on the shorter and fatter side because my hands are a mess from chronic overuse injuries, but there are some exceptions. The smallest pen that I have that I can use reliably (even on medium-bad days, but not on really bad days) is a Sailor Sapporo. Some of my other favourites are a Sailor Pro Gear, a Platinum 3776 century, and a Franklin Christoph model 02. Since size is a huge issue and online measurements don't always tell the whole story, I'd appreciate your comparisons to pens that I know. In addition to the ones I've listed, some of the standard pens I also have (and like) are several Kaweco Sports, a Pilot Prera, an Esterbrook J, a Sheaffer 444, and a TWSBI mini and Eco. My husband has a Skyline and a Metropolitan that I can also use for comparison purposes.

The candidates I've come up with (but I'd love other suggestions):

• Lamy 2000. I've seen one and the aesthetic doesn’t really do much for me, but I have a pen store nearish and will probably be revisiting it when I can test drive it. The big pluses for it is that it's fat and has a slip cap.
  • Kaweco Dia. Also a slip cap (which is a big plus, although not essential), and I have an obsession with Sports that probably borders on unhealthy.
  • Pelikan M600. This is really at the top end of what I'm willing to spend. I've always read excellent things about Pelikans, but have been concerned that the more affordable models will be too small. If anyone has both an m200/400/600 and a Sapporo or a Kaweco sport, how do the sizes (especially the girth) and hand feel compare? I don't think my nearish pen shop carries Pelikans, so I can't test them for myself.
  • Pilot Sterling. I'd buy this and the other Pilots from Japan to get a price I'm comfortable with. I love how these look and the slip cap is a huge plus, but I'm worried about the weight and balance. I don't mind heavy pens, but the heavier they are the fatter and shorter I need them.
  • Pilot CH92. Again, I'm concerned about the size. Just how small is it? How does it compare to the pens I know?
  • Pilot 823. This one isn't at the top of my list because the screw cap combined with having to open the back make me leery of having it as a workhorse, but it's been on my I WANTS IT list for years.
  • Bexley Stalwart. This one is a bit off the beaten track, but I like the look of it. I don't own any Bexleys and have no experience with the brand.

I'd prefer to stay in the $100-$200 range, but will go up to $400 for the right pen. I won't be making a purchase until July, so I have some time to ponder.

Thanks for your help in advance.

From the list provided, in my humble opinion, it seems that the Pelikan m600 perhaps is the best choice.

• 2 weeks later...

I am happy to report that I am now the proud owner of a Pilot 823 in amber with a medium nib. It is a magnificent pen to write with and should serve me well for many years. I have also embarked on a nib hunt for something worthy to be the business end of a custom pen.

Yet another Sarah.