Yet Another "what Should I Buy?" Thread.

displacermoose

Hello FPNers! I just won a big fellowship to finish writing a book, and I am thinking about buying a pen to celebrate and commemorate the occasion--what else would I buy, right? I have some thoughts, but I'd like to get some input from the brain trust here.

I'm looking for a workhorse with some style, something not too flashy that feels right for academic writing. I typically prefer pens that are on the shorter and fatter side because my hands are a mess from chronic overuse injuries, but there are some exceptions. The smallest pen that I have that I can use reliably (even on medium-bad days, but not on really bad days) is a Sailor Sapporo. Some of my other favourites are a Sailor Pro Gear, a Platinum 3776 century, and a Franklin Christoph model 02. Since size is a huge issue and online measurements don't always tell the whole story, I'd appreciate your comparisons to pens that I know. In addition to the ones I've listed, some of the standard pens I also have (and like) are several Kaweco Sports, a Pilot Prera, an Esterbrook J, a Sheaffer 444, and a TWSBI mini and Eco. My husband has a Skyline and a Metropolitan that I can also use for comparison purposes.

The candidates I've come up with (but I'd love other suggestions):

• Lamy 2000. I've seen one and the aesthetic doesn’t really do much for me, but I have a pen store nearish and will probably be revisiting it when I can test drive it. The big pluses for it is that it's fat and has a slip cap.
  • Kaweco Dia. Also a slip cap (which is a big plus, although not essential), and I have an obsession with Sports that probably borders on unhealthy.
  • Pelikan M600. This is really at the top end of what I'm willing to spend. I've always read excellent things about Pelikans, but have been concerned that the more affordable models will be too small. If anyone has both an m200/400/600 and a Sapporo or a Kaweco sport, how do the sizes (especially the girth) and hand feel compare? I don't think my nearish pen shop carries Pelikans, so I can't test them for myself.
  • Pilot Sterling. I'd buy this and the other Pilots from Japan to get a price I'm comfortable with. I love how these look and the slip cap is a huge plus, but I'm worried about the weight and balance. I don't mind heavy pens, but the heavier they are the fatter and shorter I need them.
  • Pilot CH92. Again, I'm concerned about the size. Just how small is it? How does it compare to the pens I know?
  • Pilot 823. This one isn't at the top of my list because the screw cap combined with having to open the back make me leery of having it as a workhorse, but it's been on my I WANTS IT list for years.
  • Bexley Stalwart. This one is a bit off the beaten track, but I like the look of it. I don't own any Bexleys and have no experience with the brand.

I'd prefer to stay in the $100-$200 range, but will go up to $400 for the right pen. I won't be making a purchase until July, so I have some time to ponder.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Yet another Sarah.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• displacermoose

• Pensei

• rwilsonedn

• Gudi

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

special occasion... why not thinking about a custom project with a North American pen maker. Edison, Scriptorium, Newton come to my mind. You can get something yours and only yours below 400. And they do write well.

I'd recommend Faber-Castell Emotion. It's a superb writer, very smooth and it fits your description of shorter, fatter pen. I personally enjoy a lot mine with pear wood finish.

The Pilot pens are not the largest, but they are wonderful writers. For myself, I wouldn't worry about the extra stuff you have to do on the 823--it becomes part of the writing experience and rather adds to the pleasure, like adjusting your chair or getting the lamp and window shade just right. But I would caution you to try holding one in person before buying it--the section may be too slender.

Another possibility, given your need for a larger girth, is that you can get a very nice used MB 146 for under $400, and if you are lucky a decent 149 for $400 or just a bit more. And as several other members can tell you much more accurately than I, there are some truly wonderful vintage large MB pens in this price range as well. A good MB can deliver a wonderful writing experience--a large section, an elegant nib, and beautiful workmanship. Sounds like you have earned it.

ron

special occasion... why not thinking about a custom project with a North American pen maker. Edison, Scriptorium, Newton come to my mind. You can get something yours and only yours below 400. And they do write well.

I'll have to think about that. I had planned to get something more "utilitarian" (if a fountain pen in the class I'm thinking about can ever be "utilitarian" :)), but a custom pen would certainly let me get one in the right size.

I'd recommend Faber-Castell Emotion. It's a superb writer, very smooth and it fits your description of shorter, fatter pen. I personally enjoy a lot mine with pear wood finish.

Those do look nice. I shall have to add it to my list. I really like the wood and it looks like it would be extremely comfortable to hold. Do you find it heavy?

The Pilot pens are not the largest, but they are wonderful writers. For myself, I wouldn't worry about the extra stuff you have to do on the 823--it becomes part of the writing experience and rather adds to the pleasure, like adjusting your chair or getting the lamp and window shade just right. But I would caution you to try holding one in person before buying it--the section may be too slender.

Another possibility, given your need for a larger girth, is that you can get a very nice used MB 146 for under $400, and if you are lucky a decent 149 for $400 or just a bit more. And as several other members can tell you much more accurately than I, there are some truly wonderful vintage large MB pens in this price range as well. A good MB can deliver a wonderful writing experience--a large section, an elegant nib, and beautiful workmanship. Sounds like you have earned it.

ron

Yes, that is my worry with the Pilots. I'll have to look more into the MB's. A quick google search found a couple of 146's from reputable dealers that are well within the price range. I hadn't really considered them before since I don't have the best associations with modern MB's, but the few vintage pens I own all have great character so a vintage MB might help me past my prejudices.

Yet another Sarah.

The Emotion barrel is metal with wood around it. So it's heavier than most plastic/resin pens.

Edit to add that it's not heavy to the point of being uncomfortable. The weight gives it a substantial feel that I find very desirable.

Edited by Gudi

... I'll have to look more into the MB's. A quick google search found a couple of 146's from reputable dealers that are well within the price range. I hadn't really considered them before since I don't have the best associations with modern MB's, but the few vintage pens I own all have great character so a vintage MB might help me past my prejudices.

My experience with MB has not been all that happy either, and I find the new ones ludicrously expensive. But I also have to admit that the older MB Meisterstuckes can be very fine pens.

Another possibility for a quite large-diameter pen that is really something special would be a hand-made Indian pen, from a vendor like Ranga, Gama, or Deccan. These pens can be quite wonderful, and often you can exchange email with the person who will build the pen to get just what you want. But they fall well below your price range, so they would be special by way of personal attention and craftsmanship, not by way of price.

ron

I really enjoy my Dia 2 although I must admit to a similar Kaweco obsession. Dia 2 is essentially the same nib as the cheaper parts of the range but a great balance and solid enjoyable writer.

I have both the Lamy 2000 and the Pilot CH 92. I love both of them, but they're not particularly girthy in the section. The Lamy tapers enough that, depending on where you grip, it could be too slender. The CH 92 is definitely on the slender side of medium, but not super skinny. Both work posted and are light, but the CH 92 is a screw-cap, which you mentioned is a turn-off.

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

I have the Platinum #3776 Century and the Pro Gear as a reference.

Slip cap, workhorse, all-week writing, medium-large pen, lightweight, perfectly balanced, and in your price range - Parker "51."

Workhorse, great capacity, medium-large pen, very light, great balance, a little more bling and some beautiful style, in your price range, but a screw cap - Parker Vac.

Pushing up the price, larger pen, the pen that put Parker on the map as a world-player in fountain pens, nice balance, iconic looks, pushing the price range - Parker Duofold.

I'd recommend you try a Lamy 2k before you buy. It's heavy, thick, metal section, and tabs to hold the cap on can be a bother. However, great design, large ink capacity, very good nib, and nearly indestructible. Not one of my favorites, but it's a good pen.

Buzz

Just one person's opinion, but I vote for the 823. It's longer, fatter, and heavier than some pens you say you like, e.g., the 3776, it is beautifully constructed, and it holds a ton of ink, which seems to be a bonus for your needs. Opening the tail piece is no big deal. This is really a fine pen.

My experience with MB has not been all that happy either, and I find the new ones ludicrously expensive. But I also have to admit that the older MB Meisterstuckes can be very fine pens.

Another possibility for a quite large-diameter pen that is really something special would be a hand-made Indian pen, from a vendor like Ranga, Gama, or Deccan. These pens can be quite wonderful, and often you can exchange email with the person who will build the pen to get just what you want. But they fall well below your price range, so they would be special by way of personal attention and craftsmanship, not by way of price.

ron

The most comfortable pen I own is actually an enormous ebonite Guilder. I'm not really after spending a lot of money as such, but rather getting a really functional daily writer that is a joy to use. Unfortunately, while the Guilder feels great (ebonite is my favourite pen material ever), it burps horribly and has some serious fit and finish issues which gives me pause. I'll look into ordering directly and maybe getting a handmade body with a really good nib. But, that does remind me of the Rangas at Peyton Street Pens with the vintage nibs. I have ordered a couple of pens from Terry and had a great experience both times. I'll have to see what she has or can get since I know she will stand behind them if they have problems.

I have both the Lamy 2000 and the Pilot CH 92. I love both of them, but they're not particularly girthy in the section. The Lamy tapers enough that, depending on where you grip, it could be too slender. The CH 92 is definitely on the slender side of medium, but not super skinny. Both work posted and are light, but the CH 92 is a screw-cap, which you mentioned is a turn-off.

The screw cap thing is not a huge deal, but yes, I would prefer a slip cap. They are easier to take notes with. I will have to see if I can play with some Pilots in person. They may not be the way to go for this specific pen, but I feel like I need at least one to have a solid representative of each of the Japanese big three.

I really enjoy my Dia 2 although I must admit to a similar Kaweco obsession. Dia 2 is essentially the same nib as the cheaper parts of the range but a great balance and solid enjoyable writer.

I have never had an issue with the nibs in my Sports, so that isn't an issue. They are the best daily carry pens ever. I have three always inked, and they are always reliable no matter how long they sit. Also, there is just something about that design that I love.

I have the Platinum #3776 Century and the Pro Gear as a reference.

Slip cap, workhorse, all-week writing, medium-large pen, lightweight, perfectly balanced, and in your price range - Parker "51."

Workhorse, great capacity, medium-large pen, very light, great balance, a little more bling and some beautiful style, in your price range, but a screw cap - Parker Vac.

Pushing up the price, larger pen, the pen that put Parker on the map as a world-player in fountain pens, nice balance, iconic looks, pushing the price range - Parker Duofold.

I'd recommend you try a Lamy 2k before you buy. It's heavy, thick, metal section, and tabs to hold the cap on can be a bother. However, great design, large ink capacity, very good nib, and nearly indestructible. Not one of my favorites, but it's a good pen.

Buzz

I don't own a Parker yet. Getting better details on the relative size and weight is very helpful. Thank you.

Yet another Sarah.

Just one person's opinion, but I vote for the 823. It's longer, fatter, and heavier than some pens you say you like, e.g., the 3776, it is beautifully constructed, and it holds a ton of ink, which seems to be a bonus for your needs. Opening the tail piece is no big deal. This is really a fine pen.

Ahhh, so it is fatter than the 3776. That is excellent news. I've adored that pen from afar for several years, but couldn't get a handle on just how fat it is.

Edited by displacermoose

Yet another Sarah.

If it is really a special occasion, go a little higher and get a Nakaya. You can get short and fat or long and fat and a pen that will last several lifetimes and be a joy to use every time.

http://www.fototime.com/6D2FA537CEFE35C/large.jpg

Nakayas are light, like writing with air. The urushi coating is finger friendly, does not slip when wet, allows you complete control with a very light hand, is relaxing, looks great, is nearly impervious to potential damage and will only get better with each generations use.

You have accomplished something. You deserve a reward that will remain significant for at least a lifetime. Yes it is slightly above your current maximum budget but if amortized over the next fifty years or century is frugal.

Quality last longer than mere money.

My Website

I don't about this stuff. However, if it is a "big" grant, and my first one, I would have a pen made.

Edited by Sasha Royale

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Fat? Slip cap? Waterman Carene and (I BELIEVE) Sheaffer Legacy. Might be a touch heavy to use for you, might not. Oh, and congratulations!

My latest ebook.   And not just for Halloween!

My other pen is a Montblanc.

I have similar hand issues and my favorite pens are: Newton Townsend in his medium size, Franklin-Christoph model 66, Pilot 823, 912 and VP, Sailor 1911L, Platinum 3776, Delta Unica and Pilot Kakuno. All have somewhat thick sections (or just not thin...) and balance well in my hand.

Here's a link to a picture I took of my Lamy 2000 and my Pilot CH 92, side-by-side, if that helps: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/6nrc0f82f8u52vv/AAC7TYyKUUT7uAWvcIS9MtVVa

Edit: trying to attach picture

post-128711-0-90210000-1458273312_thumb.jpg

Edited by katm201

Aurora Optima Nero Perla M | Eversharp Skyline Blue Flexible F | Franklin-Christoph 31 Purpurae Fine SIG | Franklin-Christoph 45 IPO Coco Pearl Medium Stub | Franklin-Christoph 45 Antique Glass MCI | Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Italian Ice MCI | Lamy 2000 F | Lamy 2000 M | Lamy Studio Violet Steel F | Lamy Studio Wild Rubin 14k FM (Custom Ground) | Montblanc Meisterstuck Mozart Solitaire Doue Sterling Silver 925 M | Namiki Vanishing Point Faceted M | Parker Duofold Senior Green Stripe (1941 - 1948) Flexible F | Parker Vacumatic Junior Green F | Pelikan M200 Traditional Black F | Pelikan M215 Rings F | Pelikan M400 White Tortoise EF | Pilot CH 92 Blue FM | Pilot CH 92 Clear M | Pilot Decimo Violet F | Pilot Metropolitan Black Crocodile F | Pilot Metropolitan Silver M | Pilot Vanishing Point Matte Black B Architect | Pilot Vanishing Point Raden Water Surface F | Platinum Century 3776 Chartres Blue SF | Sailor Pro Gear Imperial Black H-M | Sailor Sapporo Violet H-FM | TWSBI Eco Black M | TWSBI Eco Clear F | TWSBI Vac 700 0.7 CI (Custom Ground)

Ahhh, so it is fatter than the 3776. That is excellent news. I've adored that pen from afar for several years, but couldn't get a handle on just how fat it is.

I'm going to correct myself a little bit on this. I think my mind played a trick on me, in that the 823 is definitely longer and heavier, but in terms of diameter, it's a close call. The main part of the barrel is essentially the same, with the section on the 823 just a tiny bit bigger. The diameter of the cap is also larger on the 823. Sorry for the imprecision.