The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

How To Care For Hard Rubber/celluloid Pelikans?

hard rubber celluloid

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,602 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 23:58

Some leathers should not be used on fountain pens....from my reading.

Especially in hot humid climes. Even rubber sac pens died early out there where the ED is still king.

I wish I could help you.....you have tried a light rub of Semichrome?

Though your problem sounds a bit deeper than what Semi-chrome can do.....Nova?...Novas? from the States...a 3 stage polishing system, might be of help. It can clear up jet plexiglass.

A long time ago I'd wanted some but they didn't want to ship to Germany.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Sponsored Content

#22 EclecticCollector

EclecticCollector

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 726 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:48

Hi Bo Bo

How about the blue celluloid of the Lapis 1935 cap top which has discoloured from blue to purple.. I didn't use any polishing material on the pen. It was kept for sometime in the pen case.

Regards
Daeng

It could be instability of the celluloid, Omas's blue royale is famous for turning into purple royale.

#23 daenghafez

daenghafez

exquisite & rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:08

Thanks guys for your comment. Very unfortunate if it is irreversible.

#24 DrCodfish

DrCodfish

neophyte

• Member - Gold

• 1,590 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 04:47

When I bought mine (the Jade and the Lapis) I was told that there is a tendency for the Binde to develop a 'wrinkle' or slight distortion, particularly the Jade.  You cannot see it in mine but if I close my eyes and run my fingers up and down the sides of the binde I can just barely detect a slight wave or wrinkle in the material.  Try this test on you pens, I would like to hear how many others have a similar experience,

Beautiful pens otherwise with no discoloration so far.

#25 daenghafez

daenghafez

exquisite & rare

• Member - Gold

• 1,580 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 November 2016 - 16:24

When I bought mine (the Jade and the Lapis) I was told that there is a tendency for the Binde to develop a 'wrinkle' or slight distortion, particularly the Jade.  You cannot see it in mine but if I close my eyes and run my fingers up and down the sides of the binde I can just barely detect a slight wave or wrinkle in the material.  Try this test on you pens, I would like to hear how many others have a similar experience,

Beautiful pens otherwise with no discoloration so far.

I've tried both the Lapis & Jade. Both bindes are smooth when I run my finger on them.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hard rubber, celluloid

Sponsored Content

|