The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Ink And Nitrocellulose

quink ink celluloid vacumatic ink vue nitrocellulose

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SilverPearlVacumatic

SilverPearlVacumatic

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2016 - 21:35

Hello Everyone,

Quink seems to be a reputable ink and is generally considered safe.  The original composition used isopropyl alcohol as a solvent.  This is known to dissolve nitrocellulose (celluloid, pyroxylin, et cetera), but was advertised to accompany the Parker vacumatic that had a barrel of exposed nitrocellulose.  The advertisements for quink emphasized the harmlessness of the chemicals it was made from.  The current recipe for quink, as I understand, contains no isopropyl alcohol, but does contain diethylene glycol, which is still a solvent to nitrocellulose. 

I have come across a few posts which warn that quink or vintage quink can damage celluloid, but half of the time they seem to be confusing it with superchrome.

I have personally never seen celluloid pens that appear to have been dissolved from the inside out. 

Is quink safe for celluloid pens?  Has anyone come across damage from inks that are solvents to the barrel that they are held in?  Do other inks contain solvents that dissolve nitrocellulose, but result in a neutral pH and pass other safety tests?  Did Parker line the barrels of third generation vacumatics with a chemically robust plastic (as I have heard rumored)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Content

#2 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,059 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 17:47

Hmm.... I'm going to move this to the Parker forum, because you haven't gotten any responses here.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Participate in the newest Inky TODs: 

Why do I like those nibs? 

What do I like about my handwriting? 

Whose handwriting do I like?  

Which Script Will I learn? 

Which Inks for my Handwriting

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal

#3 richardandtracy

richardandtracy

Ancient Artifact

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,687 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 March 2016 - 20:35

I was unaware that Quink ever had IPA, I knew it had Phenol, but if it had IPA, I missed it. It would be a real surprise if it used to have IPA, simply due to its volatility, really wouldn't stay in the pen for long before evaporating.

Do you have references for the claims that Quink contains diethylene glycol? I'd like to check this out myself. I have two celluloid pens, one an Onoto and the other is a Delta. Both gorgeous pens, both of which I have filled with black Quink with no visible effect in a couple of years of sporadic use.

Of all the inks I have, I do regard Quink as the most harmless, and possibly most boring.

Regards,

Richard.

#4 SilverPearlVacumatic

SilverPearlVacumatic

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 March 2016 - 00:32

I googled "MSDS Parker Quink" and I found this:

http://dgduupz79pcvd...vow/pa03121.pdf

Some other common inks contain ethylene glycol and glycerol.  Does anyone know if these harmful to nitrocellulose?

Has anyone had bad results with certain inks and celluloid?

#5 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,012 posts

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:51

I'm reasonably sure that there were no MSDSs written for the 1930s formulation of Quink.

I'm also reasonably sure it is safe to use Quink in old pens.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quink, ink, celluloid, vacumatic, ink vue, nitrocellulose

Sponsored Content

|