• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• A4Skyhawk

• pepsiplease69

• tartuffo

• tinta

Hi,

Originals are 30x60mm.

> Sailor 1911M + MS nib - from my comparo of Sailor Jentle Sky High to Pilot kon-peki :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Comparison%20-%20Sailor%20Jentle%20SH%20TO%20Pilot%20kon-peki/894b6834.jpg

> Non-Nudist Pink Safari + 1.1 - from my IR of Aurora Blue :

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy116/Sandy1-1/FPN%20Stuff%20-%202011/Ink%20Review%20-%20Aurora%20Blue/c279df14.jpg

In addition to the scans above, those Topics include NIB-ism samples, more written samples, and the same atrocious handwriting.

It seems the two-tine Sailor MS nib has a great amount of tipping material, so under the hand of a master craftsman can be reshaped and tuned to a greater extent than most Broad nibs and three-tine MS nibs.

Bye,

S1

Thanks. It does appear that the Sailor Music (1.15 mm) is comparable to the Lamy 1.1 in the vertical, but not a fine in the horizontal.

Bill

Edited by A4Skyhawk

http://i.imgur.com/SDt15te.jpghttp://i.imgur.com/UVjb6TY.jpg

Thanks. Pretty close, but Lamy 1.5 looks a tad wider in the vert., and finer in the horiz.

Bill

Clever - who needs a calculator. Something else to make my writing more presentable!

Bill

P.S. - Can you please describe what Mr. Masuyama did to your Sailor Music nibs? Does "sharpening" make it an italic, or CI, or stub?

I had some of the nibs done at SF pen show a couple of years back. He did one or two of them on the spot and had to take the extras back with him so he can work on them offsite and mail them to me.

As far as I can remember he was putting a note with the pens he was taking back and he described it as a "stub with a crisp edge". I also had him tune the flow to my liking.

Please do as time allows.

If Aurora, then I only have to refill at my own ink station. Aurora is my favorite black.

Confirmed!

Knock yourself out with that bottle of Aurora.. nobody's looking :)

@pepsiplease69:

Awesome comparo, thanks. "Stub with a crisp edge" looks good. In spite of being 1.15 mm wide, the Sailor Music nib is a close match to the Lamy 1.5 in the vert. Maybe because of "ink flow" tune? From what I see w/ my Lamy 1.1 and 1.5 stubs, I'm looking for something in the middle.

For ink flow, based on my experience w/ my current 10 fps, I would ask for the pen to flow under it's own weight - but not heavily. But maybe that doesn't define ink flow well enough?

Bill

@pepsiplease69:

Awesome comparo, thanks. "Stub with a crisp edge" looks good. In spite of being 1.15 mm wide, the Sailor Music nib is a close match to the Lamy 1.5 in the vert. Maybe because of "ink flow" tune? From what I see w/ my Lamy 1.1 and 1.5 stubs, I'm looking for something in the middle.

For ink flow, based on my experience w/ my current 10 fps, I would ask for the pen to flow under it's own weight - but not heavily. But maybe that doesn't define ink flow well enough?

Bill

I hate to be the guy who gives the answer "it depends". But your ink performance on paper, breadth of the line will be a result of many factors.

Ink flow, likewise will depend on what ink you're using and on which paper.

If you want to get one of the sailor music nibs ground and the flow tuned, my advice would be to bring the pen preloaded with the ink you'll use most of the time with that pen. If not the exact ink then an ink from the same family, the same brand, so that your wetness/surface tension is in the same ballpark.

Also bring the same paper you will mostly use, rhodia, tomoe river or what have you.

You don't want to have the nib tuned for the correct flow and later try a wetter ink and have it gush all over.

I generally stick to Iroshizuku and sailor inks as my standard.

I hate to be the guy who gives the answer "it depends". But your ink performance on paper, breadth of the line will be a result of many factors.

Ink flow, likewise will depend on what ink you're using and on which paper.

If you want to get one of the sailor music nibs ground and the flow tuned, my advice would be to bring the pen preloaded with the ink you'll use most of the time with that pen. If not the exact ink then an ink from the same family, the same brand, so that your wetness/surface tension is in the same ballpark.

Also bring the same paper you will mostly use, rhodia, tomoe river or what have you.

You don't want to have the nib tuned for the correct flow and later try a wetter ink and have it gush all over.

I generally stick to Iroshizuku and sailor inks as my standard.

I checked w/ Mike Masuyama on what his schedule is for pen shows this year, and will meet up with him at the D.C. show this August, keeping in mind the points that you made above.

Based on the input that I got from this thread, my first step will now be to buy the 1911 large with a stock Music nib, get some time with it, and go from there.

Also need to try the inks you mentioned. To date, I have been using black Sheaffer Skrip and Pilot blue on Rhodia No. 18.

Thanks,

Bill

two Sailor music nibs

http://i.imgur.com/ko19EMN.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/A2SnGjt.jpg

Thanks. They are very close. I've decided to go w/ the 1911 large & Music nib. We'll see how it works out.

Bill

I checked w/ Mike Masuyama on what his schedule is for pen shows this year, and will meet up with him at the D.C. show this August,,

my first step will now be to buy the 1911 large with a stock Music nib, get some time with it, and go from there.

Sounds like an excellent plan. If you have the dollars, get him to grind

a Platinum 3776 / Nakaya music nib too. You won't regret it.

Interesting. One of my other pens is a Platinum Century #1 Black w/ a Broad gold nib. It feels noticeably different than my other pens - has some audible feedback, and a tactile feel - not scratchy, but not a floater either. I'm still trying to warm up to it.

If you have time, could you show a comparo of the Platinum Music vs the Sailor 1911 21 kt Music?

Thanks,

Bill

........could you show a comparo of the Platinum Music vs the Sailor 1911 21 kt Music?

Here you go but it's not a fair comparison as the Nakaya & Platinum music nibs have a cursive italic grind.

http://i.imgur.com/mRIsKsx.jpg

Thanks. It does appear that the Sailor Music (1.15 mm) is comparable to the Lamy 1.1 in the vertical, but not a fine in the horizontal.

Bill

Hi,

One thing to note about the Japanese MS nibs is that the line width varies according to the posture of the pen. If holding the pen on tippy-toes, (quite vertical), the line will be more narrow. I tend to grasp pens rather high on the section, so the nib is at a fairly low angle to the paper, hence may need to steepen the angle to get the desired line from an MS nib. (I currently use a Fude nib for non-text illustrations doodles.)

The factory stock italic/stub nibs also have that characteristic, but to a lesser extent.

The expertly hand-ground italic/stub nibs I own have a very distinct sweet spot, so the line variation is optimized; and once you're 'in the groove' they are wonderful.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

Here you go but it's not a fair comparison as the Nakaya & Platinum music nibs have a cursive italic grind.

http://i.imgur.com/mRIsKsx.jpg

Thanks. I just ordered a Platinum 3776 Century Bourgogne Music, a Sailor 1911 Large w/ Music nib, as well as a 1.1 and 1.5 TWSBI stubs for my Diamond 580 USA. Lots of breaking in and experimenting coming up.

Thanks to everyone for your input and comparos!

Hi,

One thing to note about the Japanese MS nibs is that the line width varies according to the posture of the pen. If holding the pen on tippy-toes, (quite vertical), the line will be more narrow. I tend to grasp pens rather high on the section, so the nib is at a fairly low angle to the paper, hence may need to steepen the angle to get the desired line from an MS nib. (I currently use a Fude nib for non-text illustrations doodles.)

The factory stock italic/stub nibs also have that characteristic, but to a lesser extent.

The expertly hand-ground italic/stub nibs I own have a very distinct sweet spot, so the line variation is optimized; and once you're 'in the groove' they are wonderful.

Wheee!

Bye,

S1

OK. Will check this out on the new toys that I just ordered (above).