Lamy Dark Lilac And Edelstein Aquamarine Swabs

Sajen006

Today, I've got something very special for you...

Yes, friends, as you may have guessed from the title, I've gotten my hands on a bottle each of this year's special edition inks from Lamy AND Pelikan. My local retailer had gotten these inks early and, of course, I had to have them!

I have yet to write any review, of any ink, since I'm still not very experienced in ink and their properties, but, if you guys would like me to give it a shot, I might be able to find time to write reviews of these inks tomorrow or later in the week. I did, however, take a couple of Q-tip swabs and inked up a couple of pens to make sure I get them up here ASAP, since I haven't found a single picture or scan of the actual ink anywhere online.

I'll not keep you waiting any longer now, here are the swabs!

post-126034-0-07685200-1458148263_thumb.jpg

Dark Lilac is what I would consider a pure purple, way less pinkish than the Lamy Violet ink, judging from what I've found online, since I do not actually have the ink. However, I have a friend who does, and might check to see if I can get a small sample for comparison. This is just what I've been wanting to get, a plain purple, something that is available in other inks, I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but now, this bottle will serve me well. The writing on the side is with a Lamy Steel M nib, and shows a bit of shading, not anything crazy, but it's not uniform in color.

Now, to the Pelikan Edelstein Aquamarine, this is an ink I really like! It's what I would consider a darker, bluish turquoise, but a sea blue (not like in a lagoon, but the open sea) leaning towards turquoise/teal might be a better description. This ink shows more shading in the swab, but less in the writing, this is most likely due to my Medium Lamy 2000 being very wet after just being inked up, so I would expect to see more shading during actual use, I will get back to that in this thread after I've tried out the ink for a day or two.

I can say that I am absolutely stoked on getting to actually use these inks, since they are both colors I really do enjoy writing with, and I hope that these quick swabs were of interest to you, especially since the Edelstein ink isn't the cheapest either.

Judging from these inks, 2016 is looking to be an interesting year, and it's only just begun!

EDIT: I will just make sure to mention that my monitor is not in anyway properly color calibrated and my scanner isn't the best either, so I have not made any modifications to the scan to make it exactly the right color, since that, frankly, isn't possible for me at this time. Comparing the scan and the actual swab, they do, however, look very similar, the DL being a bit less vibrant in the scan, but that may very well be my monitor having the blue light toned down a lot. Based on my best judgement, the scans seem accurate enough, but I can not be 100 % sure that this is the case, so just be aware of this if you are trying to perfectly match or compare this ink with something.

Edited by Sajen006

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sajen006

• Noihvo

• AndyYNWA

• plumista

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Really really pretty. Thank you.

~Epic

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1348/557449480_2f02cc3cbb_m.jpg http://null.aleturo.com/Dumatborlon/Badges/5EH4/letter.png

A sincere man am I
From the land where palm trees grow,
And I want before I die
My soul's verses to bestow.

All those moments will be lost in time.
Like tears in rain.
Time to die.

I love both of these colors, so thank you for taking the time to post this! But since I already own the Pelikan Amethyst, I will probably skip the Lamy and just go with Pelikan again (I adore teals and blue/greens).

Love the dark lilac. I do have the Lamy Violet (and use it quite a lot), but I can see I will be a fan of this new ink.

Is that the ink that will go with this year's special edition Safari?

Yes, it is indeed! I have seen the pen in person too at the same retailer, and the color is very similar between the pen and ink, as to be expected when they are part of the same color line-up.

I have Pelikan's Amethyst but prefer the Lamy Dark Violet. Looks like both of these will make the cut for my stash!

Thanks for sharing!!

Yes, it is indeed! I have seen the pen in person too at the same retailer, and the color is very similar between the pen and ink, as to be expected when they are part of the same color line-up.

Cool. I told myself I had enough Lamy pens, but that might be hard to resist. The pictures of the pen look great.

So, it's now time -- again, for about the third or fourth time -- for me to bite the sour apple and find out that [A] that Lamy ink isn't even here (in Germany) yet and won't arrive until at least April 1st. A very good choice, I must say. That info is from Heidelberg and they also don't know if that'll ever be available in bottles here, either. Same procedure as every year. Lamy Coral, Orange, Lime, you name it, it's issued for and/or with their Safaris (even Lamy knows that) but why these inks in bottled form are always available in a lot of countries bot not in Germany is beyond me....

[C] A new phone call just confirmed this calamity and they said that these inks are not sold here because they just don't sell well enough. Aww, gee.........................

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/saurer%20Apfel2.jpg

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

It's frustrating. I believe it would be nice if they gave at least a chance to get them in Europe from some online retaileres (La Couronne, Appelblom, others). Maybe we should send them mails. One question won't change anything, 10 probably won't as well, but 100 would hopefully be treated as a sign that there are some crazy people around in Europe willing to get LE inks bottles and not only carts. I know 100 is a ridiculous number for big company but still - if no one asks, no one will know there's some interest in these bottles.

So, it's now time -- again, for about the third or fourth time -- for me to bite the sour apple and find out that [A] that Lamy ink isn't even here (in Germany) yet and won't arrive until at least April 1st. A very good choice, I must say. That info is from Heidelberg and they also don't know if that'll ever be available in bottles here, either. Same procedure as every year. Lamy Coral, Orange, Lime, you name it, it's issued for and/or with their Safaris (even Lamy knows that) but why these inks in bottled form are always available in a lot of countries bot not in Germany is beyond me....

[C] A new phone call just confirmed this calamity and they said that these inks are not sold here because they just don't sell well enough. Aww, gee.........................

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/peli46/saurer%20Apfel2.jpg

Makes me wonder how they came to that conclusion. Was there ever a Lamy special edition ink available in bottles in Germany?

.... Was there ever a Lamy special edition ink available in bottles in Germany?

Not that I know of and I ask every time and then still end up buying a handful of cartridge packs and then dump them all out into a bottle. I think I might quit soon and boycott them but who am I.... or, as Visva just said.... start a frustration squad and get them dozens of mails sent from all over Europe. I think they need to be filled in.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Thank you for sharing! I plan to get a bottle of each, along with the Lamy Dark Lilac pen - when it becomes available.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks, Sajen, for some successful enabling. You just provided Pen Store some service and "made me" order the Dark Lilac Safari (+ converter) and a matching ink bottle. Really weird that we get German ink before the germans do…

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

So, I thought I would quickly get back to y'all regarding the shading of the Edelstein ink, it's definitely present in everyday writing, no doubt about that. However, it's not something to write home about, but it is there and it makes your writing more interesting than a flatter color would.

Thank you for showing the inks and I like the pen.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

@Sajen006 -- Thanks for posting the scans. As I suspected, Edelstein Aquamarine is not a color for me. The other ink is a maybe -- like cello, I already have Edelstein Amethyst, plus I have a lot of other similarly toned purples (MB Lavender Purple, Pelikan Violet, Diamine Tyrian Purple), so it's a maybe....

@Noihvo -- totally jealous that you have already gotten your hands on the Dark Lilac Safari. I wasn't really a Safari fan -- until that color was announced....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."