Extremely Happy With My New Limited Edition Montblanc Francoise I But...

Bigmacmagicmac

Vintage and Ancient Artifact or like you NOS (BigMac), is a guide to how many posts one has, not our names.

I'd really not expect anyone to tweek at the boutique, but hope I'm wrong. Those are just sales people.** They may have to send it in to get the flow adjusted.

** Back in the day of the corner pen shop in B&W TV days...those were trained.

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigmacmagicmac

• fromthecrowd

• rwilsonedn

• Bo Bo Olson

Hello everyone,

The visit yesterday to the store went very well. The most experienced (not sure if he´s the owner of the store) sales person was present and he immediately started testing the pen. He wrote the same set of characters on the same pics of paper and stroke with his finger to see how long the stain was, in other words how much ink was put down on the paper and how the flow is. He did this by comparison with the Duofold and the Boheme also.

He confirmed my findings and showed by pointing out the stain after his finger stroke, that it did leave a little less ink than the Duofold and also the Boheme. The Duofold is even filled with black ink, which is normally drier then blue ink due to the higher amount of pigments in it.

He confirmed also that the Boheme was wetter but he also said that the nib (although also F like the Francois I) seemed a little bit wider. So same nib size but still a very small difference.

Anyway he offered me to help in adjusting the baldes of the nib just in the way Artifact advised me to do. He took it out in the back and he adjusted the nib a little, supposedly to widen a little the blades to get a bit more ink flowing. The first adjustment I noticed hardly anything so he offered to adjust it a little more. He repeated his trick and now I definitely noticed a difference. More ink, better flow, more easy writing, less resistance. In short exactly what I was looking for.

Forgot to add that before adjusting my wife also wrote with the pens and he also pointed out that my writing style is completely different than hers. The writing angle but also the pressure on the paper. I tend to write without pressing at all while she tends to push more on the paper, so naturally the flow of ink is coming out much better than while I am writing.

For this difference he told me also to continue to write as much as posible. Get adjusted to the Francois I, feel it, get to know it better and a long the way get to use it better. The Duofold is completely different, the biggest difference is the weight but also the distance of the fingers and her to the paper. The nib is slightly larger also. I am trying to say that according to the store I need to adjust and get to know the Francois I also better first.

Anyhow, the flow is now slightly better since the adjustment. I bought Clairefontaine notebooks just now in the city center so let the writing begin I would say.

The man from the store also advised me to keep writing with the Francois I mostly for the the time being but certainly continue to write with the Duofold also. Just momentarily the coming two to three months more with the Francois I. Perfect advice I think.

The store in Barcelona is fantastic, I knew this already since they helped me out a few years back with finding a new cap for my Duofold. The really did go to great length to help me out back then and they even did´t charge me anything for it. Amazing and unbelievable and I was so very much impressed by this level of service that I promised them that whatever writing equipment I would be buying, I would buy it from them. Now I bought there the Francois I and again their service is absolutely amazing. So I´d be happy to mention them but not sure if I am allow on this forum? They would really deserve it!!

Happy writing now!!

Hello Bo Bo,

Sorry I see now what you mean. My sincere apologies, I don't write on many forums (yet). Thanks for the advice though.

Regards,

Mark

Congratulations on a happy result. It sounds like you have an excellent pen store there. Not many of those left in the world, I'm afraid. And an interesting observation about the difference in writing pressure between your hand and your wife's. I sometimes wonder if modern pen manufacturers aren't tuning their pens for heavy-handed writers--people who are used to ballpoints. That would certainly explain the common occurrence of baby-bottom on some otherwise very good pens. But it would be a real problem for those of us who try to write with a proper lack of pressure.

Thank you for sharing your experience and information!

ron

Edited by rwilsonedn

Hello Ron,

Thanks for your feedback. Indeed, the level of service is outstanding and unfortunately a dying breed. Luxury brands too should realize this more but unfortunately no one thinks long term anymore. Shame but true. I hope that maybe some day this will change again, not very hopeful but you never know. Same with the tendency of people to look out again for more natural food and products as before. A fountain pen for me should float over the paper, almost hover over it. Because of the flow of wet ink the effort should be as less as possible, almost like painting. The effortless, smooth movement over the paper is what gives me such please and exactly what I hate about ballpoint pens. In addition the beauty of the pen, the nib, the feeling in your hand and grip of your fingers all together makes the writing experience a true pleasure. I should have been a writer I sometimes think but unfortunately I´m not able to put three normal, coherent lines together. :D That´s ok, I still continue writing nonsense pure for the pleasure of it.

First I owe my wife an old fashioned love letter, she made me promise this for letting me have my new fountain pen :D :D :D.

I am happy to have found fellow aficionados here although I do realize that all this is pure luxury. Out there there is a tremendous amount of struggle and suffering and I do realize that all my "fuss" is actually totally and utterly unimportant on a larger scale of course. Thanks for sharing all of you.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I am writing as much as I can which is hard these days with so much computer work but I am trying. The progress goes with ups and downs. Some days I think it is almost writing perfect and then again (like this morning) it seems again to flow less. It is rather a mystery really. On the one hand interesting on the other quite frustrating also. Then I again I will give it more time first before starting to fiddle with it again. The flow seems to be a bit better but still the pen stutters while writing and and angle is still a very delicate issue. So when you hold it at a slightly different angle, it stops writing. Very unforgiven as compared to my Duofold therefore. Totally different pens, styles and handling. That´s one thing that is clear to me by now. The characters of both pens are totally and utterly different. Because of small but immense differences in length, weight, tip length, writing distance to the paper, pressure, etc. Because of these enormous differences I need to write such more with the Francois I also.

Glad your store is one of the good ones.

What angle are you holding the pen, or are you letting the pen find it's owns angle due to it's weight and length.

I'm pretty sure you are holding behind the big knuckle being from Spain and more than likely learned how in school.

The exact angle should not be a problem, 45-40 or even a low 35 degrees should do.

If you could post a picture, we could have more ideas of how to help.....well, I'm glad there are lots of folks that know more than me. :rolleyes:

There could be some baby bottom involved. So if you can look that up, it would be good.

If you have three days time, look in Richard Binder's site. It is the Bible of pens; nibs, filling systems and good advice on inks.

Once 96% of all I knew was from there, now it's only 92 1/2%.....in seven years one should have learned something. :)

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Indeed, we mostly talk about developed-world problems here. From what you write, it sounds like your pen is now set pretty well for you, and now it is your turn to adjust to the small sweet spot on the nib. Sometimes a delicate sweet spot is the price for a wonderful writing experience.

As to being a writer, from what you've written here I'd say you should explore that further. Don't quit your day job (writers mostly starve) and don't expect your field notes or a first draft to be perfect. If something doesn't please you, it is giving you an opportunity to revise it--and to use your pen more. After all, some very successful writers died of old age still revising their manuscripts--they never were satisfied with their work. So enjoy your pen, and enjoy writing.

ron

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the encouraging words. It´s nice to have found people who share a common interest, hobby or even way of life. Enjoying something a lot is nice, true while realizing the scope of it and not exaggerating it too much but still, to the right extent is can be a beautiful thing. When I look back at all the years I have been enjoying my Duofold and still continue to enjoy it, I can only be grateful for yet another beautiful pen which I will enjoy again so much and even my children perhaps after me.

Today I had the time to write and experience a bit more and did something I should have done a lot sooner (however it had nod occurred to me before). I tried dipping the pen in ink to see if there was a considerable difference which in fact there is. It makes me wonder again if the flow of the nib is optimum or still not. While dipping and writing, the flow and writing is considerably better. Not too much either but just about right. Wetter, smoother and almost without effort. Therefore I again think the flow of the ink must be the issue. The nib writes beautifully, the tip is beautiful and touches the surface in a smooth and easy way. Having enough ink is what makes it fly over the paper and as soon as the flow dries up a little I start to notice the difference again. I think I might try dipping once in a while a little, see if "kickstarting" it might do the trick and see how it will evolve.

Interesting or actually quite surprising these experiences but also partly fun. I´ll try and update of course as before.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I continue to write with my Francoise I but the results remain to mixed. Some moments are ok. Not good nor great but acceptable but overall I can´t say that the writing experience is as it should be. I continue to use my Parker also and the difference remains huge. The flow of the ink is still erratic. Jump start when first using the pen, stuttering while writing and still not wet enough. Compared to the Parker.

I had a good and detailed look at the nib which they adjusted in the store where I bought the pen but it looks a bit messy to me. They have tried to open the nib a bit that´s clear and also makes sense but I am not really happy with the mark they have left on the tip of the plastic an then end of the nib. I tried to include a picture but it is hard to make a proper picture from that close and blown up also. I will try to make a better picture later for you to see if the mark they have left is normal or indeed they did something quite brutal. It looks like they poked in the plastic with a hot needle of some sort.

If it would have had the desired effect I could live with it but that´s unfortunately not the case. I am not sure what to do but I feel I have to do something. It is still too disappointing to have such a beautiful and special pen from the world´s most famous brand (and costly not to forget) while it writes not perfectly. Sad but true. I still want to give the shop where I bought the pen the chance to fix this issue for me. i´d be happy if they would send the pen to MB and have them take a look at it. I´d like to have their opinion on it actually. It seems silly or maybe to some overdone but I can´t believe that the pen is writing as it should.

Maybe in the end it come come to that conclusion. It´s a possibility but for now I am still not convinced and would like MB to have it checked out. Any one experiences with sending their fountain pen back to MB with similar problems? Stuttering, flow of ink issues, etc? I really hope they want to help me out as well in the shop as at MB.

:yikes: what a struggle. It is on the scale of the universe of course nothing, just a small shame. However I am not giving up yet. Thanks for all attention and help.

post-128831-0-80806500-1461749171_thumb.jpg

Hi everyone,

I continue to write with my Francoise I but the results remain to mixed. Some moments are ok. Not good nor great but acceptable but overall I can´t say that the writing experience is as it should be. I continue to use my Parker also and the difference remains huge. The flow of the ink is still erratic. Jump start when first using the pen, stuttering while writing and still not wet enough. Compared to the Parker.

I had a good and detailed look at the nib which they adjusted in the store where I bought the pen but it looks a bit messy to me. They have tried to open the nib a bit that´s clear and also makes sense but I am not really happy with the mark they have left on the tip of the plastic an then end of the nib. I tried to include a picture but it is hard to make a proper picture from that close and blown up also. I will try to make a better picture later for you to see if the mark they have left is normal or indeed they did something quite brutal. It looks like they poked in the plastic with a hot needle of some sort.

If it would have had the desired effect I could live with it but that´s unfortunately not the case. I am not sure what to do but I feel I have to do something. It is still too disappointing to have such a beautiful and special pen from the world´s most famous brand (and costly not to forget) while it writes not perfectly. Sad but true. I still want to give the shop where I bought the pen the chance to fix this issue for me. i´d be happy if they would send the pen to MB and have them take a look at it. I´d like to have their opinion on it actually. It seems silly or maybe to some overdone but I can´t believe that the pen is writing as it should.

Maybe in the end it come come to that conclusion. It´s a possibility but for now I am still not convinced and would like MB to have it checked out. Any one experiences with sending their fountain pen back to MB with similar problems? Stuttering, flow of ink issues, etc? I really hope they want to help me out as well in the shop as at MB.

:yikes: what a struggle. It is on the scale of the universe of course nothing, just a small shame. However I am not giving up yet. Thanks for all attention and help.

From your pic of the nib, am getting a feeling that the nib slit may not be aligned to the feed groove. With a magnifier or a loupe, look down through the nib hole. You should be able to see the feed grooves.

A lifelong FP user...

Hello Deepak23,

Thanks for the feedback. I am a newly so I have to check more in detail what you mean exactly. My magnifier is also rubbish so I need to find a better one also.

Being rubbish the magnifier, I still can clearly see that the black back part of the nib, the outer end has been touched but quite brutal. To open the slit maybe? I am not sure. I will try to make some better pictures, look up what you advised me and try to check it.

I will post some additional pictures later today.

Thanks for your help!

Hopefully the nib is better visible on these pictures. I think that they have tried to adjust it a bit rough but I am not sure. I only know that the writing has not improved (enough).

Hope some one can judge this better than I can. I still feel that the Montblanc company should take a look at it also. Just for double checking.

Thanks.

post-128831-0-80103900-1462111511_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-04100500-1462111522_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-73507800-1462111530_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-33687500-1462111543_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-60253800-1462111553_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-02217200-1462111567_thumb.jpg

jetpens.com also has a nice bunch of articles. I must first get a good magnifier but still think that if there is a problem, Montblanc should try and fix it.

Would you or anyone think that it may help if I´d write some more time with the pen still? See if it will improve?

Not sure what to do but I´ll take it from day to day. Deepak´s advice is really good but honestly I can´t check it properly yet. I need a better magnifier I think in order to see it better.

You seem to have purchased a lot of worry and angst instead of joy.

Your pen has a two year guarantee, which you will invalidate if you try and fix the pen yourself.

Send it back to Mont Blanc and let them sort it out.

At least you have your Parker to keep you going and it will put your mind more at ease.

You seem to have purchased a lot of worry and angst instead of joy.

I'd say that's an excellent way to put. This statement resonates with me as I have the same problem with pens from time to time. I find that it's usually best to put the pen up for sale on the used market and move on. I take a financial hit but emotionally it helps. I can stop obsessing about it. At times sending it to a nimeister has turned the situation around, but it's no guarantee.

Pens are so personal and everyone's tastes are different. I've found that pens that work perfectly for others may not even write for me. I've also found that pens that work perfectly for me do not write well for others.

F​rom your pictures it looks as though the nib does not sit on the feed in perfect alignment.

​Does the store have another Francoise pen ? Can you try it out and compare ? If the other one writes better can you just swap them ? If not, would they let you have a "loaner" pen while they send it back to MB. While they seem to be good at solving some problems this appears to be beyond their expertise. After a while you will dread the idea of using this pen or even looking at it just by visualizing the problems you know are going to happen. Your mental and physical health is at stake.

BTW it doesn't sound if you really "extremely happy with your Francoise" pen. Kind of like whistling while going past the graveyard.

Edited by PS104

Hello everyone, thanks for the value feedback. I appreciate it all very much. Yes indeed my initial post title may not be so valid anymore. Granted. On the other hand, it writes not perfectly at all and certainly not as it should but I haven´t lost hope yet.

True, the writing experience is a drag and every morning it is disappointment. While picking up the Parker is a true joy, it really is. It bothers me a lot but luckily I don´t loose sleep over it. After all there are more important issues but it is true that it should´t be like this and it´s a waste.

I will go back to the store and ask them to send the pen to Montblanc, let´s hope they will be able to solve the issue. In wort case scenarios I can always try other nib masters like suggested in the post before also.

I appreciate all your feedback a lot. I will try to keep you all informed. This week it will be a bit hard to go to the store due to work but next week, maybe even next Saturday I will try to go back and try to persuade them to send it to MB. Hopefully they are still willing to help me, I always fear that they get tired of me but then again I do believe my problem is a valid one. Like said by Wilson, it is extremely personal. My wife thinks it writes well (for her).

Thanks.

Hopefully the nib is better visible on these pictures. I think that they have tried to adjust it a bit rough but I am not sure. I only know that the writing has not improved (enough).

Hope some one can judge this better than I can. I still feel that the Montblanc company should take a look at it also. Just for double checking.

Thanks.

Bingo! You have a problem... Your feed is cracked and misaligned. Do not attempt any repair. Take it back to the shop and scream warranty...

A lifelong FP user...