Extremely Happy With My New Limited Edition Montblanc Francoise I But...

Bigmacmagicmac

Hello everyone,

Happy to have found such a great resource on one of my favorite objects, fountain pens. I have been writing with my Parker Duofold for almost 25 years daily and I could´t love any pen more. At least that´s what I thought. Recently I had been looking for a writer´s edition Montblanc pen but then suddenly they also had in the same store a Francoise I....

OMG what a pen, what a weight, style, detail. Everything. It just was no comparison at all with the William Faulkner next to it. With all due respect the Faulkner was and is also amazing but (mainly because of the weight) still I was kinda blown away by the Francoise I.

BTW I have included the pictures of my beloved pens.

Anyway in the store I wrote endlessly with not only my Parker (to compare) but also both Montblanc pens. The Faulkner was clearly smoother, wetter and the ink just came out much more abundant and easier. The pen floated on air. The Francoise was less wet, less ink came out this was a little bit of a concern to me. Compared with my good old Parker the Faulkner really was almost similar.

BTW both had the F nib which was fine I think since the Parker also has a F nib and is ok for me so I was not inclined to switch to a M anyway.

Anyhow, still a bit doubtful I was so blown away but the Francoise I that I kind off neglected a bit that the Faulkner was the better writer (no joke intended since Mr. Faulker was writer). So decided to buy it.

Back home unfortunately the difference seemed even bigger this time between my Parker and the Montblanc. Now after three days, it gets a bit better but still I am hoping that the writing experience will become better or at least level the performance of my Duofold. I am a bit worried to say the least and not sure if it is normal. Mostly I write now on sheets from our printer since this paper tends to suit the pen the best for now (allows it to flow enough or maximum ink) my writer´s note bloc is impossible to write on still while my Parker has no trouble with that one at all.

Maybe some one has an advice for me. Maybe I need to flush the pen or give it some time?

Sounds strange but 25 years ago, I remember having the same problem when I just got the Duofold so maybe it´s me? I remember the first few weeks, even months the pen just seemed dry, stuttered in performance etc. Almost like what I am experiencing now. It is almost too weird to mention but this former experience just gives me some hope. Anyway maybe some one can reassure me or help me with some advice?

Still very happy though and overall I have this feeling of being extremely spoiled and blessed with or without pen by the way.

Thanks in advance to all of you.

post-128831-0-53640400-1458144530_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-01393200-1458144549_thumb.jpg

post-128831-0-28465900-1458144561_thumb.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bigmacmagicmac

• fromthecrowd

• rwilsonedn

• Bo Bo Olson

First, welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

I would first recommend patience. I've found over the years many pens need a day or two to fully work out any left over manufacturing oils and get pieces parts fully saturated and often a day or three to allow the writer to adapt to the pen.

If in a few days things are still not as you like, try first a wetter ink and if that still does not get you where you want ask the store to make it wetter. It's pretty easy to make pens wetter.

My Website

When I purchased my pen from a pen store (where I tried it out) they suggested I take it home and let the nib soak in cool water overnight - then flush it out before inking it up. Reason being it was used in the store with a different type of ink and it's best practice to clean it out to make sure there is no reaction between residue left from the demonstration ink.

Keep in mind I'm a rookie here but I would apply this to your new pen to see if that helps.

Good luck and congrats on your two beautiful pens!!

Hello Jar, and Mike,

Thanks for your replies. Yes, I will try to soak in water tonight and then flush out. Never hurts trying.

I am experimenting a bit, when dipping the nib in the ink jar, the result gets better so maybe the internal ink flow is not optimum yet so good reason to try and clean properly. I am confident that the results must get better in time but I will keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Mark

Well, I just filled my Francoise I again. Yesterday evening I cleaned it, flushed it and let it to dry for the night. Just now filled it up again but the first impression is still the same.

I am still not sure what to do. Possibly next week during the Easter Holiday I will return to the store. By the way, in my honest opinion the best store in Barcelona, possibly Spain for buying fountain pens. The service is really excellent and a few years back they really helped me out tremendously when I was unable to find a solution for a broken cap from the Duofold I have.

Really nice people and maybe they can help me out. Not sure either if there may be a solution in changing the nib or even maybe just adjusting it a bit. Not sure what the possibilities and options are. Then again I might just have to give it some time. Not sure.

Anyway, I keep on writing and hopefully it will solve itself. Any case I will continue to inform you.

Making pen wetter is really not difficult and so it's really unlikely anything more than about a minute, two fingers and two fingernails will be required.

My Website

Well I´ve been writing a bit more today and it seems the flushing and cleaning helped a little. At least that´s my impression at this point. The differences are small but it seems to flow a little bit better, bit wetter and improving the overall writing experience. Less effort, more hovering over the paper and the angle of writing is more forgiving now. I need to write mucho more the coming days but I truly think it has helped a little.

I am still confident that I will get to the desired result. In time and maybe with some help but this remains to been seen. I love the weight, the design, the feel, the beauty, style and grandeur. It makes me feel fantastic and blessed. I am honestly a very happy owner. Almost ashamed to admit how much I enjoy it but at least every time I use it I will be enjoying it.

Thanks again for all the advice and help. Just great that people take the time to help others.

I will keep you informed for sure.

Mark

By all means take the pen back to the store. From your description, you bought from a real pen store, not a MB boutique. Your store will know how to make the pen write just as you wish.

But before you do, it should be standard practice for any pen, from a $1 Chinese special to a MB LE, to flush the pen repeatedly, first about ten or 12 flushes with a mild detergent solution in water, then the same number with clean water, before you use it. You want to completely fill and then empty the pen on each flush. Soaking doesn't always do the trick. The problem, as jar points out, is that solvents, oils, and particles get stuck on the feed during manufacturing, and can work their way into the tiny ink channels and block them. If you don't flush the particles out, they can restrict the flow of ink. Most will come out eventually with repeated use of the pen, but it's a lot faster and more pleasant to flush them out before you begin to write.

You want to do this before you take the pen back to the store for adjustment. Otherwise they may adjust the pen to work acceptibly with a blocked feed, and then later when the feed unclogs you will need another adjustment.

ron

It it possible to adjust the nib yourself with information from this site. If you do not feel comfortable trying, the store can probably adjust it if the have a good pen technician. No reason to get a new nib for this type of problem. It will get better! With your passion for the pen and a little know how from FPN it will be sooner than later. :)

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Thanks Donor Pen, thanks also Antique.

I will first take the advice at heart from Donor Pen. Almost weekend so instead of only soaking, I will try to flush repeatedly with a mild detergent also and then water as you instructed. Just to make absolutely 100% sure that it is properly clean.

Otherwise I might visit the store next week also in addition. I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these matters. My wife thinks it I am exaggerating but with all due respect to her, she does´t really share my passion the same way. Crazy but I enjoy writing with a beautiful fountain pen that much that I want it to be perfect. Like my Duofold, the joy of this experience is to me overwhelming. I´m sure you will understand. Besides the Francoise I is too beautiful not to use on every single occasion and it would suit it if the writing experiences matches its beauty.

Thanks again, I will start with it tonight. Keep you posted!

Take your two thumbnails, put them under the two shoulders of the nib and press outwards slightly....gently. Two-three times for a second or two. That should widen the slit and make it wetter.

If you do too much reverse put the thumbs on the outside of the shoulders of the nib and press in.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Thanks Ancient Artifact, I will hold on your advice, maybe google some of it to see it more unclose and learn how exactly to do what you just advised me. I am a bit hesitant to do this myself but nonetheless I will look into is.

The issue is not severe or hopeless, in my opinion it must be the ink flow which possibly could be solved better by flushing and cleaning properly. If not it maybe just be the slightest widening of the nib or shoulders that might do the trick. I just cleaned out my wife´s Montblanc (have to check which one she actually has but it is the one with the nib that goes in and out when you screw the top of the pen). She did´t use it for a few months but now she was again enthusiastic since she saw me at it. So she asked me to clean and flush it yesterday which I did.

Filled it this morning and from the first touch on the paper, it wrote again like new. Nice wet strokes, no stuttering, fluid and effortlessly, really exactly how it should be and how I want mine to write also so its is possible. Yes, my wife does´t act as crazy as I do with hers but also has a Montblanc fountain pen with which she is quite happy also :) .

Anyway thanks again for all the help and concern.

After flushing and cleaning, pen is now drying. Can't wait to fill up tomorrow but honestly I don't expect too much from it and will definitely pay a visit to the store next week week. Let's see what tomorrow brings.

Back writing again and although it seemed to have helped a little, it occurs to me that it might be my imagination. Still I am not sure what to do. I will definitely go back to the shop next week, just to comment on it. Show them and see what they will tell me but I am not considering (yet) to adjust the nib. It is drier than my Duofold which is quite wet but not too dry either. Bit in between and maybe that´s not too bad either.

Maybe I will ask the store also if they have a different ink for me to use? I read a lot about how the ink can influence the flow also? Wetter ink does it actually exist? That might be a consideration also and definitely worth a try also? I now use the "standard" Montblanc ink they gave me when I bought the pen.The Royal Blue ink from Montblanc. Not sure if this ink classifies as a wet ink, normal or dry? Must look into that matter a bit more here on the fountain pen network. I alway consider buying black color, it´s actually my favorite but they did´t have black at the store when I bought it.

Anyway, keep experimenting and fiddling around!

Yes Virginia, wet inks do exist. The MB Royal Blue is moderately wet. You can try something like Waterman Florida Blue which is still wetter or Pelikan 4001 which are really dry inks. Generally I find blue inks usually wetter than black inks and blue-blacks drier.

But most any nib can be adjusted to be any range of wet or dry that you like. When you return to the store take your Duofold along as a control. Let them see the difference and tell them you would like the MB to be as wet as the Parker.

My Website

Hello Jar, thanks for the advice. Before experimenting with ink I will take your advice and return to the store. Maybe tomorrow or Tuesday, just to ventilate my concern. Show them and see what their feedback is. Based on that I prefer to wait and give it some time. I hope actually that they will tell me that my options are open and even after a while also, so that I am a bit reassured and can easily give it some more time. If they tell me that they are willing to help me in a later stage also if I continue to have my doubts, then at least I´m a bit more relaxed about it. Now I feel a bit stressed for time, regarding warranty etc. but frankly I´d prefer not doing anything at this moment yet and just be more patient and give it more time. Therefore if they can reassure me and assure met that even after some time they can still help me if I want, that would be the best.

As I mentioned before, the differences are minimal and not really severe but I just want it to be perfect. Curious to see what the people from the store will tell me. I will let you know.

Have you tried writing on different paper. Not all pens, or inks are equal on different brands of paper. Maybe try a different brand and see if that makes a difference.

Hello Sandy,

Thanks for your contribution. Yes indeed you are right and I tested on different types of paper. Not yet different types of ink though but the difference is clear between my old Duofold and the new Montblanc, also the difference is obvious compared to the Montblanc Boheme Doue of my wife. I think the latter is called that, it´s the one with the retractable nib. Writes lovely also, comparable to my Duofold. So unfortunately there is still a difference. Tomorrow I´ll return to the store and ask them advice. I´ll bring all pens, paper and show them what my point is, see what they´ll tell me.

Writing with the William Faulkner at the time I bought or decided for the Francois I was also a clear difference to admit. So there definitely is a difference, the question is how big of a difference? Something to take care off in some way? Maybe have the people from Montblanc take a look at the nib? Maybe adjusting it or even replacing? Not sure, hard to say. I prefer to give it more time and I´ll be more at ease if the people from the store and Montblanc will allow me this time also without any questions asked if maybe in a few months I still have the same doubts.

Hope they will be able to reassure me tomorrow.

Thanks!

Well, hopefully it is something easy to fix.

I had a pen which behaved in a similar manner. The ink flow was not as it should have been, so eventually I disassembled the nib, and feed, gave it a good clean - and now it is working better than ever. Whether it was the feed, or the nib not being fitted quite right, I don't know.

However, at the price you paid for the Mont Blanc, I'd get the shop to look at it as anything you do may invalidate any warranty that came with the pen. It may be a simple tweak, but let the shop/Mont Blanc deal with it.

Hello Vintage, you are right. I want to be reassured by the store/Montblanc. I think they should have a close look at it. At least I would expect that from them.

It is curious, I just had my wife test it. Along with the Duofold and her own pen Montblanc Boheme Doue model. I watched het writing and het opinion was completely different. She thinks the Duofold writes bad, scratches and is too light. Funny conclusion to me but interesting. Then she says the Boheme and the Francois I write similar but she thinks the Francoise I is clearly the better. Unbelievable but true. I saw het writing and the way the writing came on paper it concurs with her comments. Really strange, I think her Boheme writes perfect. However the Francois I to me isn´t anything close. Unbelievable how the writing experience can change between two people.

I plan to go back to the store anyhow. It bothers me and I hope to get some assistance and help with the matter. It seems irrelevant but to me it isn´t. If not today, probably tomorrow. Hope they can have a look at it.

Thanks again all of you for helping out!