Has Anybody Tried To Fabricate Or 3D-Print Parts? (Mark 1 Vacumatic Blind Cap Although Anything Else Also)

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Has anybody tried to fabricate, with or without a 3d printer, any parts? especially Parker 51 vacumatic blind cap parts? esp on the Mark 1?

I have a Blue 51 Mark 1 (vacumatic with the plastic plunger and all-plastic blind cap) that I think is a a demi because it was short, but the diameter is the same so i don't think it matters. I do not care if the color is the same (not like pink or a bad looking color though) or if it is even the same shape since it isn't a very intriguing or necessary shape anyways. The bottom lip has a chip that is about 90-120 degrees around the bottom but not deep, so it doesn't affect usability but is clearly visible by as breaking the continuity/seam and as a kinda "hole" in the side. I'm thinking it might be hard to 3d print usable threads, but I think the following things could be done.

1. Print something that vaguely resembles the cap and have an inset with the threads in another material like homemade casein (milk protein plastic), modeling clay, sugru (moldable silicone that stays set once cured), or a Thermoplastic like InstaMorph (plastic that can be reshaped as well as finished in several ways)

2. Have the whole thing one of the materials listed and hand shape it or even better make a mold of the current cap.

3. Have it 3d printed or one of the materials listed and fugure out a way to have it attached another way than threading. I haver some ideas but not really sure of the best way. I am thinking like some sort of small locking or snap mechanism or like locking friction threads.

If anything I could have like a friction-fit end cap with "arms" that run down the pen a little, and if the whole thing or at least the "arms" are made of the silicone sugru it would almost definitely grip if it is what I imagine and double as a roll-stop as I don't usually post even when the pen is short.

As long as it works, and doesn't cost much more than an actual blind cap or I can sell another to offset the cost I am probably going to make my own blind cap for at least the experience/fun/challenge/new techniques so if you are interested contact me.

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThegreatandpowerfullR

• FarmBoy

• titrisol

• bsenn

Top Posters In This Topic

And not only do I mean a 3d-pprinter I have cheap enough access to could not print usable threads I couldn't design matching threads. Also, I plan that any "hack" I use can be taken off without damage to the pen unless it works as well and looks better that a normal blind cap

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

A replacement blind cap would run about 10 US for a cedar 51. I would think replacement is the easy way to go.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

A replacement blind cap would run about 10 US for a cedar 51. I would think replacement is the easy way to go.

But not as much fun. You could find your pen in a dark room if you 3-D printed a cap in glow in the dark material: http://www.argylematerials.com/abs-p430-refill-glow-in-dark-volume-56-cu-in/

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

But not as much fun. You could find your pen in a dark room if you 3-D printed a cap in glow in the dark material: http://www.argylematerials.com/abs-p430-refill-glow-in-dark-volume-56-cu-in/

Brian

I'm doing more for the fun of making my own blind cap. I could buy a cap but it would be more interesting to make my own, plus the one I have still works so I don't really have to buy another cap anyways

• 5 months later...

That sounds like fun... could be printed in nylon or PET or ABS

I dont know how a blind cap looks like though If you design it, I will print it for you and ship it to you