The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Has Anybody Tried To Fabricate Or 3D-Print Parts? (Mark 1 Vacumatic Blind Cap Although Anything Else Also)

51 vacumatic fabricate 3d 3d printed blind cap mark 1 parts

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ThegreatandpowerfullR

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2016 - 18:52

Has anybody tried to fabricate, with or without a 3d printer, any parts? especially Parker 51 vacumatic blind cap parts? esp on the Mark 1?  

I have a Blue 51  Mark 1 (vacumatic with the plastic plunger and all-plastic blind cap) that I think is a a demi because it was short, but the diameter is the same so i don't think it matters. I do not care if the color is the same (not like pink or a bad looking color though) or if it is even the same shape since it isn't a very intriguing or necessary shape anyways. The bottom lip has a chip that is about 90-120 degrees around the bottom but not deep, so it doesn't affect usability but is clearly visible by as breaking the continuity/seam and as a kinda "hole" in the side. I'm thinking it might be hard to 3d print usable threads, but I think the following things could be done.  
1. Print something that vaguely resembles the cap and have an inset with the threads in another material like homemade casein (milk protein plastic), modeling clay, sugru (moldable silicone that stays set once cured), or a Thermoplastic like InstaMorph (plastic that can be reshaped as well as finished in several ways)  
2. Have the whole thing one of the materials listed and hand shape it or even better make a mold of the current cap.  
3. Have it 3d printed or one of the materials listed and fugure out a way to have it attached another way than threading. I haver some ideas but not really sure of the best way. I am thinking like some sort of small locking or snap mechanism or like locking friction threads.
If anything I could have like a friction-fit end cap with "arms" that run down the pen a little, and if the whole thing or at least the "arms" are made of the silicone sugru it would almost definitely grip if it is what I imagine and double as a roll-stop as I don't usually post even when the pen is short.  

As long as it works, and doesn't cost much more than an actual blind cap or I can sell another to offset the cost I am probably going to make my own blind cap for at least the experience/fun/challenge/new techniques so if you are interested contact me.

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

Sponsored Content

#2 ThegreatandpowerfullR

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 March 2016 - 18:57

And not only do I mean a 3d-pprinter I have cheap enough access to could not print usable threads I couldn't design matching threads. Also, I plan that any "hack" I use can be taken off without damage to the pen unless it works as well and looks better that a normal blind cap

If anybody wants to buy a FPR triveni, a waterman's crusader with a modified barrel, or faber castell pitt brush pens I have one just for you!

#3 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,001 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 07:37

A replacement blind cap would run about 10 US for a cedar 51.   I would think replacement is the easy way to go.

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#4 bsenn

bsenn

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2016 - 17:51

A replacement blind cap would run about 10 US for a cedar 51.   I would think replacement is the easy way to go.

But not as much fun.  You could find your pen in a dark room if you 3-D printed a cap in glow in the dark material:   http://www.argylemat...olume-56-cu-in/

Brian

One test is worth a thousand expert opinions.

#5 ThegreatandpowerfullR

ThegreatandpowerfullR

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 March 2016 - 20:59

But not as much fun.  You could find your pen in a dark room if you 3-D printed a cap in glow in the dark material:   http://www.argylemat...olume-56-cu-in/

Brian

I'm doing more for the fun of making my own blind cap. I could buy a cap but it would be more interesting to make my own, plus the one I have still works so I don't really have to buy another cap anyways

#6 titrisol

titrisol

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 August 2016 - 18:11

That sounds like fun... could be printed in nylon or PET or ABS

I dont know how a blind cap looks like though  If you design it, I will print it for you and ship it to you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 51, vacumatic, fabricate, 3d, 3d printed, blind cap, mark 1, parts

Sponsored Content

|