Noodler's Berning Red

white_lotus

OK, this ink may well be a bit controversial. The label alone probably violates the FPN discussion guidelines, so I know I'll be treading on thin ice. Hopefully the moderators will allow a little leeway here, as I'm mostly discussing the ink. I hope you appreciate the tongue-in-cheek commentary. Now where is my little red star and Mao jacket?

I personally find the label very funny. I found a very nice image from the PenChalet web site. I acted as a good anarchist and simply liberated it from a capitalist exploiter. So for all to see, who weren't able to get a bottle, here it is showing Great Leader Comrade Sanders vanquishing the Evil Capitalists and sending them to Hell.

fpn_1458059320__berning-red.jpg

I'm not sure of the reference "Bernacke did not bern the dollars fast enough?" since Janet Yellen has been Chair of the Federal Reserve since February 3, 2014. There is a YouTube video where Mr. Tardiff discusses the ink, but I just don't have that much patience. So to the ink, Comrade Brothers and Sisters!

I used the usual papers MvL=Mohawk via Linen, Hij=Hammermill 28 lb inkjet, TR=Tomoe River.

The ink is advertised as fast-drying so it can be used by lefties. I presume this means left-handed people, but the pun is probably intended. On the Hammermill paper, the ink did indeed dry very fast, just over one second. Fast. But on the Mohawk paper, it had a very normal drying time of about 10 seconds. And on the Hammermill paper there was some show-through and bleed-through even with normal writing. The Mohawk and Tomoe River papers did not exhibit this property.

So it seems like there might be a bit of a tradeoff with this ink between its dry-time and paper handling.

Initially I really disliked the look of this ink, it seemed too bright, too searing. But now that I look at the reviews, they seem fine. After all, red is my least favorite color. I personally like the look on the Mohawk and Tomoe River papers over the Hammermill inkjet paper, which seems lifeless to me. It looks fine in the photo, but it's less wonderful in person.

The ink is very water-resistant. It would be great for corrections and mark-up.

Now if you think that you will like this ink, I must give you the ultimate disappointment: this ink is unobtanium. It is totally, totally sold out. Hopefully, when Great Leader, Sun of the People, Comrade Sanders becomes President of the People's Republic of America, Mr. Tardiff can be gently persuaded to bring this ink back into production.

fpn_1458060299__img_4248.jpg

fpn_1458060337__img_4251.jpg

fpn_1458060416__img_4244.jpg

fpn_1458060529__img_4260.jpg

fpn_1458060461__img_4253.jpg

fpn_1458060556__img_4266.jpg

:)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• amberleadavis

• Cyber6

• jmccarty3

I've been waiting for a review of this ink, but I ended up buying a sample anyway before I found this!

I haven't tried a lot of red inks, since the color doesn't really appeal to me either, but I have to admit that I found this ink's name amusing... I honestly just want to buy a bottle for the label. :P

This ink is sold out? I just checked Goulet's website and it seems to be in stock!

I really love the color! I have a friend who would definitely appreciate a bottle of this for the humor factor. XD

I've been waiting for a review of this ink, but I ended up buying a sample anyway before I found this!

I haven't tried a lot of red inks, since the color doesn't really appeal to me either, but I have to admit that I found this ink's name amusing... I honestly just want to buy a bottle for the label. :P

This ink is sold out? I just checked Goulet's website and it seems to be in stock!

Thank you for your alert that this ink is indeed "in stock" @ Goulets. I just read your post & ordered a bottle. I do not really like red inks, don't care about dry times & am a right hander BUT the artwork is alone reason to purchase the ink! I plan to write with it in "me own little Red Book!"

Yes indeed, it is in stock at Goulet's. That's good news for many Comrades that were not able to get the ink originally. :)

I wasn't sure if this was going to be a one-time-only release like the Violet Vote '16, or become more generally available. So hopefully more shops will be restocked.

And in looking back at my reviews, I don't mind the color so much now. Just not used to seeing so much red ink all at once. <smiles>

It looks a tad orange on my screen. Do you have MB Corn Poppy for comparison?

Thanks for a very timely review..I was dying to see this ink in action.. :)

Edited by Cyber6

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Sorry, no MB Corn Poppy. But you'll get your chance with the real thing soon. ;)

Really considering getting a bottle of this for an old poli sci professor. But man, now I might have to get a bottle for myself as well.

So where's all the outcry and disdain for Nathan Tardif? We sure heard a lot of it when he came out with Brown 41. Or is this different?

"What? What's that? WHAT?!!! SPEAK UP, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!" - Ludwig van Beethoven.

I've let a lot of these bottled political commentaries slide over the years, but now I've bought my last bottle from this manufacturer. Having said that, your review is excellent as always.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

I couldn't resist ordering a bottle of this for the label, although I do like the color. Perhaps one day I might be able to sell it at a (dare I say it?) profit.

Pardon me, comrades, there's a knock at the door. It's been nice knowing you. ;)

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I've let a lot of these bottled political commentaries slide over the years, but now I've bought my last bottle from this manufacturer. Having said that, your review is excellent as always.

lol If you watch his video describing the ink you will learn it is much more of a joke than anything else. It's a fountain pen ink, adding a little spice doesn't hurt anything.

Comrades! Good news!

First, nighttime knock at door not Secret Police, but instead babushkas collecting for benefit of Veterans of Great Patriotic War. Not have heart to tell them all Veterans of Great Patriotic War dead now except for ones in Crimea that live to 130 year old.

Second, Berning Red ink arrive today by Glorious Soviet People's Post! Label on bottle is tribute to diligence of political officer overseeing capitalist running dog Natansky. Ink comes packed in style of evil West--decadent excess of blue plastic wrap must be opiate of the people!

Must go now. Is time for practice of singing Internationale for May Day. Dos vedanya, Tovarisch.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

This stuff works great on my el cheapo note pads. I can't wait to use it for all the condolence notes I'll have to send out in November to my Republican friends.

Life is for the Birds

Comrades! Good news!

First, nighttime knock at door not Secret Police, but instead babushkas collecting for benefit of Veterans of Great Patriotic War. Not have heart to tell them all Veterans of Great Patriotic War dead now except for ones in Crimea that live to 130 year old.

I woke up with a headache, and got to work to find that a user had been hit by a cryptolocker variant, necessitating restoring a very important shared drive from a snapshot; the snapshot restoration had a weird hiccup, resulting in a colleague and me spending a couple of hours shuffling files around by hand to get everything squared away. It was, in short, a long, tense, and generally unpleasant day. Reading this made it quite a lot better, so thank you.

And just so folks know, both Goulet and Anderson Pens have it in stock. Maybe other places too, but those are the two I did a quick check on.