Eye Dropper ?

I have recently acquired an eye dropper marked as The "SWAN" Pen. Mabie Todd & Co LTD. Made in England.

It has an upper and lower feed, I have managed to unscrew the sections with a little heat.

The inner feed has a twisted wire pushed into the top of the feed.

On a dip test the nib writes smoothly with some flex. However the underside of the nib is very black with old ink residue.

Unfortunately the pen came without a cap.(slip on type)

There are no markings too indicate the model.

It looks like the link below.

So questions, leave the nib and feed well alone and use as it is.

And how to get a new pen top?

Would it be possible to make a top from a rod of plastic etc.

I'm not a collector but would like to use the pen if only from writing from the home.

Link.

http://i.imgur.com/H7gTMGp.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Goudy

• Flybar

• northlodge

• Greenie

Top Posters In This Topic

In the image there is a cap.

Yay, problem solved! Oh wait, I think Flybar is saying that his pen looks similar to the one in the picture. The image is definitely an early Swan - you can even make out "The Swan Pen" on the barrel.

Soaking the nib and feed in pen flush ought to loosen up the dried ink. Don't soak the outside of the section or the barrel, though, as that may cause discolouration.

Finding a cap may be a matter of lurking on eBay looking for a cheap replacement. There seem to be a lot of these lovely old early Swan eyedroppers around.

Edit: I just noticed that Flybar's image is actually my own pen that I posted a long time ago in another thread! So yes, definitely a Swan.

Edited by Goudy

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Thank you for replies. Yes I did use your photo Goudy.

If I decide to try and take the nib and feed out, do they come out the

rear or pull out from the front?

The nib is black with old ink and I don't think flushing or soaking will clean it.

Is ammonia available as a "pure" chemical. All I seem too find are commercial cleaning

fluids for general household cleaning.

Regards

To disassemble, start by pulling out the twisted wire from the rear of the feed. It's just wedged in. Its purpose, according to the patents, is to "agitate" the ink. It's not really needed with modern inks but it's nice to have for completeness.

The over-under feed also pulls out from the rear of the section. The nib can then be removed from the front. It may be useful to make a pencil mark on the section corresponding to the top of the nib, so that you can line it up in the same position when you reassemble.

If there's a lot of dried ink preventing the feed from coming out easily, try to get some water in there to dissolve it. For really stubborn ink I use diluted or even neat Rapido-eze pen cleaner. Avoid soaking the outside of the hard rubber.

There are more detailed disassembly instructions here: http://goodwriterspens.com/2012/07/05/disassembling-a-mabie-todd-swan-eyedropper-filler/

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Edited by Goudy

http://i.imgur.com/utQ9Ep9.jpg

Hi

I believe there are a small number of UK repairers who would make a replacement cap, but the cheaper option (as already suggested) would be to watch for a damaged pen on ebay. With a cap, but without a nib, they would likely be reasonably cheap.

It is not difficult to remove the nib to clean it, but without tools and experience there is a risk of causing damage (particularly to the over under feed) Something like a basting pump or large syringe and forcing water from below the nib might be sufficient to clean it.

Try to avoid water on the hard rubber, it will discolour the pen; and whilst ammonia is easy to come across in a hardware store (or even a supermarket) I would be cautious about using it on this pen..

I would advise keeping ammonia away from old hard rubber pens. It will likely discolor the pen very quickly. For Celluloid or other pen uses, I find ammonia in gallon sizes only, and it is located near the other scented, etc ammonia based cleaners at the supermarket. It is usually not obvious. Sometimes I have to ask for help, and even then, they try to sell me the lemon scented stuff.

Also avoid getting water on the outside of old hard rubber pens. This can also cause fading, but less consistently so.

I find that the sections and feeds do just find with a good soak in water - no harm at all, and loosens stuff up well. There is some thought that the lackof sun exposure to the section keeps it from the effects of water. I have seen faded sections, so it is not foolproof, but I usually just toss my sections with the nib and feed in my ultrasonic cleaner with water and I do fine. Rapido-Eze does a good job of dislodging old ink, and I have not had this product discolor any of my early eyedropper hard rubber pens.

You can also just flush under pressure - as Northlodge said. Google Bulb Syringe - the blue rubber things are inexpensive and found at baby stores. Cut the tip off to make it a size that fits the section threads just a little snug for a good seal. And then flush with water, or rapido-eze in water. There is a good chance you won't have to remove the nib at all.

Edited by Greenie

I have and have had a number of Swan eye-droppers, ranging from a Mabie Todd & Bard 3013 that I still have, and a No 3 plug filler (ditto) right up to a 1930s transparent barrel model (ditto).

I worked for some time on a 1500, which I presume yours is - the 100 is fairly similar.

Here it is stripped:

fpn_1457472959__my_1500__bits.jpg

The problem I have always had with these eye droppers is to get them to work properly after i have dismantled and cleaned them. It seems to me that the setting of the feed and nib in the section are really critical - more so than on a conventional pen. I had a load of fiddleing to do before the 1500 worked properly - and then I sold it. At the moment I have a Chatelaine and a couple of 100s that need to be "looked at"!

Note that the set of the feed is important and may be adjusted with the judicious use of heat; I use a 2000W hair-dryer!

Cob

Edited by Cob

fpn_1428963683__6s.jpg “The pen of the British Empire” fpn_1423349537__swan_sign_is.jpg

I have and have had a number of Swan eye-droppers, ranging from a Mabie Todd & Bard 3013 that I still have, and a No 3 plug filler (ditto) right up to a 1930s transparent barrel model (ditto).

I worked for some time on a 1500, which I presume yours is - the 100 is fairly similar.

Here it is stripped:

fpn_1457472959__my_1500__bits.jpg

The problem I have always had with these eye droppers is to get them to work properly after i have dismantled and cleaned them. It seems to me that the setting of the feed and nib in the section are really critical - more so than on a conventional pen. I had a load of fiddleing to do before the 1500 worked properly - and then I sold it. At the moment I have a Chatelaine and a couple of 100s that need to be "looked at"!

Note that the set of the feed is important and may be adjusted with the judicious use of heat; I use a 2000W hair-dryer!

Cob

If you could please elaborate, I have two myself (a fine and a medium, but one with bands and one without, the caps are also different sizes) and I love them. Truly a metal brush, but I have had difficulty finding the best orientation of the feed, twisted wire, and nib to prevent a not so slow continuous line of drops.