The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Have You Seen The New Ink Miser Inkwells?

noodlers pen cleaning inkwell

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 Sasha Royale

Sasha Royale

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,444 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 11:10

See the distance of the slot from the mouth of the InkMiser ?   In an inverted bottle, THAT is the minimum ink depth required to reach the slot and fill the "funnel".  Less than THAT, and you are back to pouring ink out of the bottle.  

I'd bet against using the last drops !   I don't see that as the useful purpose of InkMiser.  

Ever lower your pen into a bottle of Noodler's, not knowing how deep to go ?  Are you submerging the nib, nib and feed, entire section, or half the pen barrel ?   I doubt that InkMiser  will access the last drops of ink.  I believe that InkMieser will let you keep your pen at the top of the bottle, when filling.  A worthy solution !  

I really miss the Sheaffer Script ink bottles with the glass well at the bottle mouth.  

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn. 
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen: 
Verweile doch, du bist so schön ! 

Sponsored Content

#22 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,747 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 15:33

@dcwaites -- :lticaptd: Too funny!

@ Sasha Royale -- I've run across a few vintage bottles of Skrip inks and completely agree -- the bottles are awesome (still making up my mind about some of the ink colors, although Skrip Peacock is AMAZING, and the vintage Skrip Brown -- don't remember if it's washable or permanent -- is quite nice).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#23 LuxuryBrands

LuxuryBrands

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 17:16

A minor correction to the YouTube video, the website address is www.luxurybrandsusa.com, not www.luxurybrands.com.  

#24 kb8dnr

kb8dnr

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 17:56

Reminds me of the funnel fill :-)

#25 Shannon

Shannon

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 March 2016 - 20:24

Quick newbie question:

In the video the clean-fingered woman pumps the cartridge a few times; fills & empties, fills & empties.  Is that the best way to fill a pen?  I've always been hesitant to empty a pen (even a scrupulously clean one) back into the ink.

Thanks!

Ink samples to trade:   Blackstone Blue, Chesterfield  Antique Crimson, Chesterfield  Antique Jade, Chesterfield  Antique Orchid, Chesterfield  Antique Raspberry, Chesterfield  Antique Raven, Chesterfield  Antique Walnut, Chesterfield  Antique Yankee, Chesterfield  Night Sapphire, Cross Blue, Diamine Ancient Copper, Diamine Bilberry, Diamine Blue Black, Diamine Damson, Diamine Indigo, Diamine Oxblood, Diamine Purple Pazzazz, Edelstein Amber, J. Herbin Emerald de Chivor, J. Herbin Lie de The, J. Herbin Rouge Hematite, J. Herbin Storm Grey, Levenger Always Greener, Levenger Amethyst, Levenger Blue Bahama, Levenger Cardinal Red, Levenger Cobalt Blue, Levenger Cocoa, Levenger Fireball, Levenger Gemstone Green, Levenger Pinkly, Levenger Raven Black, Levenger Skies of Blue, Levenger Smokey, Montblanc Black  , Montblanc Montblanc for BMW, Noodler's Bay State Blue, Parker Quink, Pilot Blue, Sailor  Souten, Sailor  Waka-Uguisu

Looking for: surprise me!

#26 amberleadavis

amberleadavis

Inky! En-Abe-Lawyer

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 20:45

I personally don't empty back into the bottle.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Want to get a special letter / gift from me, then create a Ghostly Avatar  

Ink comparisons:  The Great PPS Comparison  366 Inks in 2016

Check out inks sorted by color:  Blue Purple Brown  Red Green Dark Green Orange Black  Pinks  Yellows  Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

#27 TheGreatRoe

TheGreatRoe

Antique

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
  • Location:Alpha Quadrant, Sector 001, Earth, USA, North Carolina, Hillsborough
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 20:51

Quick newbie question:

In the video the clean-fingered woman pumps the cartridge a few times; fills & empties, fills & empties.  Is that the best way to fill a pen?  I've always been hesitant to empty a pen (even a scrupulously clean one) back into the ink.

Thanks!

It may not be the textbook way to do things, but if I have a pen that is thoroughly clean and I'm staying within the same brand (or compatible subbrand if it's Noodler's), if I'm using a piston I'll fill-expel-fill, so as to get a full fill.

"The Great Roe is a mythological beast with the head of a lion and the body of a lion, but not the same lion."

My Personal Blog  |  My Creative Writing Blog  |  My Heraldry Designs

crestdr.png?w=100

#28 dcwaites

dcwaites

DavidW

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,001 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 March 2016 - 21:57

See the distance of the slot from the mouth of the InkMiser ?   In an inverted bottle, THAT is the minimum ink depth required to reach the slot and fill the "funnel".  Less than THAT, and you are back to pouring ink out of the bottle.  

I'd bet against using the last drops !   I don't see that as the useful purpose of InkMiser.  

Ever lower your pen into a bottle of Noodler's, not knowing how deep to go ?  Are you submerging the nib, nib and feed, entire section, or half the pen barrel ?   I doubt that InkMiser  will access the last drops of ink.  I believe that InkMieser will let you keep your pen at the top of the bottle, when filling.  A worthy solution !  

I really miss the Sheaffer Script ink bottles with the glass well at the bottle mouth.  

This is a grab from one of the Youtube videos

fpn_1457560390__ink_miser.jpg

On the filling inserts on the Parker Penman bottles, the slot is much closer to the flange, and so you would get more ink. I would suggest moving that slot closer to the flange and then perhaps making the cone a bit shorter. 

And, perhaps, selling in bulk (5 or 10) for a reduced price.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

#29 Arthur's Mom

Arthur's Mom

I see you.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location:Approximately 4' back from my computer and screen, sitting in an overstuffed comfy chair.
  • Flag:

Posted 11 March 2016 - 19:33

Wow, that website hasn't been updated in 20 months, and the YouTube channel looks like it's 3 days old.  

That seems about right, as Martha announced on their social media account, that Dick had passed away from Pancreatitis in February 2015, one would assume he was not well enough to update the Luxury Brands LLC web sight for sometime before that.
As far as a YouTube account being open recently, Dick had never opened one for Luxury Brands. It would be safe to assume the new operators, John and Carol are now tasked with bringing the company into the YouTube arena.

✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do." *Benjamin Franklin
"Half a truth is often a great lie." *Benjamin Franklin
"There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." 
*William James

✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒✑✒

#30 Resolute

Resolute

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 March 2016 - 16:59

Subscribed to see how well this works.  Like others, I would have preferred this to be clear.  I like being able to see just how full things get, and increases my enjoyment of the ink colors :)

#31 fiberdrunk

fiberdrunk

Fibery and Inky Goodness

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,749 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 March 2016 - 20:25

Here is the YouTube video of this product;

I ordered a couple from Ipenstore and they arrived today.  Brilliant idea!  This is a less messy (and easier) way than filling from vials.

Edited by fiberdrunk, 21 March 2016 - 22:45.

Find my homemade ink recipes on my Flickr page here.

"I don't wait for inspiration; inspiration waits for me." --Akiane Kramarik

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: noodlers, pen cleaning, inkwell

Sponsored Content

|