Blue / Black - Pelikan 4001

visvamitra

The 4001 ink is a well-established brand by Pelikan from the very first beginning of the company. It was first mentioned in a price-list from 1897 and proved its worth within all the years. Ink 4001 was registered as a number only, during years there was plenty of colors on the market. However in recent years the line didn't change at all. Happily Pelikan decided to invest not only in Edelstein line but also in 4001 (much cheaper) line and introduced new ink (Dark Green) in january 2016. You may find it interesting that Pelikan 4001 are the only inks that can be bought practically in every B&M store in Poland.

At the moment the line consists of

1. Blue - Black
  2. Brilliant Black
  3. Brilliant Brown
  4. Brilliant Green
  5. Brilliant Red
  6. Dark Green
  7. Pink (cartridges only)
  8. Royal Blue
  9. Turquoise
  10. Violet

Blue Black is a dry writing ink, almost as dry as Lamy Blue. This ink demonstrates a very low level of feathering, show-though, and bleed through but it doesn't help - unless you use very wet pen the line will be pale and boring.

fpn_1457370447__blueblack_4001_is.jpg

Drops of ink on kitchen towel

fpn_1457370530__blueblack_4001_rk.jpg

Software ID

fpn_1457370474__blueblack_4001_leuchttur

Tomoe River, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1457370500__blueblack_4001_tomoe_1.j

fpn_1457370507__turquoise_4001_tomoe_2.j

fpn_1457370515__blueblack_4001_tomoe_3.j

Leuchtturm 1917, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1457370459__blueblack_4001_leuchttur

fpn_1457370466__blueblack_4001_leuchttur

fpn_1457370481__blueblack_4001_leuchttur

Rhodia Dotpad, Kaweco Classic Sport, B

fpn_1457370490__blueblack_4001_rhodia_1.

Comparison

fpn_1457370436__blueblack_4001_comp.jpg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Good Captain

• Tas

• lapis

• visvamitra

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice review and great comparisons as usual. I like it most where you state that it looks boring unless we use a wet pen. I also use a good B or even better a BB nib, otherwise I see only a faint blue-grey, much to the Captain's dismay.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

A great, great ink: not in fashion, but never out of style.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

A great, great ink: not in fashion, but never out of style.

Nicely put. Having had a disappointing rogue bottle, I'm so glad I gave it a second try.

Nice review as ever, visvamitra; you have an amazing ability to pic comparison inks that I've never heard of and so end up expanding my knowledge in quite a different direction from where I'd expected to go.

Nicely put. Having had a disappointing rogue bottle, I'm so glad I gave it a second try.

Nice review as ever, visvamitra; you have an amazing ability to pic comparison inks that I've never heard of and so end up expanding my knowledge in quite a different direction from where I'd expected to go.

I too must have a rogue bottle. Never liked it from day 1 but I'll take your advice and seeing how lovely visvamitra makes this look will buy another in the future.

Thanks visvamitra.

Nice review and great comparisons as usual. I like it most where you state that it looks boring unless we use a wet pen. I also use a good B or even better a BB nib, otherwise I see only a faint blue-grey, much to the Captain's dismay.

Mike

You knew I'd be here soon, didn't you...?

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

As most will know - probably my favourite ink of all time. Never lets me down and I don't even care whether it is blue at times, or not.

If Carlsberg made a blue-black ink, their's would probably be the second-best blue-black ink in the world.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Hi,

Or Twinings?

P4BlBk resides above the clouds of my ink shelves.

​When you're out of P4BlBk, you're out of ink.

Bye,

S1

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

​When you're out of P4BlBk, you're out of ink.

That's why we always have a case or two of Carlsberg lying around.

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

White hair alert on the drop towel scan !!!!

Is that a cat/dog? or you are just getting more vintage Vis?? :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

White hair alert on the drop towel scan !!!!

Is that a cat/dog? or you are just getting more vintage Vis?? :lol:

C.

You should work for NCIS Cyber6 ! B)

That's why we always have a case or two of Carlsberg lying around.

After kissing the elephant it may well be that it is you who is lying around. :)

Edited by Sandy1

The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.

There may be drier inks around than 4001 B/B, but I haven't met one. I do like the color.

The comparisons are interesting. Bosphore from L'Artisan Pastellier and Midnight Blue from Graf von Faber Castell look very similar to 4001.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Just bought 3 bottles from Pendemonium Pens. Great price. Sold out in six hours.

Happy customer, Pete

There are a thousand thoughts lying within a man

that he does not know until he takes up his pen to write.

Thackeray

Nice review, thank you.

Pelikan BB is one of my favorites in the category and I appreciate having a dry ink available. I thought was kind of boring at first, but its behavior won my heart.