Danitrio Genkai Vs. Namiki Emperor Urushi

beeth23

Curious if anyone owns both the Danitrio Genkai and the Namiki Emperor... if so, what are your thoughts on comparative performance etc?

For starters, based on nibs.com, the two pens seem to have exact same dimensions...

thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• Fatalpotato

• Mew

• gerigo

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The two pens can be bought with different decorations and of course prices.I have both pens but only use de Dani

because it fills more confortable to write with it. The Namiki has Maki-e decoration and I think is more prone to have user marks.Both have high quality.

Pulled the trigger on the Namiki Emperor Vermilion (pictured on left).

Compared with the Danitrio Genkai....

Here are the nibs... might do an in depth comparison later

post-128518-0-62975800-1458167030_thumb.jpeg

Namiki uses the term emperor in reference to the maki-e pens with the #50 nib and the eye dropper filling system. The urushi pen as above are "lacquer vermillion 50" on their site. However, the term emperor is commonly used by folks here for the pens with the #50, regardless of maki-e or not.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Congratulations on your new acquisition. I bought the same pen in FM nib a few weeks ago and have been using it regularly.

The girth of the section on the Genkai seems a lot more than emperor. Pity that it has a smaller nib. I am quite comfortable with emperor/urushi 50 but it makes me think that why do all the other pens even exist. Why is Custom Heritage 912 a pen? :P

Namiki uses the term emperor in reference to the maki-e pens with the #50 nib and the eye dropper filling system. The urushi pen as above are "lacquer vermillion 50" on their site. However, the term emperor is commonly used by folks here for the pens with the #50, regardless of maki-e or not.

Is is not the emperor actually, just that everyone call it one because of the same nib as the actual emperor sans the 2-tone nib. It was called the emperor earlier when it was released for the first time back in 1930's. I don't know whether it was again termed as emperor in 1985 relaunch or not. Maybe it was recent? Edited by Mew

Is is not the emperor actually, just that everyone call it one because of the same nib as the actual emperor sans the 2-tone nib. It was called the emperor earlier when it was released for the first time back in 1930's. I don't know whether it was again termed as emperor in 1985 relaunch or not. Maybe it was recent?

Isn't that what I said? Confused by your comment.

Namiki still uses emperor as the term for their expensive maki-e pens with the #50 nib. You can see this on their website even today. Urushi pens with that nib size do not use that term officially.

Isn't that what I said? Confused by your comment.

Namiki still uses emperor as the term for their expensive maki-e pens with the #50 nib. You can see this on their website even today. Urushi pens with that nib size do not use that term officially.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you in some way. Probably did not read it correctly. Sorry again for the confusion.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood you in some way. Probably did not read it correctly. Sorry again for the confusion.

No problem at all. I was confused not offended. We are all trying to get to the point of knowing more. Thanks for letting me know.

The Namiki nib is a monster. Wow. How does it feel to write with?

it feels simply superb.

I agree with one of the posters above, after using this pen for a while, one feels why the other pens exist and must you chase more pens?

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

The Namiki Vermillion with the # 50 Nib is a great pen, The nib is magnificent. It is huge pen though.If a person likes large and I ean large pens, and I did, this is a winner....

• 2 years later...

Searching through all these old threads one wonders if there are enough topics on urushi pens and how they feel to write with(especially in comparison to each other) . Who knows I might be the one to write sth in this regard maybe :)

Edited by Fatalpotato

Those two pens are very different in the hand and in writing. But which is better comes to personal preferences as both are quality instruments.

I like the looks of the Namiki #50 better, but the Genkai is a pen I prefer for writing. You can also get a lot more interesting finishes on the Danitrio.

Those two pens are very different in the hand and in writing. But which is better comes to personal preferences as both are quality instruments.

I like the looks of the Namiki #50 better, but the Genkai is a pen I prefer for writing. You can also get a lot more interesting finishes on the Danitrio.

I was wondering how is the 50# nib is similar to anything else in your collection in feeling(feedback, softness, flow etc.) as danitrio #8 is more comparable to other nibs due to common size and origin. Also it would be a nice addition if you could compare emperor to mikado in terms of writing ergonomics(I very much agree with you that preferences are highly subjective) as I enjoy my mikados feeling in my hand, and wondering if something like a genkai would be more similar to it or the plain urushi #50 namiki?

Of the 2 pens, I find the Namiki Emperor hands down the better pen.

It has a larger nib, the eye dropper tolerance made to an in-human level, and the pen made to a machined level of tolerance just nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the nib is amazing to write with.

I have 2 Genkais. They exhibit of all the same qualities of my handmade pens. Beautifully made but it's very evident they are handmade because tolerances aren't as tight. Things don't match up as well. The nibs are large no. 8 nibs but nothing compared with the no. 50 Emperor. They are also soft which makes them very prone to babies bottom which all my pens exhibit. They require tuning before they can be used. All for a pen that's more expensive than the Emperor? I guess if you need reminders of the hand made nature of your pens, then the Danitrio is the way to go.

Of the 2 pens, I find the Namiki Emperor hands down the better pen.

It has a larger nib, the eye dropper tolerance made to an in-human level, and the pen made to a machined level of tolerance just nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the nib is amazing to write with.

I have 2 Genkais. They exhibit of all the same qualities of my handmade pens. Beautifully made but it's very evident they are handmade because tolerances aren't as tight. Things don't match up as well. The nibs are large no. 8 nibs but nothing compared with the no. 50 Emperor. They are also soft which makes them very prone to babies bottom which all my pens exhibit. They require tuning before they can be used. All for a pen that's more expensive than the Emperor? I guess if you need reminders of the hand made nature of your pens, then the Danitrio is the way to go.

How would you describe the ''amazingness'' of the #50 nib? Even if it's subpar, I would like to buy this pen due to its unique body&nib size. The positives of the pen only makes me drool more :). Btw, I own only one danitrio a mikado in plain urushi, and would agree it is easier to understand its handmade say, compared to my urushi kop, but I count this as a positive, not a negative. Depends on what you expect from pens I guess.