Dc Pen Show Dates?

RonLyke

I very nearly succumbed to Sarj's gorgeous vintage Onoto. The nib was too soft for my hard pressing hand though, and I regretfully put it back. <sigh> Sarj always has an awesome group of pens!

Self restraint indeed :)

Did you pick up envy thing else instead? <nosy emoticon>

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• saskia_madding

• jmccarty3

• C8zzz4pen

• Earthdawn

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, no. I bought ink - Lamy Dark Lilac, 3 x KWZ inks, and that's it. It was the first year I got a table to sell my stationery, so I actually didn't have much time to browse the show myself. I really didn't appreciate that, so next year I'm going, but not getting a table. :P

Hello all,

My wife & I had a great time at the DC pen supershow. I asked several vendors about sales and was told that business was great on Saturday, and pretty good on Friday & Sunday. Generally speaking, we had no problem visiting various tables with the exception of Franklin-Christoph. The Franklin table tended to be packed with prospective buyers.

I threw away my shopping list, shopping for bargains instead, and came up with a few good deals.

Sheaffer's Triumph in carmine. It was sold to me "needing to be restored", and was priced accordingly. Later it was determined that it filled very well indeed.

Bexley 5th anniversary pen with a 14k nib. Some ebonite oxidation is present, but it is cleaning up nicely.

Cartier black composite fountain pen with gold finish (couldn't they give this a better name?). It's a very nice and understated pen. To me, Cartier is associated with high-end jewelry and finding this at the show was a pleasant surprise. This pen is very nice, indeed.

Bexley Gaston's Special Reserve with a 14K nib and a 10k gold clip, new old stock. I had some reservations about the appearance of the rather large cap band, but the material in the pen is beautiful and it is a very nice writer. The people at Vanness were great to deal with and even had king cake at their tables on Sunday.

My wife came away with other nice pens as well (Visconti Opera, Omas Europa, Signum, and a desirable Sheaffer Targa).

After attending this show, we usually geek out for a couple of days while we clean, ink, write with, and admire our purchases. This year was no exception, and we have our booty (as well as other pens from previous purchases) strewn around the dining room.

For those who attended the show, I hope you enjoyed it as much as we did.

Regards,

Craig

Actually, no. I bought ink - Lamy Dark Lilac, 3 x KWZ inks, and that's it. It was the first year I got a table to sell my stationery, so I actually didn't have much time to browse the show myself. I really didn't appreciate that, so next year I'm going, but not getting a table. :P

Oh! Now I know who you are! We chatted a bit, and then I brought my wife over and we bought 3 packs of your stationery. I can't wait to write on them - and now I need to get Bioshock based on your recommendation :P

This year's damage from the DC Show, not including ink, notebooks, etc.:

1. OMAS Paragon (new style) in Arco Brown, fine nib, purchased from Sarj Minhas 5 minutes after walking into the show on Thursday. Can't believe I blew so much of my budget so quickly, but I'd been looking for one of these. I already have a gorgeous Ogiva in this celluloid, and it will be hard to choose between them. Sarj always has such a magnificent collection, and I dare anyone to see it all without finding something they can't resist.

2. Franklin-Christoph No. 10 in Smoke and Cinnamaroon, with 14k Masuyama ground medium cursive italic. I bought this pen mostly for the nib, after having played with all the F-C demonstrator nibs at previous shows. The nib did not disappoint--it's very smooth, with a lot of character.

3. Conway-Stewart Churchill (NOS made in 2014) in the striking Yellow Swirl pattern with a fine nib, purchased from Daniel Smith (the NibSmith) on Friday.

4. Waterman's 52 with a fine flexible nib and matching pencil, in marvelous condition, from Cliff Harrington on Saturday. Cliff always seems to have something special for me.

5. On Sunday, I couldn't resist going back to Sarj's table, where I found an Aurora red anniversary Optima, a Montegrappa 1940 Extra in Bamboo, and a Parker oversize Vacumatic in blue with gold furniture and a fine nib, all of which were in impeccable condition. I could only get one, so I chose the Vac, already having bought one new Italian pen during the show.

I'm very happy with my haul, and with the nib adjustment work I had done on several pens by Mike Masuyama and Richard Binder. I'm looking forward to the Dallas Show, although I wish it weren't so soon after the DC show. My bank account needs time to recover.

Sorry I didn't get to meet you. Looks like you came out with a great haul!

Our haul this year:

• Franklin Christoph Pocket 66 in Antique Glass - my wife got a Fine Italic if I'm not mistaken.
  • Franklin Christoph Pocket 66 in a garnet swirl color - I got Fine Italic as well. Gold for this and the other FC.
  • Edison Glenmont in Unicorn Barf - this one was for my wife (though I may have to steal it). I can't remember what nib she got
  • Vintage beauty with a super smooth steel nib - I think it's still packed away. I need to find it.
  • Two vintage pocket watches - I've been wanting a decent pocket watch that I'm not afraid to take out and use, so these are perfect
  • Callifolio Andrinople - one of Ana Reinert's faves, which I only learned when she rung us up. Lisa at Vanness is awesome!
  • Callifolio Inti
  • Noodler's Greune Cactus
  • Akkerman Hofkwartier Groen - #28
  • 3 packs of Kind Words Stationery - these are so awesome!!
  • Rhodia webbie for my wife's first bullet journal
  • A couple Ink Journals
  • Fountain Pen Day shirts (2), hat, and swag!

It was definitely awesome being able to go for three days. I can't wait until next year!

Hi all!

I was at the DC show on Saturday and had a wonderful time. I'd seen the Franklin Christof table at past shows and passed by the crowd. But this time I got to the show early enough to snag a bottle green 66 with a brushed metal section. Just a beautiful pen. I tested as many of the nib testers as possible, and finally settled on a medium SIG nib which Scott smoothed for me. I also bought a bottle of Spanish Blue ink from FC (used to eyedropper the 66), a bottle of KWZ ink, and a bottle of Kobe ink.

All of this was after promising myself I wouldn't spend a penny. Still, not too bad considering, I came pretty close to buying a Classic pen from Lambrou pens. It just wasn't in my budget. Fortunately I left my credit cards at home. It was a gorgeous pen. Maybe next year.

In addition to seeing many pens "in real life" that I've longed to see--the aforementioned Classic pen, Danitrios, a Namiki Nightline, Classic pens--I also enjoyed learning a lot about vintage pens, mostly Pelikans, from the many dealers and collectors. The show was busy on Saturday, but the energy was fantastic.

Must be tough having to stick by your table. Next year you will have to hire an assistant to do the sales whilst you just pop back every hour to raid the till for fountain pen vouchers (a.k.a dollars!) :D

Did anyone attend a meeting at the show on Friday about managing a fountain pen collection? I did not find out about it until afterward, and would like to hear about it from anyone who was there. There was some mention of an update to the Fountain Pen Inventory software that's available here on the FPN site.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Did anyone attend a meeting at the show on Friday about managing a fountain pen collection? I did not find out about it until afterward, and would like to hear about it from anyone who was there. There was some mention of an update to the Fountain Pen Inventory software that's available here on the FPN site.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there. But coincidentally, Joshua just released a review of a nice and easy to use software for this purpose in his site (Pelikan's Perch).

I was glad to have met a few of you at the show, I managed to add a couple of Carter's pens to my collection as well as a few projects. The show was busy on Saturday, a great sign for any fountain pen show. I talked to a lot of newer collectors about vintage pens. For any newer collector, especially one who is dipping their toe in the vintage pen world you can never ask too many questions. Hopefully I was able to educate a few newer collectors and will see them at future pen shows!

Pearce.

My pen haul left to right:

post-113089-0-30390400-1471047203_thumb.jpg

1. Wahl Eversharp Sterling pencil

2. Waterman Hundred Year pen

3. Wahl Eversharp Amethyst Shell Doric pencil to match my pen. (I never thought I'd find one.)

4. Mabie Todd Swan pen--no clip

5. Parker 51 gold filled set 1950

6. Conway Stewart 58 set (Bought at the auction)

7. Garnet shell Doric set

8. Parker 75 Ciselle pencil to match my FP and BP

....and a bottle of Aurora Blue to play with my pens in the hotel room.

I've got dibs on another Hundred Year pen after it's been fixed.

Good show.

My pen haul left to right:

attachicon.gifPen Haul.jpg

1. Wahl Eversharp Sterling pencil

2. Waterman Hundred Year pen

3. Wahl Eversharp Amethyst Shell Doric pencil to match my pen. (I never thought I'd find one.)

4. Mabie Todd Swan pen--no clip

5. Parker 51 gold filled set 1950

6. Conway Stewart 58 set (Bought at the auction)

7. Garnet shell Doric set

8. Parker 75 Ciselle pencil to match my FP and BP

....and a bottle of Aurora Blue to play with my pens in the hotel room.

I've got dibs on another Hundred Year pen after it's been fixed.

Good show.

A magnificent collection, indeed! Congratulations!

Unfortunately, I wasn't there. But coincidentally, Joshua just released a review of a nice and easy to use software for this purpose in his site (Pelikan's Perch).

Yes, Joshua's blog post was what reminded me of the meeting I was unable to attend. The flyer for it was interesting in that it suggested the possibility of an improved version of the Fountain Pen Inventory software that many of us have been using, The software Josh recommended is obviously much more flexible, but requires a good bit more setup time. I can envision spending hours that I don't have adapting it to catalog my catalog of classical music recordings.

Thanks, Jmcarty3.

I tried to spot some of the forum members at the show, but didn't. I know many were there, but I guess I was too focused on pens to recognize anyone. Of course, most forum names are not real names, so I was at a disadvantage.

My brother in law is visiting from Ft Worth (Bal Lake) this week. He's interested in pens, so I gave him a P 45 and a Charlie pen, and told him about the Dallas show. Maybe you'll meet sometime.