Wish Nakaya Would Make More Danitrio-Sized Pens...

mk2579

My Danitrio's and Nakaya of a similar size

I know part of Nakaya's appeal is it's elegant proportions, but I wish they would make some more super- sized models like the 17mm Cigar. With big nibs and Kanji to match!

Danitrio Genkai, sho-genkai and Nakaya 17mm Portable Cigar in Ao Tamenuri…

img_1205.jpg?w=736

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pendel

• mk2579

• zaddick

• rpsyed

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish Dani made more Nakaya size pens. Of the various Danis I find most far too big and unless they also offer Cartridge/converter filling I'm not interested. Dani dropped my favorite size, the Hanyro. But Danityrio and Nakaya are niche market makers and so tend to target slight different markets.

My Website

I wish both makers would offer hard rubber feeds...

I love both Danitrio and Nakaya pens, but have had fairly consistent issues with the primer.

The Bock nibs they use are quite elastic, and the plastic/abs feeds do not keep up with the necessary flow, not to mention the difficulty of adjusting the feeds if they are out a bit.

For such wonderful high end pens, availability of a hard rubber feed should be a given.

Size-wise, I understand why the two makers have split the market, rather than compete against each other directly.

:-)

Edited by Pendel

My large Dani pens with the #8 Bock nibs all have ebonite feeds. I just had one heat set again last week. I have not bought one in a few years so maybe they stooped using the ebonite feeds?

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Danitrio tends to make larger pens to provide more surface for their artists, or so I was told. I feel Nakaya does more plain urushi where there is less need for fatter or longer pens.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

The Takumi now all come with plastic/abs feeds. Not sure about the bigger sized pens.

The Danitrio Mikado I bought a few months ago has an ebonite feed. I think Bock #8, and JoWo #8, are only available with ebonite feeds.

I wish both makers would offer hard rubber feeds...

I love both Danitrio and Nakaya pens, but have had fairly consistent issues with the primer.

The Bock nibs they use are quite elastic, and the plastic/abs feeds do not keep up with the necessary flow, not to mention the difficulty of adjusting the feeds if they are out a bit.

For such wonderful high end pens, availability of a hard rubber feed should be a given.

Size-wise, I understand why the two makers have split the market, rather than compete against each other directly.

Spitting the market- of course!

You have answered my question- that is why Nakaya doesn't make more Danitrio sized pens (doh!). But then, why the 17mm Portable? Because someone specifically asked for one.

I guess I could go direct to Nakaya and ask them to make a super- sized Neo- Standard in as close to Ao- tamenuri they can get without it being too labour intensive. Maybe, maybe...

I wonder if they would still make Ao- tamenuri if you ask for a custom Nakaya? I have also seen Midori tameuri, but not at nibs.com (I would want a CI or stub). As far as I am aware they didn't specify if they are just stopping the Ao for the standard 'production' line, or if the same goes for for custom Nakaya's as well.

you can ask them... really though you can ask them you just need to be patient

Yes you are right I should. I would hope they could make it in Ao-tamenuri too!

Danitrio tends to make larger pens to provide more surface for their artists, or so I was told. I feel Nakaya does more plain urushi where there is less need for fatter or longer pens.

True, that makes sense...though I actually quite like the plain Danitrio's with just the kanji script and those are the ones I have. Of course price is the other factor (ahem).

Although...a super- sized Naka- ai would look fantastic with a fat tapered barrel. Probably nicer than a super- sized Neo- standard, which could either end up resembling a flat- top Mikado (hence negating the need for it), or looking like a bit of a monster!

I am not sure that Nakaya offers larger (that #6-sized) nibs, even though not long ago there was some talk of it. I had a 17mm portable, and eventually sold it because it always looked aesthetically "off" to me: a very nice large body with a nib that looked too small. If Nakaya had offered a #8-sized nib, at the time I would have jumped on it. I have never had a Dorsal Fin, but have wondered whether it suffers from the same issue.

As others have pointed out, it does seem that the very large Dani nibs come with ebonite feeds. I am not sure whether this has to do with small quantity production of such pens (and the lack of mass-produced feeds of that size), or with the necessity of the ebonite feed characteristics to keep up with the nib.

I am not sure that Nakaya offers larger (that #6-sized) nibs, even though not long ago there was some talk of it. I had a 17mm portable, and eventually sold it because it always looked aesthetically "off" to me: a very nice large body with a nib that looked too small. If Nakaya had offered a #8-sized nib, at the time I would have jumped on it. I have never had a Dorsal Fin, but have wondered whether it suffers from the same issue.

As others have pointed out, it does seem that the very large Dani nibs come with ebonite feeds. I am not sure whether this has to do with small quantity production of such pens (and the lack of mass-produced feeds of that size), or with the necessity of the ebonite feed characteristics to keep up with the nib.

Totally agree re: 17mm Portable nib looking way too small for the pen body- as evident in my pic. I still like it though for the Ao finish and the shape.

I don't think I'll ever sell mine- keeping it will stop me from snapping up the only Ao left...the ascending dragon :notworthy1: Seriyu!

I love the huge ebonite feeds on the Genkai and the Omas pens- they MUST have something to do with the generous flow of the nibs, which are awesome. Omas feeds look cut from some ancient porous rock. My favourite of the European brands, so sad it's now closed :(

Ebonite feeds should come as standard for higher end pens, IMO.

A #8 nib with huge ebonite feed would really take Nakaya to the next level. Also, with their retiring of various finishes I have been less interested in Nakaya of late. I think their finishes are distinctive enough from Danitrio's to keep the brands separated enough in their own respective markets if they were to go the super- sized route.

I have become so desperate, I am trying to figure out how to make my own hard rubber feeds, or how to hack some other better plastic feeds to fit my two Danitrio Takumi with factory stubs and my new Namisu Nova with a titanium nib, all of which have feeds that do not offer proper ink flow support. The main obstacle in my feed-making is "the tail" that goes inside the nipple which goes into the converter opening. Too thin to make, but very important for the capillary action and air return.

Are you aware that Nakaya seems to have in production a Long with fat body (I guess comparable to the 17mm Portable). It is currently being used for maki-e editions, however I guess it would not be a huge technical problem to use the same body for a "regular" urushi production.

See for example this model employed for this maki-e pen: http://nakaya.org/en/review.aspx?id=416&type=body.

Working on a drawing now with one of my Danitros because I love holding it and looking at it but am weary of violently shaking it every five minutes to keep the ink flowing. Agree with previous criticisms.

Love all, trust a few, do harm to none. Shakespeare

I have become so desperate, I am trying to figure out how to make my own hard rubber feeds, or how to hack some other better plastic feeds to fit my two Danitrio Takumi with factory stubs and my new Namisu Nova with a titanium nib, all of which have feeds that do not offer proper ink flow support. The main obstacle in my feed-making is "the tail" that goes inside the nipple which goes into the converter opening. Too thin to make, but very important for the capillary action and air return.

There's a guy on Instagram who has made some ebonite and clear acrylic feeds for Pelikan, JoWo, and Bock units, some of which fit cartridges and converters. You could try asking him if he'd sell you one.

https://www.instagram.com/jgrasty/

There's a guy on Instagram who has made some ebonite and clear acrylic feeds for Pelikan, JoWo, and Bock units, some of which fit cartridges and converters. You could try asking him if he'd sell you one.

https://www.instagram.com/jgrasty/

Thank you, RPSyed!

Looks like Joet Grasty has done exactly what I am dreaming of with a CNC set up. I will try to contact him.

• 1 month later...

Since I ordered the Danitrio pens for my shop it are the big pens like genkai, sho genkai and mikado which devserve most of the attention and the hyotan of course. The smaller pens like hanryo or takumi have a more common shape compared to other brands and people give them pour attention.

As far as Nakaya is concerned I also wanted some bigger pens. So I ordered "thick cigars"(17mm) in a tamenuri finish. But I'm not sure Nakaya would accept even bigger pens because they always use the same nib.

Catherine Van Hove

www.sakurafountainpengallery.com

Koning Albertstraat 72b - 3290 DIest - Belgium