The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Sealing Wax Recipe

sealing wax recipe diy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tayanna

Tayanna

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 16:05

So during the day I make my own lotions, soaps, lip balms and other personal care products. What I make is pretty similar to what you can find at a Gardener's or Craft Market. So my love of crafting has spilled over into my letter writing. I got frustrated with the limitations of most sealing wax and the expense of the really good sealing wax so I decided to make my own.

Here is my recipe so you can try it out yourself!

I have it in both grams and ounces so use whichever you prefer.

80 grams Beeswax
16 grams Emulsifying Wax     (You can find this at most cosmetic supply stores.)
4 grams Soy Wax        (This helps stiffen the mixture just a tiny bit to make sure you get that tamper evident seal that is mailable!)
A pea size to a bean size of Oil Soluble Lip Color       (The color must be oil soluble! I get most of my colors mixed into oil already because it is easier to use and less messy than powders.)
2  0.15 cc Silver Mica      (You can use other pearlescent powders but I found glitter to be too large for my sealing wax. If I used glitter,

I couldn't get a smooth texture. 0.15 cc scoops are these tiny scoops used for measuring various powders. These work great!)

2.82 oz Beeswax
0.56 oz Emulsifying Wax
0.14 oz Soy Wax
A pea size to a bean size of Oil Soluble Lip Color
2  0.15 cc Silver Mica

Measure everything but your colors into a microwave safe container. Heat until the mixture is liquid. Caution! It will be hot!

While the waxes are still liquid add your colors and silver mica. Or don’t add any color if you like the natural look. Pour the hot mixture into molds or containers.

I used an ice cube mold from IKEA but you can use anything you have on hand. I found that pouring the mixture into silicone molds made it easier to remove from

the mold when cool. I like the longer sticks because I can keep my fingers away from the flame.

I guess next thing for me is a sealing wax spoon.

Here are my waxes in action.

wax.jpg

These are all of the colors I made.Wax Colors.jpg

Thanks for letting me share!

Sponsored Content

#2 Pterodactylus

Pterodactylus

They disabled my Account, you can find me on FPGeeks

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,335 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 17:26

Thanks for sharing your recipe and the pictures, this look really great.
The Mods disabled my account, so I can't reply here.
If you want to contact (e.g. regarding the EMF Mod) me please do it on FPGeeks.

#3 OCArt

OCArt

OBB

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,741 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 March 2016 - 21:01

Wow, Tayana, that's fantastic. Thank you for posting this recipe.

----------------

"Pens a'plenty in 2020" Chuck Montano from The Nib Section podcast

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sealing wax, recipe, diy

Sponsored Content

|