Should I Store The Ink After Pen Cleaning ?

sherman1873

I am new to fountain pens and I was just wondering if when I have to clean my pen (which I read was about once per month) can I keep the ink that I get out of it before starting the cleaning process so that I can use it later, or should I just throw that ink away. I might not be able to use all of my ink in a month, so I just wanted to know if I can save up the ink for later use, is it usable ?

(I am asking this because I read about how fibers from the paper, dust particles and dried ink must be cleaned, so in my mind there is a chance that that stuff could also be found in the ink, and I don't want to use an ink that has such particles, potentially getting my pen stuck or something)

Thanks in advance and sorry for my noobyness

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• sherman1873

• tinta

• haruka337

• Pterodactylus

I think the prevailing wisdom is that one should just discard the old ink rather than putting it back in the bottle. I confess that I've often squirted my unused ink back into the bottle. It hasn't caused problems thus far. However, I usually have only a tiny bit of ink left in the pen by the time I'm ready for cleaning, so it usually just goes down the drain.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet, 1.5.167-168

I think the prevailing wisdom is that one should just discard the old ink rather than putting it back in the bottle. I confess that I've often squirted my unused ink back into the bottle. It hasn't caused problems thus far. However, I usually have only a tiny bit of ink left in the pen by the time I'm ready for cleaning, so it usually just goes down the drain.

Okay, I will most likely be using a few pens, switching between one another so I might not use up all the ink in my main pen, but I will just throw it out, just in case. Bdw do you have experience with the parker quink ? This is the one i got, and I am wondering if it will perform well on cheap paper, since I am not really able to get fountain pen standard paper in my country

You need not apologize for any newbeeness. We all had to start somewhere. :W2FPN:

Putting the tiny amount of ink that your pen holds back into the bottle is not a safe practice. You may introduce unwanted contaminants (mold) into your ink.

Discard the ink that's in your pen, flush, then fill up again

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

After a while, I think you'll know how much ink to fill in your pen, which should reduce ink waste. :thumbup:

Nearly all inks degrade pen materials on some level (some doing damage quicker than other, however, sometimes, pen materials can be susceptible to deterioration) so always do a little research on ink likes and individual bottles. Even within an ink line, not all inks equal for various reasons. Except for one pen, I do not leave ink in a pen for more than two week.

If you use a extra fine western nibs or a Japanese medium-fine, fine or extra fine nibs, you'll be able to use most inks without too much bleed or feathering. :)

:W2FPN:

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

You need not apologize for any newbeeness. We all had to start somewhere. :W2FPN:

Putting the tiny amount of ink that your pen holds back into the bottle is not a safe practice. You may introduce unwanted contaminants (mold) into your ink.

Discard the ink that's in your pen, flush, then fill up again

Thanks for the information : ) I have found this forum to be very helpful so far

After a while, I think you'll know how much ink to fill in your pen, which should reduce ink waste. :thumbup:

Nearly all inks degrade pen materials on some level (some doing damage quicker than other, however, sometimes, pen materials can be susceptible to deterioration) so always do a little research on ink likes and individual bottles. Even within an ink line, not all inks equal for various reasons. Except for one pen, I do not leave ink in a pen for more than two week.

If you use a extra fine western nibs or a Japanese medium-fine, fine or extra fine nibs, you'll be able to use most inks without too much bleed or feathering. :)

:W2FPN:

My main pen will be the pilot metropolitan with a fine nib, so I hope that there won't be too much feathering or anything like that.

I wasn't aware of the fact that the inks could degrade the pens, how long is the average life expectancy of a daily use fountain pen ? I heard that with a monthly flush and proper care they should last for a long, long time.

Yes! ---- With proper care, your pens should really last a long time! I am thinking about good quality pens and good quality inks. I have a few pens that I have and used very often ----- very often---- some almost daily, for many years and they are still fine. ---- I want you to understand that the people on this site really can be helpful, and most take pleasure in helping new people to the hobby. So, ask away, any time you need to ask. Welcome to our great hobby, but I have a word of caution ----- "DON'T SPEND THE BABY'S MILK MONEY ON PENS AND INK! C. S.

Flushing should be done only when needed, not necessarily on a monthly schedule.

If you are using the same ink in the same pen again, a flush may not even be needed. There are exceptions of course. Some inks that may clog a feed more readily than others: more saturated inks or nano-particle inks like Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

Many of us old guys here have gone through our schooling using fountain pens & never gave a thought to flushing out old ink, except perhaps when we wanted to change colours.

(I only discovered so called "pen hygiene" when I joined FPN.) :rolleyes:

That said, it's appropriate to flush out your pen if you're going to store it for some time.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

Yes! ---- With proper care, your pens should really last a long time! I am thinking about good quality pens and good quality inks. I have a few pens that I have and used very often ----- very often---- some almost daily, for many years and they are still fine. ---- I want you to understand that the people on this site really can be helpful, and most take pleasure in helping new people to the hobby. So, ask away, any time you need to ask. Welcome to our great hobby, but I have a word of caution ----- "DON'T SPEND THE BABY'S MILK MONEY ON PENS AND INK! C. S.

Thanks for the information, I am glad that this community exists : )

Flushing should be done only when needed, not necessarily on a monthly schedule.

If you are using the same ink in the same pen again, a flush may not even be needed. There are exceptions of course. Some inks that may clog a feed more readily than others: more saturated inks or nano-particle inks like Sailor Kiwa-Guro.

Many of us old guys here have gone through our schooling using fountain pens & never gave a thought to flushing out old ink, except perhaps when we wanted to change colours.

(I only discovered so called "pen hygiene" when I joined FPN.) :rolleyes:

That said, it's appropriate to flush out your pen if you're going to store it for some time.

Is it bad if I am flushing the pen every month ? Can it get damaged or worn out ? And if it is bad for the pen, then how should I clean it instead ?

I typically have 4 or 5 pens inked for use at a time. This is due to different nibs and usage as well as different inks and pen preference. Pen and ink collectors can be fickle. I usually run a pen dry before cleaning but if not, I dispose of the ink remaining rather than try to recycle. If I am going to continue to use the same pen and ink combination, I simply refill the pen without cleaning. Many times I have left an inked pen unattended and unused for longer than a week. Since I store my pens upright with the nib up, I usually only need to be patient or wet the nib to resume writing with it.

The care and feeding of our pens can be as addicting as the collection and actual use. I think moderate frequency of cleaning would be okay.

Welcome to FPN and the wonderful world of fountain pens! You will learn faster and enjoy your pens more if you ask questions here on this forum. A vast amount of knowledge and experience available on request.

Best wishes,

Craig

A consumer and purveyor of words.

Co-editor and writer for Faith On Every Corner Magazine

Magazine - http://www.faithoneverycorner.com/magazine.html

Too much cleaning or needless disassembly may be harmful for a pen. Pen parts could get worn out.

Everything in moderation. Flush only when needed & use mostly water for your cleaning.

Edited by tinta

I typically have 4 or 5 pens inked for use at a time. This is due to different nibs and usage as well as different inks and pen preference. Pen and ink collectors can be fickle. I usually run a pen dry before cleaning but if not, I dispose of the ink remaining rather than try to recycle. If I am going to continue to use the same pen and ink combination, I simply refill the pen without cleaning. Many times I have left an inked pen unattended and unused for longer than a week. Since I store my pens upright with the nib up, I usually only need to be patient or wet the nib to resume writing with it.

The care and feeding of our pens can be as addicting as the collection and actual use. I think moderate frequency of cleaning would be okay.

Welcome to FPN and the wonderful world of fountain pens! You will learn faster and enjoy your pens more if you ask questions here on this forum. A vast amount of knowledge and experience available on request.

Best wishes,

Craig

I have already learned a lot in this forum, it is a truly great community : )

Too much cleaning or needless disassembly may be harmful for a pen. Pen parts could get worn out.

Everything in moderation. Flush only when needed & use mostly water for your cleaning.

Alright, so i will do a normal clean up each month and a flush only if changing colors or plan to leave the pan to stay unused for a long time : )

What about leaving the pen ? Should I keep it upright, is it bad if I keep it sideways

Fountain pens are designed to be safely stored either nib-up or lying down (filled with ink or empty) position. Most fountain pens have clips on their caps that hold the pen upright in a shirt or coat pocket. But, fountain pens can also rest on the surface of a table or lying down in a box.

When my pens are flushed & fully dried out, they always rest in their individual leather cases, lying down, in a Rubbermade box. Some of my pens have very efficient feeds (Sailors) & these can be stored nib-up when filled with ink. I have two pens that have sluggish feed systems which work much better when the pens are left lying down.

So,...it depends. :D

Edited by tinta

I would flush clean the pen only when I've run the pen dry. IOW there is no ink left in the pen to worry about putting back into the bottle or not. And even then, I will not clean the pen every time I empty the pen. Heck I have some pens that have not been cleaned for MONTHS, and they work just fine. But, as has been said, some inks do need cleaning more often/frequently than others, because the ink so saturated that it will gradually clog the feed. Also how often you use the pen also affects this, as infrequent usage could result in the ink drying in the feed. So bottom line is, it depends on YOUR specific ink/pen/usage combo.

The only time that I will clean the pen between fills, with ink still in the pen, is when I have a nib clog. Some papers leave a LOT of paper dust on the nib that migrates into the nib/feed, and clogs the pen. Then I need to flush clean that gunk out of the nib/feed.

Normally clip pens are stored nib UP. But there is nothing wrong with storing the pen flat. Some pens, however, need to be stored flat or nib down. This is because the ink gets stuck in the back of the converter when stored nib up, and you have to open the pen to tap the converter to get the ink to fall down to the front of the converter. This is why some converters have a stainless steel ball inside. The ball falls through the ink breaking the surface tension that is holding the ink to the back of the converter.

Edited by ac12

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

Is it bad if I am flushing the pen every month ? Can it get damaged or worn out ? And if it is bad for the pen, then how should I clean it instead ?

Flushing a pen monthly does no harm to the pens and as long as you flush your pen regularly 2 to four weeks (depending on pen and ink) your pens will likely out live us all. :P

I do agree with Tinta about disassembly. Flushing a pen is different from taking it apart and cleaning each part--most pens were not meant for constant disassembly. You can wear out threads, loosen friction fit parts and lose pieces or forget how to put a pen back together when constantly taking apart pens. But, honestly, your pens will likely never need a cleaning that thorough and if it does send it to an expert.

In the past, there was not the huge variety of inks that one can find today. Back then, one could risk not flushing a pen since it was likely one used the same ink color and brand constantly. These days, it's safer to flush when switching to another color or a different brand.

You've received a lot of great advice and recommendations in this thread, but don't over think it. As long as your pens work, do what ever you are comfortable with. :)

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

. . . . . and, if you clean your pen after six weeks, rather than four weeks ? No, the fountain pen police will NOT come to your home ! If you pour a glass of milk, and fail to drink it all, do you pour the remainder back to the milk carton ?

Try this : Use up the ink, then flush. If you are uncomfortable with the extended time between cleaning, fill with less ink. Dried ink is bad for your fountain pen. Liquid ink is not.

Soooooo, which fountain pens do you use regularly ?

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Fountain pens are designed to be safely stored either nib-up or lying down (filled with ink or empty) position. Most fountain pens have clips on their caps that hold the pen upright in a shirt or coat pocket. But, fountain pens can also rest on the surface of a table or lying down in a box.

When my pens are flushed & fully dried out, they always rest in their individual leather cases, lying down, in a Rubbermade box. Some of my pens have very efficient feeds (Sailors) & these can be stored nib-up when filled with ink. I have two pens that have sluggish feed systems which work much better when the pens are left lying down.

So,...it depends. :D

Thanks for the info, yet again xD

How long does it usually take for the ink to get dried out ? I know it probably depends on the pen and ink, but what is the typical amount of time this would take ?