The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Skipping Pilot Custom 74

pilot custom 74

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:55

I bought a Custom 74 with a medium nib about a month ago. I thought it was just a temporary issue, but it's not getting better.

When I draw a line downwards the nib feels smooth and the line is wet and nice. The same with lines from left to right.

However lines from down to up and right to left are very faint and dry and the nib feels scratchy.

The pen in this Youtube review show the same issue. https://youtu.be/f_Egx_bAwAs?t=15m41s

It there an easy way to fix this issue by myself, or do I have to contact the seller in Japan to sort it out?

Edited by AndyYNWA, 24 February 2016 - 10:59.

YNWA     JFT96

Instagram: inkyandy

Sponsored Content

#2 leejo

leejo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:03

I had the same issue. I think the tines are too tights. Many people suggest flushing the pen with a drop of dishwashing liquid on the feed(on the nipple end). I solved mine by opening up the tine, if you are not confident about doing it you should contact the seller!

Edited by leejo, 24 February 2016 - 12:03.

#3 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:09

Thanks, good to know I'm not alone... ;)
Is it possible to mend with a micro mesh?

Edited by AndyYNWA, 24 February 2016 - 12:10.

YNWA     JFT96

#4 leejo

leejo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 13:08

I really don't think that's necessary because you might remove that unique feedback from Japanese nibs and it does not solve the flow issue either. Personally, I would prefer to open up the tines than micro-mesh it. You could grab the shoulders of the nib with your thumb and index finger, and open the nib slightly. 

http://www.nibs.com/Article6.html - at the bottom of the page.

#5 AndyYNWA

AndyYNWA

Collectors Item

• 1,424 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 13:38

I really don't think that's necessary because you might remove that unique feedback from Japanese nibs and it does not solve the flow issue either. Personally, I would prefer to open up the tines than micro-mesh it. You could grab the shoulders of the nib with your thumb and index finger, and open the nib slightly. 

http://www.nibs.com/Article6.html - at the bottom of the page.

It seems to have worked! Thanks a lot!  :)

However, most of my finger are now all teal...  :huh:

YNWA     JFT96

#6 leejo

leejo

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 15:22

Great that it worked! My hands are always inked hahaha.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, custom 74

Sponsored Content

|