Montblanc Golden Yellow

Abner C. Kemp

I give Montblanc credit for branching out there with this ink but I can't say that I have much of a use for it. Unless you are an artist or interested in ink mixing, it's pretty tough to find a daily (even monthly) use for this ink. In my opinion, it is much too bright for any reasonably long correspondence, likely too opaque to be used as a highlighter, and too difficult to read to be used for mark ups. It is, however, a gorgeous shade of bright sunny yellow and I'm sure someone much more

As always, the pictures better show the color, the attached scan is easier to read. Still, the pictures make the ink darker than it really is. It's very bright in real life, nearly eye searing. Enjoy!!

Montblanc Golden Yellow.pdf

post-108956-0-29408500-1456283025_thumb.jpg

post-108956-0-23883500-1456283034_thumb.jpg

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cyber6

• Abner C. Kemp

• lapis

• Joban

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the review. Is this ink now available Stateside?

Yes, I purchased mine from PenBoutique.com -- no affiliation but I would recommend them.

Thanks for the review. :) I really like the colour, but I haven't decided how I'll use mine yet, as it is a bit light for blocks of text. I'm thinking maybe in a Pilot Parallel. :D

I was once a bottle of ink, Inky Dinky Thinky Inky, Blacky Minky Bottle of Ink!

Thanks for the review. I tested it this past weekend. Interesting color but as you indicate not really usable in most situations. As with other MB releases like this here today, gone tomorrow

Reminds me of King's Gold... Thanks for the review.. :D

C.

Thanks for the kind words. While I've never used Sheaffer King's Gold, the shots I've seen of it (especially from SBRE Browns Review) seem to indicate that it is much more of a matte golden color which makes it seem semi-legible. Golden Yellow get's it's "gold" from a very vibrant sort of orange overtone which is eye searing like gold in the bright sunlight. It's very beautiful but perhaps even less useable. It would be awesome if someone could compare the two. If someone out there owns Sheaffer King's Gold and wants to send a sample my way -- or vice versa -- send me a PM.

Thanks for the review. :) I really like the colour, but I haven't decided how I'll use mine yet, as it is a bit light for blocks of text. I'm thinking maybe in a Pilot Parallel. :D

That's an interesting idea! I was going to mention today that I loaded the ink into a wet 1.5 mm stub nib and it is legible enough that I could probably get away with writing a short greeting card or note with it. You might find it a bit dark for highlighting text in the Parallel actually. Please let us know. :)

Edited by Abner C. Kemp

Thanks for the kind words. While I've never used Sheaffer King's Gold, the shots I've seen of it (especially from SBRE Browns Review) seem to indicate that it is much more of a matte golden color which makes it seem semi-legible. Golden Yellow get's it's "gold" from a very vibrant sort of orange overtone which is eye searing like gold in the bright sunlight. It's very beautiful but perhaps even less useable. It would be awesome if someone could compare the two. If someone out there owns Sheaffer King's Gold and wants to send a sample my way -- or vice versa -- send me a PM.

I just got this ink on the mail and I do own King's Gold. I will try to post some swatches and a writing sample.. sometime soon (please remind me if I don't do it on the next couple of days)... :)

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I think they are spot on. I find scanners are good at showing the differences, but didn't have time to scan them.

The pic might make them look more similar than naked eye due to the yellow cast of the fluorescent lighting. In any case... they are very similar. So, if you ever wanted Sheaffer's Kings Gold... just grab a bottle of MB Gold.. :D :D

fpn_1456414141__mbgold.jpg

**** BauerInks.ca ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I think they are spot on. I find scanners are good at showing the differences, but didn't have time to scan them.

The pic might make them look more similar than naked eye due to the yellow cast of the fluorescent lighting. In any case... they are very similar. So, if you ever wanted Sheaffer's Kings Gold... just grab a bottle of MB Gold.. :D :D

fpn_1456414141__mbgold.jpg

Cool thanks!!

• 4 weeks later...

Good review. Sorry I missed out on this post. What you write is exactly what I think, too. I bought this ink (the same day as MB's BMW blue) and both are in fact beautiful colors (to my eye) but this yellow just doesn't fill the bill as a "normal, readable" daily ink. Too bad, but still -- as always -- all the more reason to get a MB ink. You never know when you'll be glad you collected it. (Actually, I'm already glad I did, because a boutique just told me that they've already run out of this one....)

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Good review. Sorry I missed out on this post. What you write is exactly what I think, too. I bought this ink (the same day as MB's BMW blue) and both are in fact beautiful colors (to my eye) but this yellow just doesn't fill the bill as a "normal, readable" daily ink. Too bad, but still -- as always -- all the more reason to get a MB ink. You never know when you'll be glad you collected it. (Actually, I'm already glad I did, because a boutique just told me that they've already run out of this one....)

Mike

Thanks!! I get the sense this will be one of the Ltds. that will demand some coin in the future. I'll probably try putting it in an Ahab with a Goulet 1.1 I have that absolutely gushes ink in the hopes that it might be readable enough for a letter. It would be an excellent ink for someone artistic and I'm sure there are tons of beautiful ink washes and stuff that can be done with it. For regular writing it is kind of an iffy proposition.

I'm not sure that this yellow was/is a LE but I recall that it is, just like the pink companion. Ditto the gray (although the gray is in a completely different bottle and box) so I'll phone them tomorrow and ask what's up. I still adore the gray! That's was a real winner IMO!

Mike

To all Ye MB ink collectors....

Pink was a LE and is now gone and won't be issued anymore. If you find a bottle anywhere and want it, buy it now. Golden Yellow, too, is a LE but still being issued. I.e. it's not available at the moment (in a lot of boutiques and elsewhere) but is to be issued again in April but only for a while (so they say). Permanent Grey is also a LE and in fact in several places still available but when it' all sold out, it's game over ♫ ♬

Mike

To all Ye MB ink collectors....

Pink was a LE and is now gone and won't be issued anymore. If you find a bottle anywhere and want it, buy it now. Golden Yellow, too, is a LE but still being issued. I.e. it's not available at the moment (in a lot of boutiques and elsewhere) but is to be issued again in April but only for a while (so they say). Permanent Grey is also a LE and in fact in several places still available but when it' all sold out, it's game over ♫ ♬

Mike

The only thing to remember is: If the ink is on the "shoe" bottle... is regular line up, if it is not.. is LE.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

Might be a reasonable ink for doing some calligraphy illumination.

Is "King's Gold" available anywhere? As for substituting KG for GY, I would imagine there might be a slight price difference!!!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Is "King's Gold" available anywhere? As for substituting KG for GY, I would imagine there might be a slight price difference!!!

Oh No... you need to get MB Yellow if you want King's Gold.. not the other way. King's Gold is hard to find even on the secondary market. MB Gold Yellow should be around for the next little while.

C.

**** BauerInks.ca ****

We are only getting the cartridges of these :/ not sure if I want a bottle of it or not yet, but I'd like to be tempted :)

• 11 months later...

A year late to the party and my bottle is much darker. I like it. It shades very well.

Looking up Sheaffer's Kings Gold was much brighter and yellower than my bottle.

Top ink on both papers. http://i1339.photobucket.com/albums/o707/boboolson1/SAM_0897_zpsmubronup.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

• 3 months later...

Also a bit late to the party, I purchased a bottle of Golden Yellow while I wait for Lucky Orange to arrive at the Rio de Janeiro MB boutique.

I suppose I have been quite successful using this ink in combination with another ink for writing a short letter (in Italian chancery cursive).

In this case I used Golden Yellow for all capitals and Pelikan 4001 Violet for all lower-case letters. I should note all first letters in a line are capitalized, which gives the letter some harmony and rythm. I found the result very interesting. The letter was very legible, but retained the friendly, warm and open mood of the yellow ink. Plus, violet/purple and yellow match greatly.

I'd suppose Golden Yellow will work great with most shades of blue and gray as well.

I'm still trying to figure out how I can use it at work, though...

Edited by jpgeorgief