A Two Year Odyssey - My Experience With 8 Types Of Permanent Ink

Vimy13

Members:

I have followed the Fountain Pen Network for years but have never posted till now. I thought it might be of interest to relay the experiences I have had over the last 2 years trying to control my obsession with "permanent ink".

This will take more than one post but I will begin by providing a background to my ink usage. I started collecting permanent ink at the end of 2014 and since then have extensively tested the following brands: Mont Blanc Permanent Blue, Black and Grey, Platinum Carbon Ink, Private Reserve Invincible Black, Diamine Registrar's Ink and deAtamentis Document Ink Blue and Black.

The pens that have been used with all of these inks include the following: Mont Blanc (Diplomat, Traveller), Pelikan (M800, M805 demos, M1000 and M1005 demos), Lamy (Studio, steel nibs, Scala)., Dunhill, St. Dupont, Pilot and Rotring Art Pens. With the exception of the Rotring and steel nibbed Lamys, all the pens tested had gold nibs and piston refill mechanisms.

The paper used was restricted to 100% or 25% cotton content. Why use cheap paper with expensive pens and inks is my philosophy. Brand names used with the ink included the following: Crane's Crest, Crane's Thesis Paper, Southworth Business, Neehah Old Council Tree Bond and Strathmore Pure Cotton. I know at least one of these brands have been discontinued but I have a jealously guarded supply which I reserve strictly for fountain pen use!

It is my plan to review one or two inks per post with my impressions of each. However, may I begin by providing an overall conclusion. There is a lot of choice available out there and some brands of permanent ink are amazing to write with. Yes, I do have my favourite which I will reveal in good time. However, there is a VERY dark side to the force. Permanent ink, as many detractors have noted on this site, can utterly destroy any fountain pen if care is not taken. These products are NOT for the occasional user but rather for the enthusiastic hobbyist (like me) or the working professional who still has the great privilege of using their pen frequently during the work week.

However, during the course of two years (and some very hard knocks) I have developed a strategy which will allow safe use of these products on a routine basis. This routine (and the products that go with it) will be described in later posts.

The next post will have a picture of all the above named inks after they have been submerged in tap water for 45 minutes. I have done this on numerous occasions but it never ceases to amaze me at how untouched they all look when the paper has dried.

Till the next post .......

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pictogramax

• carlos.q

• Gloucesterman

• Vimy13

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I typically don't use permanent inks I applaud your work, appreciate your efforts and look forward to both your future postings and the comments which they will garner.

THANK YOU!

“Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today, because if you do it today and like it, you can do again tomorrow!”

Looking forward to your further posts and insights.

"...using a fountain pen should feel like riding a unicorn through a field of cupcakes during a rainstorm of scotch while eating bacon" - Dan Smith

"Never trust a man who, when left alone in a room with a tea cosy, doesn't try it on" - Billy Connolly

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences. I know I will learn much, as I'm sure others will as well.