Kickstarter: Namisu - Nova With Titanium Ef Nib . . .

Tas

I sympathise - it surely wouldn't be *that* hard to offer tracking as a feature (even if we had to pay extra for it). Without it, we just have to wait... That said, given the earlier shipping date of your pen, if it doesn't arrive soon, I would be contacting Namisu to ask them if they can find out what's happened.

I used to take the initiative to contact Namisu, but can not get their reply. Thank you for your reply, I will continue to wait.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tas

• Feanaaro

• rajesh06

• parnesh

how are they... based on initial impression of my friend... the grip section is slippery... nib is just okay...

can u share your experience please

Too early to talk about the nibs, they are standard Bock nibs. So I'm not sure if your friend just ended up getting a defective nib. I own the black one and my friend owns the Silver Nova, both are not slippery at all!

Mine is a titanium body with a gold stub nib, which I received it today. Honestly, I feel short-changed and disappointed over scratches over a few locations on the pen body and cap. I am not sure if they were caused by the customs when the officers were checking on the pen?

Another size comparison with other pens...

25346152951_3106559648_z.jpg

Ooo, that Alt Golgrünny looking green suits it too . . . :wub:

I received mine and it is absolutely perfect. A great job by Namisu.

the Danitrio Fellowship

I've been tempted to get the titanium model along with the bock ti nib, but it is a bit out of my budget.

Personally, based on my experience with previous Namisu model, I would recommend against both the titanium body and the titanium nib. The thing with the titanium body is that it becomes very heavy, for me way too heavy. The titanium nib has indeed some spring, but in the end you are not going to use it for flex writing anyway, and the steel nibs write well enough. The aluminum with steel nib is half the cost or less, and you end up with a more useable pen. You can also buy the pen and swap the nib at some later point, as the nibs (steel, gold, titanium) are standard and quite available from multiple sources.

Personally, based on my experience with previous Namisu model, I would recommend against both the titanium body and the titanium nib. The thing with the titanium body is that it becomes very heavy, for me way too heavy. The titanium nib has indeed some spring, but in the end you are not going to use it for flex writing anyway, and the steel nibs write well enough. The aluminum with steel nib is half the cost or less, and you end up with a more useable pen. You can also buy the pen and swap the nib at some later point, as the nibs (steel, gold, titanium) are standard and quite available from multiple sources.

I don't quiet agree regarding the Ti nibs. Some people, myself firmly in the camp, really enjoy writing with springy nibs. Otherwise I would have maybe two or three pens. I have paid way more for Gold and Ti nibbed pens with springy nibs and they are becoming increasingly hard to come by with Pilot and Visconti being the only companies producing gold and palladium nibs respectively.

I commend companies like Namisu for providing choice.

. The thing with the titanium body is that it becomes very heavy, for me way too heavy.

This is interesting as I have just contacted namisu about this issue.

I ordered titanium body which was specified at 45g and have a body of about 150g. Given its characteristics I suspect it is stainless steel like 316. Could you (or anyone with a gram accuracy scale) weigh their pen?

recalibrated scales :blush: not 150g :blush: :blush: :blush:

but still heavier than the original spec and doesnt feel like any other piece of titanium i have

Has anybody tried the medium ti nib ?

Just ordered. Will follow up when it arrives.
MB JFK BB; 100th Anniversary M; Dumas M FP/BP/MP set; Fitzgerald M FP/BP/MP set; Jules Verne BB; Bernstein F; Shaw B; Schiller M; yellow gold/pearl Bohème Pirouette Lilas (custom MB-fitted EF); gold 744-N flexy OBB; 136 flexy OB; 236 flexy OBB; silver pinstripe Le Grand B; 149 F x2; 149 M; 147 F; 146 OB; 146 M; 146 F; 145P M; 162 RB

recalibrated scales :blush: not 150g :blush: :blush: :blush:

but still heavier than the original spec and doesnt feel like any other piece of titanium i have

To be clear, my Titanium Namisu pen, a Nexus, their first model, is as heavy as in its specs, which I don't remember exactly at the moment but was something like 45 or 50 grams. That for me is too heavy to use as a normal pen, although of course other people may find it comfortable. Perhaps it may also depend in part for the kind of grip that pen has, I don't know; but for me definitely too heavy. I think my limit for a pen is around 30 grams, and ~20 would probably be my sweet spot.

The current Ti pen is pretty much what they said it would be weight wise now i look back and it does all match to the material characteristics of Ti. The heft of it really took me back as i have many lightweight Ti items and was expecting something of a similar ilk without thinking through the weight spec ..... :(

I am in agreement with Feanaaro: it is just too heavy for me for long writing sessions.

It is very well made with excellent fit and finish, the section is slightly larger than i prefer but not problematically so, the Ti nib EF is excellent: springy and flows very well. In all other respects thus far this is an excellent pen.

The Ti body is about 1.5mm thick and I think they missed a real opportunity with the material to have a very lightweight strong metal pen: this is where Ti excels after all. Perhaps this would have exceeded the machining capacity available? If the body could have been 0.5mm at maybe 15-20g it would totally do for me, but then i guess there would be complaints it is not substantial enough!

The Ti body is about 1.5mm thick and I think they missed a real opportunity with the material to have a very lightweight strong metal pen: this is where Ti excels after all. Perhaps this would have exceeded the machining capacity available? If the body could have been 0.5mm at maybe 15-20g it would totally do for me, but then i guess there would be complaints it is not substantial enough!

I suspect this is very hard to do if you want to maintain any sort of budget. On the other hand, a titanium skeleton pen (possibly 3D printed) at a reasonable price would be awesome!

Has anybody tried the medium ti nib ?

Yes - it's really nice! I can try to post a writing sample later if you like ...

Edited by bbs

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

I've had my Ti pen for about a week now. I have both the Ti EF and steel EF nib. A few reactions:

► the pen is quite heavy, though reasonably balanced. I'm somewhat surprised that a titanium pen feels so heavy. I have a couple of the Karas Customs pens in aluminum, They are about the same size, but are much lighter.

The pen will post, but not very securely - I don't think I would post it, and posting would probably scratch the pen body. But it's long enough to not need posting. The material is ok for gripping - not as slick as stainless feels to me, but not as easy to grip as sterling. In other words the pen is fully usable, but not the most comfortable writer.

Other parts of the design (cap threads, for instance) are very well done. I think that the pen name "Namisu" should be imprinted somewhere on the pen body - there is no label or identification of any kind anywhere, except the generic "Bock" on the nib.

► The EF steel nib works fine, though the line width is somewhere between a fine and medium - not unusual for European nibs. It required no tuning, not even aligning the tines which I find most pens require.

►The EF titanium is another story. When I first got it, it would write for a time, then dry up. Some shakes or flooding the nib with the converter would restart writing, but only for a while. I tweaked the nib a number of ways before I was happy with it. As with the steel nib, it's too wide to call an EF, even wider than the steel EF.

The "problem" with this nib is it's very soft. So too much pressure pushes it away from the feed, and ink stops flowing. It's a little like the Palladium nibs that Visconti offers - you need a very light touch.

I did several things to make the nib work, but I think the most important was to reshape (heat set) the feed. Conforming the feed to the nib was not enough. I took the feed and nib apart, and reshaped the feed so it was very close to flat, instead of the slight downward curve it came with. Now the feed is in contact with the nib with a light, but usable pressure. I also slightly reshaped the tip to remove what I felt was a slight baby's bottom shape, and the pen is a reliable writer, if a little to broad for my taste.

When I had finished my tuning, the pen worked fine with Quink black, the ink I always start a new pen with. But because of the way the nib worked, and the little writing pressure it took to move the nib away from the feed, I thought this might be a good candidate for one of the thicker, more viscous inks. In this case, I filled it with Noodlers Midnight Blue - an ink with more dye (making it thicker) and more surfactant (allowing the thicker ink to flow better). Not all pens like the more concentrated dye inks, but in this case the combination works great.

Visconti describes their Pd nibs as "dream touch," meaning no pressure required. I would describe this nib the same way. Not everyone will like writing with this - the overall combination of the Ti nib, and weight and shape of the body, makes for a distinctly different writing feel than most other pens. If I was going to spend hours and hours writing that great American novel, i would choose an old Parker hard rubber Duofold - easy to grip, light, with a nib that just works well for me. This pen is more in the category of very interesting, both in look and feel.

I have a lot of pens, so I can choose others for the long slog writing. I'm overall glad I have this one.

"Bad spelling, like bad grammar, is an offense against society."

- - Good Form Letter Writing, by Arthur Wentworth Eaton, B.A. (Harvard);  © 1890

I think that the pen name "Namisu" should be imprinted somewhere on the pen body - there is no label or identification of any kind anywhere, except the generic "Bock" on the nib.

It's a little like the Palladium nibs that Visconti offers - you need a very light touch.

Thanks for providing this, a much better overall review of the pen than I did :blush:.

Sorry to hear your Ti nib needed work but am glad all is well now.

Delighted too to hear that you found the nib similar to the Visconti Paladium Dreamtouch.

As for markings, I noticed a very, very discreet "N" by the threads as you unscrew to refill.