The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot Decimo Coming To The Us!

pilot capless decimo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2016 - 15:33

According to Goulet Pens and Anderson Pens, the Pilot Decimo is coming to the US!  I know I could always order online from Jetpens and vendors overseas, but this is still great news to have the Decimo finally officially here.  I prefer the Decimo over the Vanishing Point as it's thinner, lighter and at least for me the clip is a much more comfortable design.

Edited by Tasmith, 22 February 2016 - 18:38.

Sponsored Content

#2 mooshi

mooshi

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:00

Cool beans!

#3 ridiculopathy

ridiculopathy

Modern

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:06

Nice! I like the looks of the Decimo, but I've gotten used to and now prefer the width of the VP.

#4 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,742 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 17:14

Oh good, now we can overpay for yet another Japanese pen...sigh. They can be had for about 115 bucks from Japan (was right at 100 a few months ago, what happened!!), lets see what the US vendors will charge...meanwhile a VP is still right at 80 bucks from Japan. Wonder why the Decimo is so much more than the VP even within Japan, and if the same price disparity will carry over in the USA pricing? That would make the Decimo about 185 bucks in the USA...

#5 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,612 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 17:20

Good, now I will get to look at one in person!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#6 inkstainedruth

inkstainedruth

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 17:25

I'd be interested in seeing one of these.  The VP is a bit too heavy for my hand, and I had trouble with the clip on the one I handled.  Do people who have the Decimo have less trouble with the clip location and size?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

#7 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,742 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 17:36

I'd be interested in seeing one of these.  The VP is a bit too heavy for my hand, and I had trouble with the clip on the one I handled.  Do people who have the Decimo have less trouble with the clip location and size?

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

I've held both, but actually bought a Decimo. The clip isn't so much the issue for me, it was the weight of the VP (and the girth) that put me off. I will say, though, that the VP's clip is more "in the way" than the Decimo's is for me.

#8 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,933 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 17:37

Remind me before the next pen club Ruth, and I'll take mine along for you to try...

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#9 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 17:43

I've attempted to write with the regular "fat" VP & the thinner gripped Decimo.  The Decimo was far more comfortable for me than the standard VP.  Sure, I still had to get used to where I placed my fingers, but at least I was able to write with the Decimo.

Does anyone know who will be carrying Decimos in the US?   Would the italic nib insert be available for this pen?

The Decimo I tried was an earlier (vintage?) model.  Would the new Decimo's grip dimensions be the same as the old?

Edited by tinta, 23 February 2016 - 17:45.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#10 ISW_Kaputnik

ISW_Kaputnik

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,760 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 18:18

With the clips on, I do find the Capless Decimo more comfortable to hold than the Vanishing Point (I got my Decimo from Japan).  I do have a couple of Vanishing Points with the clips removed, and find those as comfortable as the Decimo for writing at length, but of course, they won't stay in my shirt pocket and need to be carried in some kind of case.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do." - Benjamin Franklin

#11 pen2paper

pen2paper

arty o the irst art

• Member - Gold

• 5,972 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 18:42

what's the filling system and capacity on Decimo?

emoticon-animal-007.gif~Hi! fountain pen enthusiast here~

#12 Ron Z

Ron Z

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 9,933 posts

Posted 23 February 2016 - 19:00

what's the filling system and capacity on Decimo?

It uses the same nib unit and converter as the other VP pens.  The difference is in the size of the pen body.

banner200.jpg
Visit Main Street Pens
A full service pen shop providing professional, thoughtful vintage pen repair...

Please use email, not a PM for repair and pen purchase inquiries.

#13 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 February 2016 - 19:55

Does anyone know who will be carrying Decimos in the US?   Would the italic nib insert be available for this pen?
The Decimo I tried was an earlier (vintage?) model.  Would the new Decimo's grip dimensions be the same as the old?

We'll Have them, of course. Italic nib is not available as a standard option, Extra Fine, Fine, or Medium nibs only, but of course, regular VP nibs will fit inside so you could purchase a Stub and use it, or swap from another VP.
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#14 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 February 2016 - 20:06

We'll Have them, of course. Italic nib is not available as a standard option, Extra Fine, Fine, or Medium nibs only, but of course, regular VP nibs will fit inside so you could purchase a Stub and use it, or swap from another VP.

Thank you.

Is there a stub option (purchased separately) for the VP converter/nib units? 

If so, what grade does Pilot rate their VP stub?

Edited by tinta, 24 February 2016 - 20:06.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14c. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14c. H-B "M" BLS (PB) *2 Sailor 1911-M Burgundy/gold pens: 14c. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 1.1 mm. CI (JM) *Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14c. (factory) "H-B" *2 Kaweco SPECIAL fountain pens: 14c."M" "B",-0.5 mm & 0.7 mm stubs (PB) *Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14c "B" -0.6 mm. stub (PB) *Montblanc 254, 14c. "BB" (1.1 mm?) flügelfeder factory stub

#15 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:39

Thank you.

Is there a stub option (purchased separately) for the VP converter/nib units? 

If so, what grade does Pilot rate their VP stub?

There is a stub nib option available separately, but it has been so successful, that demand has outstripped supply.  It is available standard on a ouple of pen models only at present time.  Next anticipated delivery is going to be Spring.  Not sure what you mean by "grade".

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#16 Tasmith

Tasmith

Uff Da!

• Member - Gold

• 1,686 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:45

There is a stub nib option available separately, but it has been so successful, that demand has outstripped supply.  It is available standard on a ouple of pen models only at present time.  Next anticipated delivery is going to be Spring.  Not sure what you mean by "grade".

Perhaps grade means .8mm or 1.1mm?

Edited by Tasmith, 25 February 2016 - 02:48.

#17 tinta

tinta

otthon vagyok

• Member - Gold

• 2,911 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:19

Yupp, that's what I meant. 

Grades like:  EF or M or BB , etc....  A tip width, that's not standardized across the industry, but varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

So, in the case of the Pilot VP, what width is their stub? 

Edited by tinta, 25 February 2016 - 03:34.

#18 ScienceChick

ScienceChick

Talk Nerdy To Me

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 2,370 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:24

I, too, have had both and much prefer the Decimo due to the weight and girth of the VP. The clip position hasn't bothered me.

photo 9a3c4b09-5684-4070-874c-d3e7313947e7.pngLife is too short to use crappy pens.  -carlos.q

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, capless, decimo

Sponsored Content

|