Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite

white_lotus

A while back, Pelikan introduced its Edelstein line of "boutique" inks in fancy bottles. I had looked at reviews and found many that were quite dismissive of this line. Perhaps people were expecting a Noodler's or Private Reserve from Pelikan. I don't know if the inks themselves have been re-formulated since their initial launch or not. But because the Edelsteins didn't get no respect, and were quite pricey, I bought other inks that seemed to have a better reputation.

Recently I picked up Pelikan Edelstein Tanzanite, as I wanted a fairly "safe" ink for a (for me) pricey Pelikan pen, and I'm a fan of blue-blacks anyway. Well, I think this ink rocks. It has great flow, excellent saturated color, fabulous handling. As I say, I don't know if the ink has changed, but the one review I found people seem to have varying opinions. I like the ink. I don't know how the other inks in the line are, but this one is worthy of consideration. Of course, if you like dark blue ink.

As usual, the papers are MvL=Mohawk via Linen, Hij=Hammermill 28lb inkjet, TR=Tomoe River.

The colors are fairly close to accurate. The ink is not very water resistant, but the heavy dye load means there's something left on the paper. I don't not have an ink blot for this one, I forgot.

fpn_1456000839__img_4093.jpg

fpn_1456000802__img_4095.jpg

fpn_1456000866__img_4092.jpg

fpn_1456000900__img_4099.jpg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• white_lotus

• The Good Captain

• visvamitra

• AndyYNWA

Top Posters In This Topic

Great review as usual. I've always liked the Edelsteins, and can't quite figure out why they get no respect. I like Tanzanite, Sapphire, and Garnet.

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

Another good review, White Lotus. Thank you.

I have a few inks in this range and I find they tend slightly towards the dry side, especially Garnet, which I just can't get on with. But I do like Tanzanite. It shows up well in your photos.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Thanks also, for this review too. I've always liked this ink and still don't know why a lot of us just bump all (or most) Edelsteins off. This is IMO one of the "better" ones. Also, I don't find them all that expensive. Why not just buy them all and be done with it? There are only 8 out, anyway, plus 4 Inks of the Year (which is to increase by one in 9 days....)

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Informative as always.

My Tanzanite is the only bottle that sits on my desk full time. Both the bottle and it's contents are gorgeous.

Sadly never found another of their colours I liked though :mellow: .

I have on Edelstein ink in Topaz and I find it an extremely well behaved ink as well. I was looking for a not-so-bright turquoise color and this one fits the bill almost to perfection. I wouldn't hesitate to buy any Eldelstein ink if I liked the color.

Great review, thanks for posting.

I also don't understand why the Edelsteins don't get much respect. I have 7 of them and they are all well behaved inks. For comparable colors I usually much prefer Edelstein to Iroshizuku, with the only exception being black (onyx vs. take-sumi), because the onyx is a little bit grey-ish for my taste.

One of my favourites in this range. Good and rich.

The Good Captain

"Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"