Sailor Pen And Message "writing Lab" Old Burgundy

white_lotus

Early last year when my interest in the Japanese store-exclusive inks by Sailor began, and the inks were generally available, a generous FPN member sent me a sample of this ink. I think I'd seen a review or two and thought it looked very good. I didn't get a chance to try it out until recently, as reds are not my favorite. But this one is a nice deep burgundy color and quite pleasant. Pen and Message used to take reservations for the custom inks, but have abandoned that as it was taking too much of their time. Now, it'll just show up on the website (maybe) someday when it's back in stock.

They have a poorly translated quote supposedly from Ernest Hemingway "Now is no time to think of what do not have. Think of what you can do with that there is." I think this means don't hold your breath. Sorry to post a review of an ink that nearly everyone will not be able to get. This is probably as bad as posting a review to a long gone MB LE ink. For this, I apologize.

Tested on papers MvL=Mohawk via Linen, Hij=Hammermill 28lb inkjet paper, TR=Tomoe River.

The color seems reasonably accurate in these iPhone 4 photos. Unusual I know.

The ink has a bit to water resistance, but given the heavy dye load, that tends to run and create something of a mess.

As typical for Sailor, a most unusual wet-paper-towel chromatography. But when washed, the main dye seems to overpower everything else.

fpn_1455999289__img_4094.jpg

fpn_1455999354__img_4096.jpg

fpn_1455999417__img_4091.jpg

fpn_1455999444__img_4113.jpg

fpn_1455999468__img_4098.jpg

fpn_1455999542__img_4100.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mew

• white_lotus

• gylyf

• migo984

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thank you for your review of one of my favourite inks. It is truly a rich, lush ink. I love inks in this colour range & I used OB on one of Amberlea's recent CRV swatch posts.

I have a few inks that are fairly similar, including BSiAR (original formula). A number of inks look close at first but the underlying tone is often different to Old Burgundy. I could do a quick comparison tomorrow if it would help?

Verba volant, scripta manent

Since this in near unobtanium ink, if you can offer suggestions/comparisons I'm sure that would be useful to folks that want to obtain something similar. Of course, it's never the same, but sometimes we must do with what we have. Thanks for your efforts.

Since this in near unobtanium ink, if you can offer suggestions/comparisons I'm sure that would be useful to folks that want to obtain something similar. Of course, it's never the same, but sometimes we must do with what we have. Thanks for your efforts.

I agree completely. I find that even though 2 inks may not be an exact match when studied closely, it can often be virtually impossible to notice the differences when in actual use. (Taking into account all the variables we know affect how an ink looks).

I'll find a close match with a more readily available ink & will post a pic here.

I have a bottle (or more maybe) of this ink and I really like it. :)

Too bad that it will not come back into circulation before October 2016. :(

Thank you for the review. :)

Edited to add "thank you"

Edited by Mew

Thanks migo984. And thanks Mew for the timeframe update. That's a sad, long wait. Hopefully that will also include all the other P&M inks as there are six that I want to get.

That's a beautiful ink. I just got a sample of something called "Burgundy Rose" from Diamine. I wonder if it comes close to this. I'll have to try it soon and see.

Edited by cleosmama

I don't have any Kobe's in that color range, so I can't comment on that. But based on visvamitra's reviews of their line it seems they have only two colors in this hue: #6 Kobe Bordeaux, and #27 Kounan Maroon. Not sure how they compare.

I don't have any Kobe's in that color range, so I can't comment on that. But based on visvamitra's reviews of their line it seems they have only two colors in this hue: #6 Kobe Bordeaux, and #27 Kounan Maroon. Not sure how they compare.

Oops, I kind of spaced on that one – I actually have both of those. To my eye, neither quite matches: #6 seems lighter and #27 maybe a little browner. Thanks for the review!

Thanks migo984. And thanks Mew for the timeframe update. That's a sad, long wait. Hopefully that will also include all the other P&M inks as there are six that I want to get.

Let me know which ones do you want me to ink up. :)

I have the entire pen & message line.

I'll post some writing sample.

post-127041-0-44497100-1456034016_thumb.jpg

Also, I have both Kobe #6 and #27 and both look different.

As promised, here are some comparisons of inks that are, apart from a few, easier to obtain than Old Burgundy.

Pic taken under artificial light, so usual caveats apply. However, as the purpose is to identify possible look-a-like inks, I hope it suffices. IMHO none are an exact match but a couple are close enough. Hope it helps.

bung box clown tear drop is a deep red burgundy. thats what i thought of first when i looked at the pictures.

I was going to say Tears of a Clown is a pretty similar shade, and certainly has a very similar overall look. This ink looks darker though, Tears of a Clown shades from a raspberry color to a burgundy.

Let me know which ones do you want me to ink up. :)

I have the entire pen & message line.

I'll post some writing sample.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Also, I have both Kobe #6 and #27 and both look different.

Oh, yeay! XD Do ink reviews of all the Pen & Message inks, Mew!

---

As always, white_lotus, nice review.

Ink, a drug.

― Vladimir Nabokov, Bend Sinister

Instagram:
a.transient.life

The review for this ink was as always a pleasure to read.

I don't have it & after failing to obtain Sweet Potato Purple I recently received Kwizi's Maroon & find it makes a perfectly acceptable substitute for my use. Red's are not my favorite but recent fills of the Australian Blackstone Ululu Red & Kwizi Maroon are both very pleasant inks for a person that is not "dying for the best red inks." (The recent Ebay auctions for Montblanc WINTER GLOW & HITCHCOCK RED have made me even happier with these Australian & Polish inks.)