I Love The Italians

freeboy

well

I find as my money goes out for the nicer pens.. IE gold nibs and higher prices, I am buying more Italians and avoiding the others...

Is it fair? not in the least as these other nations boast some fine pens.. but my I truly love a good Italian FP....

next incoming is another Omas in a broad nib.. so glad to find one as most of the quotes I received have been med nibs....

Do most of the FP lovers here like the Italians as I do, far and above all others? or do they simply love all FP's from any nation equally?

One Visconti

Four Deltas

Two Omas

one happy camper

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• freeboy

• jar

• Cordovian

• Calabria

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I spend my money almost exclusively on Aurora pens. I find their nibs to be the most reliable for me and the QC to be higher than most brands.

I only have 2, but I long for many, many more.

There is just something a wee bit special about Italian pens.

Ian

I do like the looks of some others too, but often find myself making a reflection on them like this/// "but at that price I could almost buy a ..."

Its a strange and wonderful thing to love an art form... I do admire so many others but not to the point of parting with time and money....

Perhaps if I had more of each and was in a pen show ... and for now I am content and fulfilled....

Did I mention the last one incoming is a Omas Paragon..

drool.. lol

thanks

I know the MB tri hat pen (J Swift) had me almost seduced to my Germanic origins, but alas the cap would not post...

Then one thing lead to another....

My friend and trusted dealer info source here in Colorado buys only Pilot and Pelikan... from his point of view its all about the QC, but he too lusts Viscoti and longs for several models.. ha ha we will see.

Again I do not think they are BETTER, only my preference and thus better for myself

I have added two Viscontis to my collection since November, a Rembrandt and a Hall of Music, both medium nibs. Wow, I'm in love. One's a little too wet, though I'm pretty sure the ink is the issue (will be rectifying that the next time I need to refill). Both are absolutely beautiful.

which nibs? R they stainless or gold...

I really like Visconti pens but always just on the edge, my one an older version LE Michelangelo is very nice though.... I got priced out looking for the double res system power filler...

I spend my money almost exclusively on Aurora pens. I find their nibs to be the most reliable for me and the QC to be higher than most brands.

Aurora nibs have that special thing, don't they! Simply pens with personnality.

I have 18 Italian pens, most of which are Montegrappa pens. I find their F nibs are pretty much the same, but their M nibs behave quite differently. I wish I could get more Italians this year.

I love everything about the Auroras except, like the other better pens, the price! lol

Can an Aurora pen owner comment about the stainless nibs?

which nibs? R they stainless or gold...

I really like Visconti pens but always just on the edge, my one an older version LE Michelangelo is very nice though.... I got priced out looking for the double res system power filler...

Both of mine are steel, medium. I have a Diamine ink in the Hall of Music, and it's a wonderful fit. I have a DA in the Rembrandt that is just a bit "too much." Will switch out my favorite Iroshizuku when it's time for a refill.

Both of mine are steel, medium. I have a Diamine ink in the Hall of Music, and it's a wonderful fit. I have a DA in the Rembrandt that is just a bit "too much." Will switch out my favorite Iroshizuku when it's time for a refill.

thank you.. I thank you for the info.. Aurora has not been found.. but after starting a montegrappa restoration on the pen the Reminiscent??? model is based on I have wanted a Montegrappa....

So in the classifieds here I saw one, I always shop so while looking at other models I say a lower priced Piccolo..

talk about the silent pen, no reviews no comments nothing.. like it does not exist! Anyway.. an interesting combo.. Ill get pix into this thread and include it when it shows up....

Anyone have a MG Piccolo ?

Edited by freeboy

I have a silver silver Delta that was made for Nazareno Gabrielli, I think it's from the 90s: stilosa!

And a Manufactus that I bought from Cartoleria Pantheon in Rome. One of my favorite shops. I don't think it's a well-known brand but I really like this pen. It has some great weight, mother of pearl inlay and it writes wonderfully.

post-127576-0-34488800-1456303580_thumb.jpg

I love everything about the Auroras except, like the other better pens, the price! lol

Can an Aurora pen owner comment about the stainless nibs?

I only have the Ipsilon stainless steel versions. I like the two I have, but they're different enough to make me think that it's better to be able to try them in a store, rather than just ordering online and hoping for the best. Both are F and one writes like a M, the other like an EF.

That may not reflect current production - I bought the pens under completely different circumstances.

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

Yes! I also believe that Aurora pens are very well made. They're just perfect :)

I agree. Forza Torino!!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

The one thing about some Italian pens that I find particularly annoying, and I think some people will agree with me, is the lack of ink view windows, particularly Visconti, Omas, and Montegrappa. Visconti is the most grievous offender, I think. They use such amazing filling systems and provide no way to tell how much ink is left. I don't think that it would take that much more design or take away from the look of the pen to add a window. I would rather have a C/C filler than a closed power filler that doesn't allow a view of the ink level any day of the week.

That being said, there are many limited edition pens (too rich for me) and brands like Aurora and Delta that provide good view of the ink level.

O.A.M.D.G.