Skyline Repair Tutorial

Wahlnut

OK this might be strange. But one of my Skylines (restored) didn't have its section shellaced. It arrived with the section not completely in place and I gave it a gentle push. The section clicked in place and it is so tight that it can't move at all. I wonder if this is too tight that it can cause the barrel to crack and how do I free the section if it needs a service in the future.

Edited by butangmucat

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Wahlnut

• Addertooth

• empyrean

• arellano81366

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for this post! I am into fountain pens since 2016 but I was not interested on vintage until Oct 2018. My first vintage was a Whal Eversharp Skyline, It is a beautiful and wet pen, price was affordable and with your information I was able to fix my pen!! Thank you so much!

Javier

• 5 months later...

I’ve always liked the look of the Skyline. I’ll be getting one soon. Yes, I’ll post pics

• 2 weeks later...

Four X Four,

If you bought one online, post the sales pictures; I would be interested in seeing them.

I snagged a pen and pencil Skyline today. Let me toss out the un-restored photos.

It looks like some gold plating work is in my future, and a bit of metal work, and some Sac work, and general cleaning.

I would like to toss in a bit of knowledge about the Gold Filled and Solid Gold versions of these pens. (Gold Award, Command Performance).

Common faults:

1. The barrel of the cap has frequently become detached from the celluloid shell with the threads underneath.

2. The section presses into a plastic piece (with the mating threads for the cap) which is pressed and crimped into the body shell, and may be quite loose. It only presses in about a quarter inch.

3. The metal is quite thin, and dents easily, some sellers will photograph their pens to minimize or obscure these faults.

4. Like all Skyline models, the wrapped around part of the clip on the derby bay have become detached and has a gap and is sprung out.

5. And the typical failure of the sac, with the tell-tale staining around the lever box.

The sample one pictured in the previous post had all of these faults, but they are repaired now.

Examine pictures of the metal shelled Skyline pens for these faults, they are easily remedied, but it helps if you are forewarned before the purchase.

The shell removes entirely from the pencil by simply unscrewing the tip piece where the lead come out, and sliding the barrel off. With a simple metal rod (rounded end), which is sized slightly smaller than the dented part of the barrel, you can easily press out most dings (go slowly and cautiously, taking multiple passes with a linear sliding motion). The fountain pens loose threaded plastic body piece is also a blessing, as it works out rather easily, and give you access to the inner shell of the fountain pen for straightening as well. Shellac can be used to secure the threaded part on the fountain pen after any other basic repairs.

Edited by Addertooth

I have a couple of questions about your post:

First:

2. The section presses into a plastic piece (with the mating threads for the cap) which is pressed and crimped into the body shell, and may be quite loose. It only presses in about a quarter inch.

I have a couple of the all metal gold-filled Skylines and mine both have a one piece component that comprises both the section and the threads for the cap. Is it possible that Eversharp changed from one arrangement to the other during the run of the pens?

Second:

The fountain pens loose threaded plastic body piece is also a blessing, as it works out rather easily, and give you access to the inner shell of the fountain pen for straightening as well. Shellac can be used to secure the threaded part on the fountain pen after any other basic repairs.

You seem to be saying that it is possible to access the body shell of the pen from the inside by removing the plastic piece, but my pens have an inner shell that prevents access to the exterior shell. Is there some way to do this that I am overlooking?

The Moonwalk Pen - honoring Apollo lunar landings
4-x-2-advertisement-copy-reduced-size.jp

On the Skyline Gold Award pictured about two posts up, the section pressed into the short plastic piece with the thread, and the part with the thread only went about 1/4, perhaps 3/8 inch into the metal skin. There was no celluloid/hard rubber/plastic inside of the metal skin. The Skyline pictured was not from the earlier runs, which are identified by a translucent band in the Section (which allows you to visualize remaining ink). The Section on the one which was pictured was black opaque hard rubber.

It is always possible that other production changes were made in the pen besides the section. I don't have enough exposure to say for sure. I derive there are a lot of other Skylines built like mine by seeing the obvious looseness of the connection between the metallic barrel, and the black threaded portion extending towards the section and nib. I have looked at a lot of pictures of the Gold Award, gold filled, and the 14k solid gold versions. Many of them have the same faults. Once you are looking for these faults, they stand out.

Look at the pictures of this "Command Performance" in this Ebay listing, and you will see many of the same faults listed above. Link below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Eversharp-Skyline-Command-Performance-Fountain-Pen-Pencil-Set-CL050/292306616918?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D96595cd55a01410599a1db6615f9efb2%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D264420142667%26itm%3D292306616918%26pg%3D2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac84d4168-b730-11e9-9380-74dbd180b6aa%7Cparentrq%3A5fd032d816c0aca473aca80ffff1e092%7Ciid%3A1