Pdx Pen Show

usqview

being new to fountain pens i have never been to a pen show and am really looking forward to it. i am wondering what to expect. great deals on vintage pens? free pocket protectors? ink fights breaking out every 30 minutes? i am getting excited. i think i might have to reserve a room at the embassy suites and make a weekend out of it.

anyone been to the pdx show and are going back?

cheers,

ryan

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Maja

• handlebar

• usqview

• david i

being new to fountain pens i have never been to a pen show and am really looking forward to it. i am wondering what to expect. great deals on vintage pens? free pocket protectors? ink fights breaking out every 30 minutes? i am getting excited. i think i might have to reserve a room at the embassy suites and make a weekend out of it.

cheers,

ryan

Small show. Spectacularly well run. Lots of nice pens. Friendly crowd. Portland is bit of shlep for me from NY just one week after Miami show, but had grand time there (reallY!) two years ago and hope to go this year.

david

I went to the show last year and had a great time! Well laid out,easy access,good parking across the street and downtown Portland to explore for those with time do so.A beautiful city and venue.Yes,i'm biased.But that's ok.You will agree.I also attended the LA show in february,which was fun.But so many people and a bit warm inside the building.Lots of pens.LOTS OF PENS!!!!

The Portland show coincides with the largest antique fair of the year at the Expo Center.So if you tire of the show,then go to the fair.It is HUGE!!!

Last years fair included 3 full buildings of antique dealers.Well wort it.

JD

I think Handlebar said it all, but...

I've been to all three of them, and they get better every year. By all means, make your reservations at the Embassy sooner rather than later (last year it was a very busy weekend in Portland).

The antique Expo is a must see, if you can tear yourself away from all of the really nice people and awesome pens at the show. You'll find a nice mix of vintage and modern. The PDX Pen Club is composed of friendly folk that know all the best places to hang out in the evenings, AND they have great pens for sale too :rolleyes: .

There have been great seminars every year. You'll find great deals on old and new pens, you'll meet a bunch of new friends, you may even find a pocket protector :roller1:

This is the perfect first show to attend because it's not too large (overwhelming), and not too small (you'll have plenty to see and do all weekend).

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Tom

thank you all for the input. i am looking forward to it. also, one other question- from what i have read it sounds like a good place to have an exsisting pen tuned and possibly reground. i have a pen that i would really like to have a trained professional tune and grind to a stub, would the pdx show be a good place to have this done at?

cheers,

ryan

I think Handlebar said it all, but...

I've been to all three of them, and they get better every year. By all means, make your reservations at the Embassy sooner rather than later (last year it was a very busy weekend in Portland).

The antique Expo is a must see, if you can tear yourself away from all of the really nice people and awesome pens at the show. You'll find a nice mix of vintage and modern. The PDX Pen Club is composed of friendly folk that know all the best places to hang out in the evenings, AND they have great pens for sale too :rolleyes: .

There have been great seminars every year. You'll find great deals on old and new pens, you'll meet a bunch of new friends, you may even find a pocket protector :roller1:

This is the perfect first show to attend because it's not too large (overwhelming), and not too small (you'll have plenty to see and do all weekend).

Hope to see you there!

Cheers,

Tom

I'm really hoping to go this year, as I have the kind of job where I can take a day off without having to win a lottery for one Friday off in July :rolleyes:

I've only been to the very first Portland Pen Show (in 2004), but it was so friendly and the people were so nice that I have to go back again. Hope to see you there, Jim! Maybe I can get a good deal on a Visconti pen at the show, like you did... :D

Ryan, I am not sure who (if anyone) will be at the show doing nib grinding. I know that in past years, John Mottishaw has come to Portland to sell nibs (and, I assume, take in pens to be reground in his workshop)....but I didn't see him doing "on-site" nib grinding at the actual show. You could email Carla Mortensen (her email is on the http://www.portlandpenshow.com website). Hope you can make it to the show!

I will attend if I am still around in Portland. If I do, it will be my first pen show ever. And if I do, should I bring the GF to act as the voice of reason and surrender control of my wallet to her?

Shortie

I'm really hoping to go this year, as I have the kind of job where I can take a day off without having to win a lottery for one Friday off in July :rolleyes:

I've only been to the very first Portland Pen Show (in 2004), but it was so friendly and the people were so nice that I have to go back again. Hope to see you there, Jim! Maybe I can get a good deal on a Visconti pen at the show, like you did... :D

Ryan, I am not sure who (if anyone) will be at the show doing nib grinding. I know that in past years, John Mottishaw has come to Portland to sell nibs (and, I assume, take in pens to be reground in his workshop)....but I didn't see him doing "on-site" nib grinding at the actual show. You could email Carla Mortensen (her email is on the http://www.portlandpenshow.com website). Hope you can make it to the show!

Indeed Maja,we will have to hook up.Maybe lunch,coffee,or something.As it gets closer,we can plane.

And John Mottishaw should be there again,as you have said.

Jim

Indeed Maja,we will have to hook up.Maybe lunch,coffee,or something.As it gets closer,we can plane.

And John Mottishaw should be there again,as you have said.

Jim

Sounds good! Portland has a lot of good places to eat... :drool: