New From Midori/travelers Company

bogiesan

Midori recently spun off the Travelers Notebook products into a separate company. If you drop into Goulet Pens you will see that the TN is no longer listed under the Midori brand but has its own product category.

Travelers' tenth anniversary is coming up and they've got a celebratory edition (that may be really difficult to own!). Seems to be a smaller mini size that comes in a cool commemorative tin. Looks totally impractical. But unique. There is also a lighter brown, camel-colored option coming soon in the regular and passport products.

http://www.travelers-company.com/products/10th-anniversary-can-set

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jimhughes

• bogiesan

• Ted A

• Cushy Butterfield

Bogiesan: Thank you for bringing this up. Once I saw the Mini Traveler, apx 2" x 2" I went ape. I had a long , helpful discussion with Rachel Goulet, as she had written the article for the Goulet Newsletter. She mentioned the same thing you did, pretty unique but unlikely to be very functional, I currently use a Mollie XS Volant and the Rhodia Side Stapled 3 x 4.75" Notebook. All (6-7) of which I purchased Midori like or Flapped leather covers for. This new Midori Mini was just up my alley. Ms Goulet mentioned she was going to post it on their social network last night to see how much interest there was for it. The apx Cost she mentioned was $38.00 for the set in a tin Commerative box.

If there are any other people who are interested in this weird sized Midori, please contact her at Goulet Pens. She will be placing a Midori Order tomorrow. Apparently only a few items will be produced in this limited series.

info@gouletpens.com.

Edited by jimhughes

I saw their recent blog entry describing the mini as not likely to sell well. I disagree. Traveler's Notebook fans are nuts about them. I'm certain they'd sell out instantly, maybe not quite as quickly as the blue PanAm units but fast. I can't tell from the photos if that tin would actually hold a regular TN. If it did, they'd go even faster.

I ride a recumbent, I play go, I use Macintosh so of course I use a fountain pen.

Traveler's Notebooks are both functional and decorative/collectible/customizable. There are a lot of people for whom the second use is primary who would love to have this as another "toy" to play with.

To hold a pen is to be at war. - Voltaire

If you go to the new web site, post rebranding: http://www.travelers-company.com/ you can see they demo that the paper refills for standard Traveler Cover fit in there perfectly. I'd highly encourage every Midori Fan to check this new web site out. Lots of interesting information for those of us with a Midori infection. Usual disclaimers apply, no affiliation, just an addicted fan of the Midori line.

I contacted The Journal Shop and they said:

'We're already getting a large interest in the 10th Anniversary Traveler’s Notebook, and are currently in the process of creating some sort of pre-order list.

The notebook will be available in Camel colour in the original size, passport size, and the mini size.

To keep up to date on information about the item, I would strongly recommend signing up to our newsletter, which you can do on our website www.thejournalshop.com.

If you make an account, you can also sign up to be notified of when the item comes in stock – we’re hoping mid-April – here http://www.thejournalshop.com/travelers-notebook-10th-anniversary-edition.

That last link is giving the error 404 message but probably worth re-trying.

Neat that the Camel colour will be a part of the regular line up! Now if only they'd bring the blue back... I'm sad I missed out on that one. If I'm lucky, maybe they'll add it to the line up for the 15th anniversary. :lol:

I think I saw the Pan Am edition, yesterday in my roaming. SWAG of the site was Journal Shop in the UK or pencils.jp in Tokio. An out of left field maybe is mymaido in San Francisco Burb. Might check on evilbay too, but it could be at a premium. Good hunting, Jim

On revisiting these sites, I think what I, probably, saw was a Midori Traveler picture ad, showing the Pan am edition. None of the sites I listed have one in stock. Ebay shows 2 12 piece options at $399 and $299. in price.

I apologize for inducing a false euphoria that a reasonably priced one is out there.. Several people on etsy offer Faux Dori's in both Traveler and Passport size in blue. I got a very pretty bright blue Faux dori in passport size from Chic Sparrow and another group out of Taiwan. Prices and quality excellent. Usual disclaimers apply, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer.

Edited by jimhughes

The PanAm blue sold out in a few days.They could have sold ten times as many. There have been a couple of special editions, IIRC, it was for a ferry called Star. Was that the fifth anniversary? There's a post her on fpn, I think. They were camel and sold almost out quickly but the notebook was not quite the fad it is now.

• 1 month later...

Well, it just arrived (via Rakuten Japan) and I have to say at the moment I'm totally underwhelmed.

Yes, I knew it was going to be small, I'd even measured it out on paper and tried how much writing I could get on it before I ordered it. But though I may learn to love it, I don't at the moment. For a start, the second elastic can't hold a refill because it ruches it up. And the knot on the back is as big as those on its big sisters. That at least I can hopefully remedy once I find the u-tube video on how to tie a flat knot like I did with the others.

Just not feeling the love. :bawl:

I mocked up a similar size "fauxdori" when it was announced, and came to the conclusion it was a purchase for the very keen completist and collector type. Now in fairness I could be mistaken for the completist and collector type in many lights, but evidently not keen enough in this case. As far as the knot goes, I don't know whether something like this might work for you?

Does anyone own both the full size TN and the passport size? if so, do you use both equally? and why do you own both?

Does anyone own both the full size TN and the passport size? if so, do you use both equally? and why do you own both?

Yes, I own and use both.

The full size is my calendar, doctors notes, expected deliveries, business card file, post it notes, etc... It is carried in my messenger bag.

The passport has a notebook, credit card holders, Kraft file, zipper pocket and it is always with me in my left pocket.

So they both have their purposes and it just works for me.

Chris

Carpe Stylum!