I've had a very good run with inexpensive Chinese pens such as Jinhao, Baoer and Wing Sung. I have a couple of dozen such pens and every one has been a winner ... working perfectly from the day they arrived.
I suppose that run had to come to an end sometime and today it did with my newly arrived Kaigelu 316 ... which ironically is a slightly more expensive Chinese cheap pen.
The pen looks great ... I love the look and feel of it and wasted no time inking it up with some Pelikan 4001 Turquoise.
The pen wrote very nicely for about a paragraph ... and then dropped a large blob of ink on the page. Looking at the nib I could see another large drop forming but managed to grab a paper towel before it dripped onto the page.
Back at my desk I held the pen vertically, nib down, over the open bottle of Pelikan Turquoise and watched as over a period of less than a minute the entire contents of the converter dripped off the nib and back into the bottle.
My first reaction was to give the pen a good flush. I did this then repeated the drip test using water rather than ink. Same result ... water gushing out, a full converter emptying in a minute or so.
I turned my attention to the converter suspecting an air leak. Dismantled, inspected, silicon greased it, etc. all to no avail.
Next step was to remove the nib and feed.
The nib and feed on these pens are a friction fit so I gripped the section in one hand and the nib in the other using some gripping material and gave a pull. With hardly any effort the nib and feed came out ... complete with the entire feed collar!
The feed collar should be fixed (glued) but on inspection I can see that there might have once been a few molecules of glue waved in the general vicinity.
Using the gripping material I managed to pull the nib and feed out of the collar. Everything looks fine.
I suspect that when the converter is screwed into the pen it is pushing the entire feed, nib and collar out of place, possibly resulting in a poor seal/air leak. So my next move will be to glue the feed collar firmly in place with some epoxy.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully I can fix it as currently it is my only unusable pen
<edited to fix the inevitable typos>
Edited by AndyKeir, 17 February 2016 - 09:11.