Identify Imperial/triumph Sheaffer

Buttonboy

I always think of the squared ends barrels as correct for the touchdown models .... Gotta be able to unscrew the blind cap. We do see the squared and rounded top caps mixed quite a bit in our NOS inventory.

Yes, about the "quasi-imperial" moniker -- guilty as charged. I just resist calling them "Triumph White Dot" ......

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Happy Harry

• mitto

• Buttonboy

• terim

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I always think of the squared ends barrels as correct for the touchdown models .... Gotta be able to unscrew the blind cap. We do see the squared and rounded top caps mixed quite a bit in our NOS inventory.

Yes, about the "quasi-imperial" moniker -- guilty as charged. I just resist calling them "Triumph White Dot" ......

So do you think, terim, that the round ended barrel on my CC Imperial VI is correct?

Khan M. Ilyas

I do not want to appear thick but I am not clear what gold "fiiled" means. Happy Harry mentioned this earlier in the tread. I have "fluted" and "striated" Sheaffers but I dont think I have come across this particular descripion.

Ian

I do not want to appear thick but I am not clear what gold "fiiled" means. Happy Harry mentioned this earlier in the tread. I have "fluted" and "striated" Sheaffers but I dont think I have come across this particular descripion.

Ian

See here for the definitions of 'Gold Filled', 'Rolled Gold' and 'Gold Plated' (along other things).

http://parkerpens.net/codekey.html

Khan M. Ilyas

Named triumphs by Sheaffer and quasi - Imperial by the collector community.

I think more a case of people not knowing the model name, I wouldn't bother making up a name when they already have a name. I think the collectors generally call these pens Triumphs.

The "quasi" is just a modifier to the Imperial description, not intended as an actual product name. For us it's short hand for Imperial-like. We try not to use the expression without mentioning its non-official status.

The "quasi" is just a modifier to the Imperial description, not intended as an actual product name. For us it's short hand for Imperial-like. We try not to use the expression without mentioning its non-official status.

I find that confusing. Triumph is shorter than Quasi-Imperial. I looked at your web site and find : Sheaffer 440 ( Quasi-Imperial). Why not correctly describe it as a Sheaffer Triumph 440 as Sheaffer did ? I just don't see any value in spreading an incorrect name through the hobby, I even see sellers on ebay using quasi-imperial !!

Sheaffer made many, many pens that follow the original design started with the 1960 Target and continued with names including Imperial, Lifetime, Triumph, Triumph Imperial, and so on from 1960 until the late 1990s. Among these pens, Sheaffer fitted various nib units, including multiple conical and inlaid types, short and long clips, differently shaped caps and barrels, and multiple filling systems. To make matters worse, there are many examples I can think of that have incorrect cap/barrel swaps. Sheaffer catalogs across the nearly 40 years are not 100% available, so collectors struggle with what to call these pens, when they are trying to be accurate with model names and numbers.

In my opinion, I don't mind them all being called Imperials or Triumphs as a general name, as they do all appear to have a family resemblance. That said, there is likely someone who may have information on the particular pen's provenance, including model name and catalog number, and I am always happy to know it.

Let's all make sure we approach this as being helpful to each other.

The history section on sheaffertarga.com clearly documents the names ( taken from '74 UK retail price list) of these in the current discussion quiet well. I have little problem with common usage of calling them all Imperials but I'm not keen on adding to the confusion with made up names when the correct can be used instead. For the sake of "correctness" the correct name should be promoted where possible imo. From that site.

http://www.sheaffertarga.com/Imperial%20and%20Triumph/Scanned%20Images/triumph%20550.jpg