2016 La Pen Show Report

AltecGreen

If the Duofold is a Senior size you did well at 126 restored.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AltecGreen

• Cryptos

• tknechtel

• Cyber6

I'm entering my second year of pen shows, and third year of the whole world of fountain pens. I go to the Ohio Pen Show and the Chicago Pen Show. Adding to what others have said:

1. It will take you more than one round of the entire show to see everything. Each pass will have you discovering something you missed the previous round.

2. As an attendee, don't expect to come and sell pens for a premium price. It's likely that the people you want to sell to are also business people, who are looking to buy low and sell high.

3. My observations are that the *really* collectible high end pens are being bought/sold at private deals and showings in the lobby of the hotel.

4. Prices are everywhere (see #1). You will find pens priced too high, and the same pens laying on another table at a bargain. Each dealer has their perceived value of some pens. Esterbrooks can be found from $10 (and I found a lot of nice ones) to $50+.

5. If you have the full pass, and I recommend that, try to go to the auctions. Prices there will also be polarizing, and you see some cool pens. Also, don't pass up the chance to sit in on some of the sessions, which are invaluable learning.

6. Pens EVERYWHERE! (again, see #1). There is so much cool stuff, and I have found the dealers to be really friendly and helpful - even if I now seem to owe Paul Erano $15 when I get to Chicago for my Black Pen Society membership - and are more than willing to spend some time with anyone asking questions.

7. I can almost guarantee that you will find something you've been looking for, come home with more than you planned, and have a great time.

One of the best parts of the shows I've been to have been to put names to faces. Which is why, if it's a show with name tags (even the "Hello! My name is" stick-on label types), I'll put my FPN screen name on it. I'm much more likely to find people with whom I've had conversations in various threads that way.

My budget for the last couple of shows I've been to were less about getting more pens (although I did :rolleyes:) and more about getting some of the ones I have repaired. Or trying to get information about them. And invariably some dealer will say, "Oh, you need to go to so-and-so's table for that." And when that happens two or three times concerning the same pen (and the same repair person or expert in X brand), you think -- "Okay. I guess that's the person to go to...."

And then you get another face to go along with another name. :thumbup: And you also get another piece to the puzzle about that no-name with the really awesome nib, maybe. And you also start making the little mental notes about who specializes in what (because there's just so much to know about all the different brands, and the different types of fill systems that even the "experts" can get stumped sometimes and sit there telling you "I've never *seen* one of these before...." or "I wasn't expecting THAT nib". And then you're sent off to another table: "I can't get the jewel on this cap removed -- take it back over to the guy who sent you to me to see if he can...." And you've forged yet another connection, and put another face to a name.... And maybe learned something about a pen in the process. :)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

One of the best parts of the shows I've been to have been to put names to faces.

Or vice versa.

Honestly, two of the very best moments in LA, for me, have FPN connections. First, I made a plan to at least get a little bit of facetime with Bill Sexauer, who has been of immeasurable help to me over the years, primarily here, in my traversals through Targas (and Sheaffers in general). What a treat to hang with him a bit, chat, walk around the room, and he introduced me to Garry Ellison (of sheaffertarga.com) which was a total bonus.

The other thing was a plan of mine to get a good handshake and hello with Ron Zorn, who not only sold me my first pen (as I got into it all, 6 years ago), but who has given mountains of help in his replies to repair topics, and I've admired his work in the larger pen community.

These kind of things really only occur, or occur in such magnitude, at the pen shows. One can't state it enough: "you come for the pens, you stay for the people!"

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick; and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

1. It will take you more than one round of the entire show to see everything. Each pass will have you discovering something you missed the previous round.

One thing to be careful of, particularly with vintage pens is that they may not be there on your second pass. I've become something of a two-trick pony (Diamond Points and Mabie Todds), and went racing from table to table to find gems. There were some that I wasn't going to let pass, and I negotiated and bought them, but there were a few that I either didn't like the price, was lukewarm on them, etc. I figured I'd get back to the sellers. After all, each table had hundreds of pens, who would want something so obscure?

When I got back to the tables, they were gone. One was a Collegian (made by Diamond Point), and the other a Long/Short.

If you know very precisely what you want, and its somewhat uncommon and not subject to competition between multiple sellers with the same thing, shamelessly grab it up. You may not see it again.

One thing to be careful of, particularly with vintage pens is that they may not be there on your second pass. I've become something of a two-trick pony (Diamond Points and Mabie Todds), and went racing from table to table to find gems. There were some that I wasn't going to let pass, and I negotiated and bought them, but there were a few that I either didn't like the price, was lukewarm on them, etc. I figured I'd get back to the sellers. After all, each table had hundreds of pens, who would want something so obscure?

When I got back to the tables, they were gone. One was a Collegian (made by Diamond Point), and the other a Long/Short.

If you know very precisely what you want, and its somewhat uncommon and not subject to competition between multiple sellers with the same thing, shamelessly grab it up. You may not see it again.

Good call :thumbup:

Have made this error too!

There is a related concept (that does border on rationalization, but still...) that you will never regret buying the pen that you paid a bit too much for, but you will always regret the one you let get away because it was a bit overpriced.

I have two pens in my collection that I have never seen FS again that I know I paid "too much" for, but I'd do it again happily.

greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

There is a related concept (that does border on rationalization, but still...) that you will never regret buying the pen that you paid a bit too much for, but you will always regret the one you let get away because it was a bit overpriced.

I have a completely different approach on this. If I "miss" the pen that it was a tad overpriced, I believe that pen was not meant for me and I don't spend another second thinking on it. ;)

On the other hand, grabbing a pen that I was not too enthused on the price, has a way to keep coming back to me. So, I avoid those. :D

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

Yes, that sometimes does happen. But OTOH I waited until Sunday morning for a couple of pens when I was at the Ohio Pen show a few months ago -- and not only were the pens still there, but the sellers came down a bit on the prices. One was that Blue Laidtone Duofold with the semi-flex oblique nib. I hit that table first thing, as soon as I got through the doors (do not pass Go, do not collect $200... :rolleyes:).

So it really is a case of YMMV.

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Yes, that sometimes does happen. But OTOH I waited until Sunday morning for a couple of pens when I was at the Ohio Pen show a few months ago -- and not only were the pens still there, but the sellers came down a bit on the prices. One was that Blue Laidtone Duofold with the semi-flex oblique nib. I hit that table first thing, as soon as I got through the doors (do not pass Go, do not collect $200... :rolleyes:).

So it really is a case of YMMV.

THAT actually happens to me all the time. I think I have a good idea of a price point. Thankfully, most pen enthusiast also have a good idea of price point. If you see a good deal.. GRAB it..

If you are not crazy about the price, come back later... chances are, if the pen still there.. the vendor will be more amenable to drop the price. Best deals are made 30 minutes before door closes. :lol: :lol:

C.

fpn_1481652911__bauerinkslogo03.jpg
**** BauerInks.ca ****

**** MORE.... Robert Oster Signature INKS ****

**** NICK STEWART - KWZI INKs TEST ****

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it's the illusion of knowledge." -Stephen Hawking,

I have two pens in my collection that I have never seen FS again that I know I paid "too much" for, but I'd do it again happily.

greg

So true!

Alas, the problem is that when you're starting out, you don't really have a handle on which pens are going to prove so elusive.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing . . . .

So true!

Alas, the problem is that when you're starting out, you don't really have a handle on which pens are going to prove so elusive.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing . . . .

greg

There are exactly 2 pens I regret not buying because they were overpriced. I don't really remember buying overpriced pens for more than a week.

In other words you ultimately regret not buying a pen more than you buying another.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Sorry to ask this again, for those who are blessed to be able to choose whatever they like at a pen show, but on average how much would a Waterman 52 cost at a show. A simple black one in reasonable condition with a soft fine/extra fine nib capable of expanding to say BB in width. Doesn't have to be a wet noodle but would have to be easy flex.

Asking this because at present the options are:

1. eBay.

2. Websites dealing with "special" pens..

In #1 prices vary but generally go over $100 - and that's without any guarantee of a decent nib, an accurate description, or even a complete pen. And both sellers and buyers can exhibit astounding degrees of greed.

In #2 there are better guarantees but the prices are rather disgusting to start with, often in excess of $400.

So, what about at a big pen show?

EoC has seen the odd thing turn up in the classifieds here, often for less than $200 and from reputable sellers. Alas, EoC is never quick enough to see them, let alone acquire them,

At some point this year, EoC would like to buy one. Just one! EoC is not a collector, and may not even keep it (depending on how it feels in hand). What EoC would like is for someone to suggest a fair price for such a pen.

Anyway, the information from the pen shows would be very useful, as a bargaining tool of nothing else.

Sorry to ask this again, for those who are blessed to be able to choose whatever they like at a pen show, but on average how much would a Waterman 52 cost at a show. A simple black one in reasonable condition with a soft fine/extra fine nib capable of expanding to say BB in width. Doesn't have to be a wet noodle but would have to be easy flex.

Asking this because at present the options are:

1. eBay.

2. Websites dealing with "special" pens..

In #1 prices vary but generally go over $100 - and that's without any guarantee of a decent nib, an accurate description, or even a complete pen. And both sellers and buyers can exhibit astounding degrees of greed.

In #2 there are better guarantees but the prices are rather disgusting to start with, often in excess of $400.

So, what about at a big pen show?

EoC has seen the odd thing turn up in the classifieds here, often for less than $200 and from reputable sellers. Alas, EoC is never quick enough to see them, let alone acquire them,

At some point this year, EoC would like to buy one. Just one! EoC is not a collector, and may not even keep it (depending on how it feels in hand). What EoC would like is for someone to offer a fair price for such a pen.

Anyway, the information from the pen shows would be very useful, as a bargaining tool of nothing else.

IMO, at a good sized pen show, you should be able to find the pen you describe for around $100 if you look.

You won't find it described and hyped as a flex pen at that price. You'll find it as a 52 among many other pens.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.

• 2 months later...

I was researching something else and landed here on this thread. I glad I came. This is a wonderful pen show report - well organized, linear and articulate. An A+ effort if I ever saw one. Thank you so much.

• 1 year later...