Loaner "51"s And Journals

Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri,

Add a Grey Parker "51" Vac with Lusterloy Cap that I was going to sell at the Raleigh Show as a user pen...

I will give this one to Richard also at Raleigh....

It has been restored, but he can tweak the nib a bit....

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruaidhri

• HDoug

• sheafferkid

• jd50ae

Hey Ruaidhri! I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I was wondering how everything is coming along with this great idea. So far, is it running smoothly? Where are we at in the queue right now? Is the 3rd "51" back from Richard? Just thought I (and perhaps other people in the line) might want to know how its coming. Thanks!

Evan

Good a place as any Evan :)

It is far from running smoothly I'm afraid.

My last update was:

Update:

1 x "51" with Richard

2 x "51"s arrived in Dublin

2 x Journals arrived in Dublin

More details anon.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

Received to date:

"51" Black/Lustraloy (polished) aero from Oxonian1

"51" Black/Lustraloy (polished) vac from Paircon012

Journal (Celtic) from Mary A

Journal (Moleskine) from DilettanteG

1De-dinged, cleaned & polished and will be heading to Richard in the next day or two.

2This I discovered has sentimental attachment and I am simply tidying it up and returning it. I would not be happy taking a chance on losing it, although it was a lovely thought (that it might make people more careful). Bill has kindly offered me another to replace it. :embarrassed_smile:

The other "51" (from Larry) is with OldGriz who will be passing it on to Richard at the Raleigh Pen Show.

I will pick up another two journals myself but, unfortunately, the only "51"s I have at the moment have various sentimental attachments.

The original that started the whole business way back seems to be gone. Several mails have gone unanswered as has a letter sent by registered post.

Pity it was one of my own countrymen!

If anyone else has sent pens/journals will they please contact me.

Meantime I'll have a look around and see if I can pick up another "51" or two somewhere.

I'm still prepared to make this work, and Richard tells me he is as well. This is NOT going away :)

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

I'm sorry to hear this Ruaidhri...if there's anything I can do to help ya out, just send me a PM or email. I will keep an eye out for "51"s whenever I'm at a flea market, estate sale, or antique store!

Evan

Sheaffer all the way!

Thanks folks - really nice to see everyone pulling together :)

When I said keep the price as low as possible Tom, I wasn't hinting - thanks mate!!

Got a couple of promising PMs so when the show is over I'll update again.

I'll pick up the other two journals tomorrow.

Regards (and thank you all again),

Ruaidhrí

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers

I have plenty of journals going unused. If you still need one or two, let me know and I'll send it (them) off to you.

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

I have plenty of journals going unused. If you still need one or two, let me know and I'll send it (them) off to you.

Appreciate the offer Tricia - I have the journal end of things under control.

Just need to sort out the pens !

Fond regards,

Ruaidhrí

• 1 month later...

Personal (and friendly) visits can offer clear up confusion straight away. We are getting more members across the UK and I am sure than many travel about. Perhaps they can't get out to post it and would appreciate someone being able to help them.

How about a county to be going on with?

Edited by AndyHayes

• 2 weeks later...

Anything new from the "Traveling 51-berrys" (I apologize to the Traveling Wilburys, but I HAD TO DO IT..SATAN IS IN THE ROOM WITH ME!!!)???

Would love to know how the folks being...er...indoctrinatied...into the wonders of the P51 are enjoying their "test writes"....

Bill

I would like to be added to a future list. I have a 61, but have yet to write with a 51.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Update.

Firstly - my apologies. We have had a couple of illness (still on-going) to deal with here at home, and a number of things have had to be 'put on the back boiler' temporarily.

I would like to emphasise that any delay in this project is my responsibility alone - everyone else involved has been much more reliable!

I have two pens to go to Richard then we are off. Journals are ready. Hopefully they will go over this week, and I'll post again when that has been done.

As soon as I have the four pens back and ready to post out I'll ask for an update from people on this list - are you still "51"-less etc then we can get going.

Again - apologies.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí

• 1 month later...

I'm getting the impression that this may be a list I should desire to be a part of.....is this a list of Parker 51 hopeful receipiants? I need more info.....

Since I'm a "newbie" to the world of fountain pens, I suppose some may say I'm "not worthy" but I'd like to find a Parker 51 that I could use daily, since so many have stated that they feel it is the "must have" of all the brands.

Costs? details?

-Soupy1957

Pens I currently own: (New Models, not antique)

Waterman "Phileas"

Sheaffer "Agio"

Parker "Latitude"

"Those whose hands have penned great thoughts, have also held an infant and touched an elderly cheek."

-S.Campbell

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to be a part of this if ever availed the opportunity.

"The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."  - Selwyn Duke    

• 1 month later...

I am not looking to join the loaner program (I have two 51s already and a third in the shop awaiting a new nib, so no need to experience the wonders of the 51). But I am curious about the progress of the traveling 51s. Are they safe? Have the borrowers been swayed to join the cult?

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Because I am so new to this forum I am not looking to join the list (yet) but I too would like to know how it is going. This is by far the most wonderful thing I have read about on a forum and I do keep up with about three others besides this one. I am just looking forward to reading what is in the journals! Lashelle

• 4 months later...

I would like to try a "51". They are too expensive to buy and then be disappointed. The problem I have with pens is my fingers slide down toe the end of the barrell so I wind up holding the flair at the end. Just looking at a "51" makes me doubt it would work for me. I really am of the opoinion that the hopala is just hype; trying one would let me see. Otherwise I am not likely to buy one.

So how do I sign up?

What happened to this effort? I'd love the opportunity to try a different pen and would be glad to pay the round trip shipping to do so...

Does anybody do loaner pens? I know it is risky but I'd put up collateral to try a new pen or two :D

EP

Pelikan M200 medium NIB & Noodler's Blue/Black

Lamy Safari Limited Edition Black w/ 1.5mm stub NIB & Noodler's Forest Green

Yes, a little update on the pens & journals would be wonderful. I'm #16 on Ruaidhrí's list. Is it going as planned? I still think this is a fantastic and very generous idea. Tell us more!

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

• 2 weeks later...

Could somebody explain what this is all about? I read the thread and am somewhat confused. Why would folks part with a nice pen? I guard mine like a junkyard dog.

Have thought about a Parker 51 or 21, but have not taken the plunge. Is this list full...please help me understand

• 3 weeks later...

Did this project ever get off the ground? I think I am on the list of journal recipients, but I have heard nothing.

/Tojusi

• 2 weeks later...

Those of you who know me have a rough idea of how things are. To the others please be patient.

Pen and Journal number 1 have already been sent off, but all has gone silent.

Having lost one "51" to an earlier attempt, obviously I am reluctant to go any further until I know what's happened.

And PLEASE don't start a guessing game folks - there probably is a very good reason for this.

Fingers crossed.

Regards,

Ruaidhrí