Parker 51; Why Not Bring It Back?

Desert Rider

Peter, I think there is no place here on this forum for us poor South Asians. We shall say good bye.

I think there's a place for everyone here.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mitto

• pajaro

• FarmBoy

• Flounder

Thank you, pajaro. But why the taunt when it comes to discussing pen collecting or buying / selling issues in our POOR countries? I can't understand denial of facts with no solid counter evidence.

Khan M. Ilyas

Go ahead and use them. I inked and used a few NOS 51s I bought about twenty years ago for $5, $5, and $40 at garage sales I found when I was out jogging. Nice to keep money in a jogging wallet.

I think some younger people always want a new pen and haven't gotten used to buying a used pen and enjoying it. So they want the 51 brought back. Well, people, if the 51 is brought back the next incarnation is not going to be precisely as it was in the 1940s and 1950s. It would be made with current methods and would have all the features of modern Parker. The best you could hope for would probably be C/C filling with lacquered metal barrel and cap and (hopefully) no holes in the inner cap a la Sonnet. It would not be the same. I would be perfectly willing to spend zero dollars on it. I prefer the vintage 51s I know and love. My first pen, and the very best pen I have ever used.

I agree. We don't want some new version of sonnet in the name of 51 reissue. And, I too use all my NOS pens because resale has never been on my mind.

Khan M. Ilyas

Thank you, pajaro. But why the taunt when it comes to discussing pen collecting or buying / selling issues in our POOR countries? I can't understand denial of facts with no solid counter evidence.

I think the comment was intended differently or my take is a bit different. I believe the upset comes from having a strong local source for pens in a captive market in which there are few buyers, resulting in cheap pens for you to buy.

Or you are getting good deals and I am jealous.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

I think the comment was intended differently or my take is a bit different. I believe the upset comes from having a strong local source for pens in a captive market in which there are few buyers, resulting in cheap pens for you to buy.

Or you are getting good deals and I am jealous.

+1

I am at fault. I, too, shouldn't have those 'good deals' if someone else is not getting them.

Apologies.

Khan M. Ilyas

+1

I am at fault. I, too, shouldn't have those 'good deals' if someone else is not getting them.

Apologies.

You can always buy them and send them to me!

I hunt pens, I have 20 or so buyers, I am connected with a half-dozen people that run Estate Sales, I partner with other pen people on collections, I go to 30-40 antique markets a year not to mention pen functions and I hand out business cards like candy. I find a few pens and it upsets a few people, sometimes I get nothing and a few people seem to enjoy that. I don't really disclose how many or what I find, keeps people guessing and seems to upset them even more. There are a few people that truly enjoy it when I find something good, I tend to enjoy it when someone I know finds a great pen in the wild, even more so if I get a chance to buy it.

Keep sharing the finds, it makes me look a little harder at the next event!

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

You can always buy them and send them to me!

I hunt pens, I have 20 or so buyers, I am connected with a half-dozen people that run Estate Sales, I partner with other pen people on collections, I go to 30-40 antique markets a year not to mention pen functions and I hand out business cards like candy. I find a few pens and it upsets a few people, sometimes I get nothing and a few people seem to enjoy that. I don't really disclose how many or what I find, keeps people guessing and seems to upset them even more. There are a few people that truly enjoy it when I find something good, I tend to enjoy it when someone I know finds a great pen in the wild, even more so if I get a chance to buy it.

Keep sharing the finds, it makes me look a little harder at the next event!

Thank you FarmBoy. I truly appreciate your support.

Khan M. Ilyas

Peter, I think there is no place here on this forum for us poor South Asians. We shall say good bye.

Khan, this forum would be very much the poorer without your input. We value your membership.

Peter

+1

Apologies.

Mitto,

You can always share the pens with your cousin ;)

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail 

Mitto,

You can always share the pens with your cousin ;)

Ahlan Wa Sahlan Ya ibn al 'Amm. Thank you, northstar.

Khan M. Ilyas

If Parker doesn't want to re-issue the 51 they could always sell the design to the new Esterbrook people. I'm sure that group could get something out that would look ever so vaguely like a Parker 51. At least it would probably have "Parker 51" emblazoned on the barrel.

I guess I'd better get me coat... http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smilies/bolt.gif

:lol:

Rationalizing pen and ink purchases since 1967.

I couldn't find any information about posting a completed eBay listing here. This is an example of why bringing back the 51 is probably pointless as almost mint examples can be found below $100 (and if patient, much much lower, or if one has access to better flea markets than what's available in my city and surroundings).

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252347707564?euid=a439a6bff3c94e38b9d0c2201438d084&cp=1

Would you consider this a good deal?

Edited by kapanak

If you look at what the "New Esterbrook" group are doing you will see that there are always people who see advantage in pulling the lever when the lightning is in the sky (a Frankenstein reference for those who are experiencing a Friday fug). :D

If Parker doesn't want to re-issue the 51 they could always sell the design to the new Esterbrook people. I'm sure that group could get something out that would look ever so vaguely like a Parker 51. At least it would probably have "Parker 51" emblazoned on the barrel.

I guess I'd better get me coat... http://fpgeeks.com/forum/images/smilies/smilies/bolt.gif

A Neo-Estie Parker 51 ! But who would buy such a 51 and for what price?

Khan M. Ilyas

Farmboy would buy it...

... assuming it had a decent box. :lticaptd:

A nicely tarted up box with a Chinese C/C pen inside. Better than the Chinese pens I have had, which came without the luxury of an eye candy box. :)

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."

A nicely tarted up box with a Chinese C/C pen inside. Better than the Chinese pens I have had, which came without the luxury of an eye candy box. :)

Up until recently, if you bought one of the Jinhao Commemorative or Dragon pens, it came in a nice lacquered box with a bamboo scroll. Sadly they have downsized to cardboard boxes, except for the top end.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzQwWDc0MA==/z/aPEAAOxy0uZR3FxP/$T2eC16d,!yME9s5qIGLfBR3F)OW(s!~~60_12.JPG

I think the green item is a jade or faux-jade pen stand.

If you're interested in a pen that weighs 120 grams (4 oz), 8 times more than a P51, this is the eBay item

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Up until recently, if you bought one of the Jinhao Commemorative or Dragon pens, it came in a nice lacquered box with a bamboo scroll. Sadly they have downsized to cardboard boxes, except for the top end.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzQwWDc0MA==/z/aPEAAOxy0uZR3FxP/$T2eC16d,!yME9s5qIGLfBR3F)OW(s!~~60_12.JPG

I think the green item is a jade or faux-jade pen stand.

If you're interested in a pen that weighs 120 grams (4 oz), 8 times more than a P51, this is the eBay item

Nice box. I suppose the pen is attractive to those who like fancy pens. I couldn't imagine paying that much for a Jinhao. More and more I am stepping back from other pens and using Parker 51 pens from 1940s to 1970s vintage, and a few Montblanc 144s. The pens I used before discovering the FPN modern pen delusions network. All those other pens are going into boxes and pen cups. Go ahead and bring back a revisionist 51. I am not going to buy one. No more than a revisionist Chinese Esterbrook.