Looking For A Thin Pen

xotix

Hi,

Excuse my bad English. I'm currently studying math/physics, so I write quiet a lot. The problem is, I still haven't found a pen (or anything different I can write with) which satisfies me fully. I also have no clue about pens.

I really like pens like: Ecco Pigment 0.1mm from Faber Castell or any other similar 0.1mm pen. I quiet dislike anything in the "normal" size, e.g. a Stabilo (which is usually 0.3mm), it's just annoying doing maths/physics with such a big nib.

The problem with all the 0.1mm pens I've tried is, that after a few weeks you can throw them into the bin because the nib get's pushed "inwards". It obviously doesn't need much strength to break them :/ I also dislike ballpens - I've never tried a expensive one but usually the line is not that clear as it is with the Faber Castell.

You see, I have no clue about all this - I just want a fine pen which is refillable and which lasts for a long time :/ I really try to write soft but I keep breakign them...

Hope anyone can suggest some pens :) Thanks

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• AndyKeir

• dogpoet

• Sasha Royale

• flipper_gv

Top Posters In This Topic

You are Arnold Schwarzenegger. You are pushing down much too hard. :angry:

:gaah: Bending nibs. :wallbash:

You are also more than likely holding your pen much too high, like a ball point.

It should be held at 45 degrees behind the big index knuckle, at 40 degrees at the start of the web of the thumb or if heavy or long rest in the pit of the thumb at 35 degrees.

Having the pen rest where it will between 45-40 degrees, allows the pen to float of a small puddle of ink, like it should. Holding it like a ball point means you are making furrows in the paper like you are plowing a field. Of course then you press much too hard....too often, bending your nib.

It is not a ball point so must not be held like it is.

Take 3 minutes...well first look up Classic Tripod Grip...then hold your fountain pen like a fountain pen.

Don't feel bad....a great many come on to the com holding a fountain pen like a ball point with complaints of it skips, it bends, it's scratchy and so on.

In you want a pen to write baby spiderwebs...you need a good glass 10 X loupe to see the XXXF(western or XXF Japanese) point you want. Something that narrow can be knocked out of alignment easy.

It's no big deal, press down from the breather hole the up nib...3-4 seconds 3-4 times. That should do it.

It will be easier to find super narrow nibs with Japanese nibs, and Pilot makes the skinniest Japanese nibs.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

From your narrative, you are "heavy-handed", and you break fountain pens.

Buy a package of these and break them. Eventually, you will learn to use a lighter hand in writing.

Meanwhile, try these - -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Set-Hero-266-0-38mm-Reservoir-Fountain-Pen-Fine-Titanium-Nib-Silver-/131562414717?hash=item1ea1bb227d:g:42MAAOSwYGFU1GZz

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Are drafting pens as susceptible to breaking from pressure? If the steel tube on those is more resilient than a fountain pen nib, maybe a rapidograph (I think that's the version that uses cartridges) might suit?

The references to "0.1mm" aroused my suspicions. I think the OP is talking about fibre tip pens, not fountain pens.

The Faber-Castell Ecco Pigment 0.1mm mentioned is a fibre tip.

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

^He wants a fountain pen with the smallest point possible I think

He may well be seeking a very fine fountain pen ... but at least some of the respondents have assumed that he's bending fountain pen nibs :)

Andy sang as he watched and waited 'til his billy boiled ...

(With apologies to Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson)

Just in case the OP is inclined to bend fountain pen nibs, I suggest maybe trying a Platinum Preppy 0.2 to begin with. Small investment, should it not prove successful.

Maybe you could try one (or more) of the really fine gel pens from Japan, e.g. this one.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

(I purchased ten Hero 616's for just under ten bucks and I'm still using the first one. It's showing no sign of slowing down.)

So yes xotix, it certainly sounds like you have developed (as I did) a 'death grip' on pens and write with enough pressure to make indentations on paper four layers under the one you're actually writing on, not to mention, warping the nibs.

It took me some time to re-learn how to hold a pen, write with minimal pressure and loosen up the muscles of my hand. It can be done. Practice, practice, practice...

Ink has something in common with both money and manure. It's only useful if it's spread around.

The references to "0.1mm" aroused my suspicions. I think the OP is talking about fibre tip pens, not fountain pens.

The Faber-Castell Ecco Pigment 0.1mm mentioned is a fibre tip.

My experience with fibre-tip pens is that they don't last very long at at.

Something like a '60s Sheaffer Imperial II or III, having the short conical Triumph nib, will be a lot more durable than any fibre tip. My Imperial III (once I replace the recently-failed sac) is an XF, and would work just right for math/physics sort of writing with lots of super- and sub-scripts and snide marginal notes.

The pen was NOS, with an original sac that lasted about a year before it sprang a leak. Once fixed, it should be good for a couple decades, easy.

Edited by Water Ouzel

+1 on something with a Sheaffer Triumph Nib XF or Accountant nib. I have a Sheaffer Snorkel which is both thin bodied and puts down a very thin line.

I kind of thing that a Faber Castell Basic with F + converter + a bottle of GVFC black will serve the OP purpose for a start. Then can move on to something better. Bock nib is quite sturdy and doesnt feel as stiff as those on Pilots. Learning to use a FP takes some discipline though, one has to be more deliberate not to leave a FP uncapped for too long like one can do with a disposable fibretip pens. Learning to use a FP is a journey actually.... and the slope is pretty slippery!

I am assuming that the thin referred to the lines made and not the pen itself. If on the other hand if the OP wants a physically thin pen then a Lamy St with F nib is a fine candidate. Either that or its more expensive brother Lamy CP1.

Edited by shea2812