Asa Nauka - Enjoying At Last!

amk

I've waited to post my thoughts on the Nauka as I did have initial problems with the pen. And I still have a couple of niggles... but.... I really enjoy using the pen. It just seems to want to be in my hand.

You can tell I'm not a black pen person from the photo of the Nauka with the other pens I'm using at the moment. But I wanted this very streamlined shape in black. It seemed really suitable. (Unfortunately it's a fingerprint magnet! and being a tad OCD I keep reaching for the microfibre to keep it spotless, but it's a losing battle.)

http://i1058.photobucket.com/albums/t411/amk-fpn/nauka.jpg

The niggles? When I first got the pen I uncapped it, filled it, wrote for a bit, and went to put it away - only to find I couldn't get the threads to engage to screw the cap back on. Fortunately Mr Subramaniam being a member of FPN community was only a message away - there was a bit of a knack to getting the cap on, and after a couple of weeks' use the threads became much smoother. So this was just a teething problem. I think the design, with the threads very deeply placed inside the cap, may have just meant a bit of swarf got stuck there and unlike with a more usual design where the threads are easily visible, managed to sneak through initial inspection.

And I found the threads on the section were a bit too prominent and my fingers kept slipping on to them. Again this was partly a teething problem and I now have got round to holding the pen in such a way it doesn't happen, but maybe rounding off the lip on the section side a little might improve the pen.

Otherwise, the pen has been a real pleasure. It is relatively light in the hand, and I really enjoy writing with it, particularly if I want to write for an extended period. It looks beautiful, and writes very nicely - nib, feed and filling system all 100%.

Above all I should say this pen has stayed on my desk for nearly two months now and I've used it almost every day. Few pens stay around that long as I have a lot of pens and enjoy swapping them around. The other pens that have stayed longer than usual are Parker 51s, Pelikan m600s and m400s (and vintage 400s), my Edison Colliers and Hudson, and Platinum 3776s,. I think the Nauka is in pretty good company there.

I've posted a more indepth review on my blog.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• amk

• s_t_e_v_e

• Sasha Royale

• mehandiratta

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know that you are enjoying your's just like I'm enjoying mine. For me, ASA knocked it out of the park from day one. I'm really impressed with the implementation and given the price, it is an absolute value for money for me.

Hello !

I like your attitude. Like any friend, you found minor flaws in your Nauka. Some you can overlook. Others, you will accept as "character". None of my friends, human and otherwise, are perfect, but each is beautiful and each gives me joy.

. . . . . except my wife, of course. She is perfect, and beautiful, and flawless. :wub:

( :rolleyes: Wow ! That was close.)

Auf freiem Grund mit freiem Volke stehn.
Zum Augenblicke dürft ich sagen:
Verweile doch, du bist so schön !

Thanks for making me laugh, Sasha Royale!

I aim to chronicle the niggles as well as the joys, so anyone who has the same experience knows it's worth persevering. A bit like learning to ignore the 'ears' on the Lamy 2000, and oh boy, I'm glad I learned to love that pen.

Too many pens, too little time!

http://fountainpenlove.blogspot.fr/

. . . . . except my wife, of course. She is perfect, and beautiful, and flawless. :wub:

( :rolleyes: Wow ! That was close.)

ha ha ha ha

i hope she reads this post... she will understand the sarcasm....

vaibhav mehandiratta

architect & fountain pen connoisseur

blog | instagram | twitter